It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An alternate means of transport for a SHTF scenario.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Good Thread. I've always thought the railroad bikes were pretty cool. I think I remember seeing ads for these kits in the back of Boy's Life magazine when I was a kid (right next to the ad to build your own hovercraft). They're great if you know that the tracks are inactive or seldom used and if the SHTF, I would imagine all trains would most likely shut down anyway.

It would be even better if you could fabricate a cargo trailer to ride in tandem with the bike rig. You could cover some serious ground that way.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm bumping the "Urban Mushing" concept for post SHTF scenarios:

(Although I see no reason why the concept couldn't be shifted to use rail lines!)

A bit longer, but worth it if you are interested:

I've been mushing for a few years now, and believe me, it's a blast. Good exercise for the dogs, and a husky team can easily do 10 miles non-stop. I've thought about making an urban mushing thread, so perhaps when we go out this year, I'll grab some footage and post it. (Shooting video is not as easy as it looks during mushing!)

The commands are easy:

Hike up: Go faster.
Easy: Slow.
Whoa: Stop.
Gee: Right turn.
Haw: Left turn.
Leave it: Ignore whatever you're passing (other animals).
On-by: Ignore whatever you're passing (that bush that smells good!)

It's a cheap and easy method of travel, the dogs would also protect you, and hey, they're our companions anyway, even after TSHTF.

I was training a GSD to mush once, and we hit 35 MPH for sustained bursts. You won't get that pedaling on a railway without dog power.

The other interesting note, is that if you have ONE trained musher, you can hook any other dog to the gang line, and they all act in unison. Pack mentality at it's finest, but more like mental telepathy between dogs. Quite amazing.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I seems like this could be a sound plan. I like the on road off road options. M curious to know if you have thought about how you would go about providing food and water for your pack.

Penny

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I don't think it would be wise to cycle/walk through railway tunnels though, they would probably be teeming with wackjobs

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pennylemon

Dogs can drink from far more sources than humans can, a natural immunity to the various bugs that would otherwise make us humans sick.

Their dietary requirements are varied as well. They do well on a high protein diet, and fresh raw chicken is one on the best things to fed your doggie, however expensive it maybe. Basically any raw meat. Shoot a deer, carve the good meat off for human consumption, and give the doggies the rest. They can also survive on slightly "out of date" protein as well. They are much more hardy than we are.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
To add, I've never mushed more than 3 dogs at a time.

I've designed my own gang lines, and have a universal setup to accommodate an infinite number of dogs, (just keep adding section to the gang line) but I am comfortable with three, one as alpha, and two pullers. The alpha sets the pace, and is the best trained dog, and the pullers bear the load in unison, and in balance with the pace set. The line tension remains constant.

With a mountain bike, three dogs is more than enough power. Two is my preferred mushing for exercise number. Three dogs (or more) is like the Pony Express, bat out of heck running, while two know to conserve their energy. The dogs get tired midway, and I pedal while they walk, and catch their breath, then we hike up again. They sleep well after a good workout.

I recently lost my Alpha, there's a thread on here about Storm, so I have some reconfiguring to do.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by clemo
I don't think it would be wise to cycle/walk through railway tunnels though, they would probably be teeming with wackjobs

Have you forgotten to mount the AR15 between the handle bars?

P

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Honestly, this is sooo cool. And I have never heard of it before. TBH, before I clicked I was thinking about those old dudes in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"

The topic is something I have long considered. Living outside of a major metro area, there will be few unbeaten paths or roads less traveled if the SHTF.

Your thread has inspired me. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
While I think my horse may be the best SHTF vehicle....

I'd recommend making something that can utilize the width of the track, and have wheels on both sides with the vehicle between the rails. You could even use the mechanics of a paddle boat for the pedal systems, and then have a cargo area in the back. Heck, you could even still use part of the fiberglass paddle boat to save on weight, and the rest as welded pipe for framing, with tough canvas.

Something like this idea:
Looks like they used a paddle boat style pedal system for this....

edit on 26-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

Gazork, thank you for the reply.

I really like the design that you posted, but for me I think I am going to stick with the lighter bike design. For me it comes down to mobility, I want to be able to carry my transportation if I need to. There are many no longer maintained sections of track that I might need to traverse and in order to traverse the areas that will not allow for passage on a "rail bike", I would like to stick to a lighter breakdown version.

I think a design of the type you posted would be great for the more maintained sections of track, also you could make/purchase two of them and convert one of them to be a tow behind cargo trailer.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Sorry for the long leave of absence from the thread.

I have done a small amount of research on the topic of: "Railroad Maps". What I found was that maps are available for use, usually in PDF format. I did not find any one source for a comprehensive mapping of the U.S. railways.

I found that most states have individual websites that have accessible maps for both abandoned and maintained railways, but you need to search for specific areas to find these.

My advice would be to search for maps pertinent to the area in which you will be traveling in, and then print and laminate these maps for your use.

edit on 26-4-2013 by RobertF because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
A Little off topic here:

Never really thought about it before, but a collection of accurate maps would be a great item to barter with. Maps of areas in a SHTF situation would be very valuable I would think. The more detailed the better.

Looks like you could start printing copies of maps that could be usefull to others to barter with.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

throw a weed eater motor or a chain saw motor on their and
you can drasticaly increase the distance traveled without breaking
your back, plus you could rig up a basket on the tripod leg to carry
more stuff in.
This is a good idea, could see it being very useful in some situations

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Wouldn't it just be easier to ride on the railroad bed?

Seems like you have a lot of friction going on with this idea...but good idea anyway.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
reply to post by RobertF

throw a weed eater motor or a chain saw motor on their and
you can drasticaly increase the distance traveled without breaking
your back, plus you could rig up a basket on the tripod leg to carry
more stuff in.
This is a good idea, could see it being very useful in some situations

As dicussed earlier in the thread a gas powered motor would detract from the "stealth" application of this particular design.

But yees if stealth was not an issue a small motor would be very advantageous to the traveler.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24

Seems like you have a lot of friction going on with this idea...but good idea anyway.

Riding on the rail bed is a very very bumpy experience, after just a few miles you would be too exhausted to continue, and breakage to the bike after such a harsh ride would exponentially increase I would think.

I have rode a few rail lines for a short distance, you would not believe how rough they really are.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24

Riding on the rail bed is a very very bumpy experience, after just a few miles you would be too exhausted to continue, and breakage to the bike after such a harsh ride would exponentially increase I would think.

I have rode a few rail lines for a short distance, you would not believe how rough they really are.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

I've got you trumped.

A graphene-bagged dirigible with ducted fans for lift/thrust powered by the Clem motor. Hey, if I'm gonna dream...

Clem motor!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seamus

Your dream reminded me of some of the better steam punk novels I have read.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Many railroads in my area are built on embankments or berms, often higher than neighboring highways; this makes them visible at greater distances.

I could see using the rail network at night, with moonlit/starlit conditions.

I doubt few posse types would be willing to man railroad checkpoints after dark. You could use your railroad bike in the darkness. The dark ties and tracks would make it relatively easy in moonlight to see blockages ahead of you.

It would be a lot safer if you were using it on the same stretch of track each night; say, to bike into an urban center with a trailer, and expropriate the contents of a warehouse or a line of railroad cars.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join