It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polls: More Americans afraid of GOVERNMENT than terrorists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I think most on ATS "get it", but I have seen a few defending the governments completely disproportionate and overwhelming response to the events in Boston, basically instituting Martial Law, but using the less threatening euphemism "shelter in place" instead.

There was no justification for this.

Everyday, across the country, there are swat teams on manhunts for person/persons just as dangerous to the public as these "terrorists" were claimed to be; there are killers and rapists who have escaped from jail, there are gangbangers who have killed innocents, serial killers - all on the loose and an extreme danger to the public - yet we see no martial law/shelter in place for them.

Anyway, here is the stark contrast on how Americans feels about their government vs terrorists:

According to a pair of recent polls, for the first time since the 9/11 terrorist hijackings, Americans are more fearful their government will abuse constitutional liberties than fail to keep its citizens safe.

Even in the wake of the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing – in which a pair of Islamic radicals are accused of planting explosives that took the lives of 3 and wounded over 280 – the polls suggest Americans are hesitant to give up any further freedoms in exchange for increased “security.”

For the first time since a similar question was asked in May 2001, more Americans answered “no” to the question, “Would you be willing to give up some of your personal freedom in order to reduce the threat of terrorism?”

I guess we appear to be learning, albeit slowly.........

Here is the article:

Link to Zero Hedge

As always I welcome any debate on the issue, but not attacks on the source, emotional baiting, ego diminishment etc.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I fear the people in government more because they're just not getting it. Our intervention (intrusion) in the Middle East is what's causing terrorist acts that kill innocent Americans. And, we aren't changing anything over there, meaning that those American deaths are all for nothing. The world is not a better place with the U.S. government playing at being the world police. We certainly aren't safer.
edit on 4/29/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The only thiing I can think of when reading your descriptions about serial killers and gang members and comparing it to the Boston Bombers is that if serial killers, gang members and the like were setting off IEDs killing people and wounding hundreds I bet there would be the same response.

Also, it wasn't Martial Law that was enforced.

With that said, I am in total agreement and I would be one of those who would have said I fear more the government over reaching and taking liberties than I do an occasional terrorist attack. To me (and I am likely to be flamed for this) there is a price to be paid for living in a free society. I am not saying that the government should have no role but at the same time I feel laws that limit my ability to protect mine and mine own are just much too intrusive and there is case after case of people protecting themselves only to be put under the scrutiny of law. When you take into account that cops are not bound to protect you or even respond then there is a rub with being charged for protecting what is mine and my own.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
In Canada we just had a faux terror incident which was manipulated and used to justify more right stealing anti terror laws

from the official definition of terror"

Official United States Government Definition of Terrorism

"[An] act of terrorism, means any activity that (A) involves a violent act or an act dangerous to human life that is a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State; and (B) appears to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by assassination or kidnapping."

(United States Code Congressional and Administrative News, 98th Congress, Second Session, 1984, Oct. 19, volume 2; par. 3077, 98 STAT. 2707 [West Publishing Co., 1984])

yeoldeconsciousnessshoppe.com...

So when you have top terrorists visiting the whitehouse while on the terroror list like Malaki, ADL directors grandsons like Pearlman(1), dancing israelis, bombings in the exact locations as the drill like 911 and london 77, congressmen adding black powdwer to gun bills using terror events like boston to justify it, and "martial Law", and bankers causing 1000 point drops in the stock market to get bailout bills passed, there is no doubt who the real terrorists are.
By definition (see above)

...and thats not even mentioning the constant war mongering of Israel and the constant international attacks on sovreign states by the NATO countries who justify it all with PROVEN total BS like "WMDs", and "bin laden is there"

mean while the fucushima dirty bomb, ticks away on a slow burn, and monsanto is poisoning all the corn
and congress just passed a bill that allows for them to be rewarded for their terrorist plotting by re-instating the RIGHT TO INSIDER TRADE...

thanks the places like ATS and media people Like rense and Jones though people are starting to wake up.
betcha now is to late

for you folks who might not like the mention of the state of Israel in an anti terrorist post:

The FBI lists Gadahn's aliases as Abu Suhayb Al-Amriki, Abu Suhayb, Yihya Majadin Adams, Adam Pearlman, and Yayah.

But Adam Pearlmen is his REAL name! Adam is the grandson of the late Carl K. Pearlman; a prominent Jewish urologist in Orange County. Carl was also a member of the board of directors of the Anti-Defamation League, which was caught spying on Americans for Israel in 1993, much as AIPAC has been caught up in the more recent spy scandal.
whatreallyhappened.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I fear our government the same as I would fear a monkey with a flame thrower.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Fear, that's what gives these monsters their juice, they feed off of it. Be very wary, stay vigilant, but fear no man or administration. I'm no fool, I don't want to hasten my departure from this life, but I realize that I won't physically live forever, so it's pointless to live in fear. That's just me, though.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The retards that scream terrorist are out to gets us, whether the "Russians are coming" or the "Al Queda are coming".. soon as people buy into it... faster the government can enact the laws....

Man, Canada's "Anti-terror"(well more like anti-people) law took 3 days to get reenacted and passed. Im in Canada because i don't want to live in States, now, Canada is becoming like states...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Lets look at the reasons they choose to lock down the whole city.

#1. The terrorist had allready placed bombs killing and wounding people.
#2. They were cought trying to place more bombs.
#3. They might allready have placed more bombs in different parts of the city(The police didn't know if they had)
#4. They killed a police officer when getting cought in placing more bombs.
#5. They took a hostage, and traversed a big part of the city, while trying to escape, police not knowing exactly where they were going.
#6. They might have more bombs(Which they had).
#7. They had a shootout with the police in a public street, throwing more bombs.
#8. The police lost track of them.
#9. To avoid innocent people to get harmed by the police, in a posible shotout.
#10. To avoid innocent people to get harmed by the terrorist in a posible shootout.
#11. To avoid innocent people to get harmed by bombs the terrorist might have placed in different parts of the city.
#12. To avoid the morning rushhour to complicate the search.
#13. To avoid the terrorist taking more hostage.
#14. To avoid the terrorist using public transportation, which could complicate things even more.
#15. To avoid them getting away, especialy after they lost track of them.
#16. I could place a lot of more points.

# 17. Ithink i made my point, that the lock down of the city, was not to scare the citizens, but more to protect them.

If the people are afraid of the government after above, well, i don't know....I never call any other person stupid, but in this case, they are stupid.
edit on 29-4-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2013 by Mianeye because: Varius spelling errors, there might be more i havn't located yet.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Yes, what a coincidence we had our "terror" scare within days of Boston happening, yet have had nothing for over a decade.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Just my thoughts... I don't give much credence to polls that have so few participants. I just hope people examine the link, evaluate who took these polls (The Washington Post and FOX News) look at the data, the number of participants and their demographics and compare earlier numbers to the numbers in these polls.

I agree with Terminal1 here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many people know my position on the lock-down, etc. (I'm generally supportive and don't buy the conspiracy theories), but had I been a respondent in this poll, I would have answered that I am more concerned that the government will go too far in investigating terrorist attacks than not far enough.

In the Washington Post poll, the numbers aren't very different than the 2006 numbers at all, considering they only polled 588 people around the country.

Worried government will go too far:
2006: 44% 2013: 48%

Worried government will not go far enough:
2006: 48% 2013: 41%

It's pretty evenly split considering the low number of respondents. I'm not sure these polls actually make the statement many are attributing to them.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Yes, and which one do you feel is more intelligent?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Originally posted by beezzer

Yes, and which one do you feel is more intelligent?

Trick question.

It's the flame thrower!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Two things come to mind here, when thinking about the government:

1. Give em an inch, and they will take a mile
2. Never let a good crisis go to waste ( even if they have to create one, in order to utilize it)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

6. And -- just your best guess -- who do you believe is more likely to be responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings -- Islamic terrorists or homegrown terrorists?

Wonder how people would have responded if they included an additional choice:

6. And -- just your best guess -- who do you believe is more likely to be responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings -- Islamic terrorists, homegrown terrorists or elements within our own government?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I fear the people in government more because they're just not getting it. Our intervention (intrusion) in the Middle East is what's causing terrorist acts that kill innocent Americans. And, we aren't changing anything over there, meaning that those American deaths are all for nothing. The world is not a better place with the U.S. government playing at being the world police. We certainly aren't safer.
edit on 4/29/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

Yeah some people "are not getting it" be nice if people actually bothered to open up a history book once in a while.

The East/West have been going at it for over 2000 years.

The Middle East themselves have been going at it for over 2000 years.

People sure do love to blame the US government for that remember it takes two to tango.

While most people only look back to 2000 with the last administration that pesky history comes up again like the Lockerbie bombing, the Beruit bombings,the Kobar towers, the USS Cole ,First World Trade center attack hell that goes back at least 4 administrations.

Sure enough nothing does change over there 2000 years of the old boss is the same as the new boss, but it raises my ire when people want to play the blame game, and its the same old dogma, " It's the US's fault".

What do people expect when those "terrorist's are clinging to their guns and religion" ?

Never mind I forgot no matter what the vilification of the US Government must go on.

For the record I am one of the most anti government people around, but when the criticism is legitimate.

Does that excuse US foreign policies for the last 50 years?

No.

But that other side of that coin is worse some people don't like to admit that,and never leaves home without their victim cards.

Alright they are victims of themselves,and their own "government's", and their own "religion".

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I fear the people in government more because they're just not getting it. Our intervention (intrusion) in the Middle East is what's causing terrorist acts that kill innocent Americans.

I honestly can't remember ever agreeing with you on anything, however on this point you are absolutely correct, IMO.

I am far more scared of my own government bringing down this country than any perceived outside threat, and I am so sick and tired of hearing about Americans and other innocents dying because of Washington's unlimited arrogance.

As for people waking up, it's become a race between that and the final destruction of our freedoms and this country, and so far the government terrorists are winning.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Does that excuse US foreign policies for the last 50 years? No.

What??? You just gave a whole speech on how I was wrong, and then pulled a complete one-eighty to agree with me. I loathe people that argue solely for the sake of arguing. Go away.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Our intervention (intrusion) in the Middle East is what's causing terrorist acts that kill innocent Americans.

So what part of innocent American's getting killed for the 40 years is someone missing?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I bet the government are more afraid of its own citizens than the so called "terrorists".

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
I bet the government are more afraid of its own citizens than the so called "terrorists".

That must be true because every time a person causes a tragedy, new laws are created to take away the rights of the entire country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join