It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An alternate means of transport for a SHTF scenario.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I hope you will all continue to post, but am headed to bed for the night.

Good night and good dreams to you all.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

RobertF, Good night to you too and kudos for a very interesting thread.

Wrabbit2000, I agree that the addition of any combustion engine would create a lot of noise. I wasn't considering the stealth factor. In that case electric motors do produce a fair amount of noise but could be contained more readily inside some kind of sound dampening "case".

I"m still inclined to think that if stealth is the goal, rails or roads will be very crowded places to be. If the entire rig was light enough, you may be able to take cover pretty quickly unless you were caught out in the open. On the other hand, in a SHTF scenario, a rig like this would be very valuable especially in the rush to get out of the more metropolitan areas. In that case I personally would sacrifice noise for speed.

Penny

edit on 26-4-2013 by pennylemon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

Awesome find OP. I may have to build me one of those bikes.
S+F

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
That is a clever idea best used to cruise abandoned railroads. I can see it sparking a new form of recreation.

While it seems important to escape to somewhere when TSHTF, in truth, if it is that drastic of an impact upon the local society, there is no escape. Better to sit tight. Yes, you can attempt to change your location for whatever reasons, but to do so is to truly step into the unknown. That "unknown" territory is only unknown to you as you set foot there or attempt to pedal through it.

What it really is, is another person's or group's territory. That means the advantages are all theirs. Expect roadblocks and ambushes. Better the former than the latter, but you will soon find yourself without your gear and maybe dead. To think that you will be allowed passage is fantasy. You will be in no position to argue or bargain. They will want and take whatever you have.

I find that most of us do not appreciate just how quickly the modern human will revert to basic urges. I urge everyone that hasn't seen it to obtain the movie The Road and watch it a couple of times. That is the reality of TSHTF.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

Wow..! s/f OP

I have never seen a railroad bike before. What a grand idea..!

However in a SHTF scenario methinks I will stick with the best 4x4 there is....

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Great idea. You could even build a cart to go behind it. Thanks for the pics.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
If you pumped the tires up really hard or made them solid, you would get real energy savings from riding the smooth rails instead of a track. As for the mule.... what do they taste like?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I still say the ultimate SHTF transport is the alterrain/urban dog sled

mushing!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
While I think my horse may be the best SHTF vehicle....

I'd recommend making something that can utilize the width of the track, and have wheels on both sides with the vehicle between the rails. You could even use the mechanics of a paddle boat for the pedal systems, and then have a cargo area in the back. Heck, you could even still use part of the fiberglass paddle boat to save on weight, and the rest as welded pipe for framing, with tough canvas.

Something like this idea:
Looks like they used a paddle boat style pedal system for this....

edit on 26-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just a thought, but had you considered a sail for power.
Of all the railroads I have seen, I have yet to see one with a "hill". Most change elevation by gentle grades.

I was thinking you could place a box for carrying supplies on the "out rigger" and also mount the sails mast there. A triangular sail @ eight feet tall would let you travel, even into the wind, with very minimal effort.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Wonderful, it looks like we shop at the same 4x4 dealership. In my area mules are also Great watchdogs. I do realize however, that not everyone can house and feed an escape/ hauler like this sweet model.

Penny

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

Do some research and see the kind of people that hang around the RR tracks. I can see the RR bike as a good mode of transport during good times but a death trap in a shtf event.

I'm opting for a dirt bike to get as far away from people as possible, isolate, watch and wait....

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

This company has done some interesting things with recombant /sail bikes.

Penny

www.pterosail.com...
edit on 26-4-2013 by pennylemon because: Whoops, forgot to add the link

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I wholeheartedly agree olaru1, Even now traveling the tracks can be pretty sketchy, which is why, If someone does need or plans to take to the tracks for escape, I would consider speed to be a top priority.

Penny

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'll teach the deer in my yard to pull a wagon. My hair is turning grey, soon it may be white.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pennylemon
reply to post by olaru12

I wholeheartedly agree olaru1, Even now traveling the tracks can be pretty sketchy, which is why, If someone does need or plans to take to the tracks for escape, I would consider speed to be a top priority.

Penny

For a look into the dystopian future after a shtf event; wannabe survivalist need to read or watch "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

When all the cons escape from prisons; their gangs will be a force to contend with. No Rules...No Mercy!!

edit on 26-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I have read the book olaru1 and I know from personal experience how crazy things can get and how quickly it can happen. I was living in Los Angeles during the Riots and was shot at three times trying to make it four blocks.

Penny

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The Gov still uses the railroads to move equipment around all the time. You would still have to avoid that.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

Indeed they do skorplus. As a matter of fact during the above mentioned riots the national guard used the tracks to transport troops and equipment and stationed themselves at all the nearby rail crossings to control movement for the duration.

Penny

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join