posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:32 PM
alternate means of transport for a SHTF scenario.
Railroad bikes, are a little known fascination with a niche group of adventures. A common rail road bike looks fairly normal but it has a few
additions that allow it to ride on the rail ways. The additions include a guide wheel that goes on the bike just in front of the front tire and one
that goes on just behind the rear tire. Most of the designs that I have seen look to be adjustable so that you can level the bike properly and adjust
for different possible gauge sizes of the rail line. Adjusting to gage of rail seems to unlikely though due to the fact that almost all rail lines
run standard gage, and only of few places such as mines or other private rails use other than standard. The third addition attaches to either side
of the bike similar to a tripod to stabilize the bike on the second rail.
Benefits of using a rail bike for transport during a SHTF scenario:
1) No fuel needed
2) Does not use common roads, therefor avoiding manned road blocks, blocked roads.
3) Allows for a safe distance from town centers but close enough to allow for exploration.
I.e. most rail lines are on the borders of major town areas or in lower population areas.
4) repairs would be simple and easily found, also not under heavy demand like auto parts. 5)Increased speed of travel compared to rough, blocked road
Cons of using a rail bike for transportation during SHTF scenario:
1) Physical fitness required for bike is greater than that of driving.
2) If bike breaks requires knowledge of basic mechanics.
3) Blocked rail lines may require portage.
Here are some photos for you to consider:
I thought this might interest the folks here at ATS, I found it interesting and honestly a justifiable means of transportation if all hell breaks
What do you all think? Any modifications to the basic design? I know I would like to see a trailer addition so carrying of more supplies is