It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteers Go To Mars, The Catch? You Never RETURN

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
All i will say is, Why not send people to colonize the moon first? Its closer, more convient, safer, more logical, and would be a great place to test off world living and making a base or supply station on the moon would cut back time and make future voyages to other planets or parts of space easier...

hmmm i wonder why ohh yeah becuase theres "aliens" or something on the moon that told them don't come back to our turf
or its all bogus..Think about it people, why don't they send modern rovers,crews etc etc to the moon or dark side of the moon in modern time, yet they have glorious pictures, and missions of mars and everywhere else
LOLZ the deception is strong with this one.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Why does this sound like a bad syfy movie?? I foresee financial issues killing this project before it takes off. (No pun intended)

There was a mars simulation carried out in 2005 in Russia..you can see the results here:MARS 500 RESULTS

Apparently they tested immunology, sleep deprivation, and isolation while staying at a site in Moscow for 520 days. 5 cosmonauts spent that time sharing 180 square meters. ( which gives them each roughly 34sq meters of living space each compared to the 20 on Mars 1. )

: "There was no isolation in the isolation chamber." Each cosmonaut had at least a minimum amount of social contact; nobody was excluded from the group or withdrew from it.

This whole subject has me intrigued. No, I won't go, but man I would watch the daylights out of that reality show!!!

edit on 26-4-2013 by k21968 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
While the concept of the new martians not returning is humbling, the true travesty is me not living long enough for me to see a settlement just like on the movie Total Recall.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I have done a lot of reading regarding the whole Mars one way idea. In short, until we have the technology curve to pull such a thing off I think the idea is totally nuts for the following reason.

1. Does ANYONE have a space suit capable of working day after day, for YEARS? The NASA and Russians suits are extremely expensive, designed for short forays into space, not years of use. Any suits we take will have to work for a lifetime, unless they are resupplied periodically.
2. Radiation. Mars has no magnetic field and the atmosphere is too thin to protect anyone on the surface from radiation. How are colonists going to endure years and years of a high radiation environment, the likes of which we cant even imagine? Yes you can shield from radiation but is it realistic to think that it will be instantly available all the time?
3, Toxins. We dont know very much about the surface chemistry of Mars except in a few places. There could be some very toxic compounds there. More study is needed.
4. Psychological. How are people going to behave once they realize they are permanently stranded on a very hostile planet with no hope of ever going back? Will people crack up? How are they going to be dealt with?

I think the best way to colonize mars would be to send an army of drones and rovers, have them build a real colony, both above and below ground, that can handle the worst Mars can throw at us. We can send prefab modules and equipment, and have the rovers link, construct and activate them. We put up inflatable domes, start crops tended by ROV rovers. THEN we send people who land on fully constructed fortress of a base. and we HAVE to have the ability to return to Earth.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Sign me up!

Theres good in this world but I feel its overshadowed by the evil doers so if that means making an attempt to go to mars on a possible suicide attempt, at least the last thing I get to see is something that a handful got to experience, and I would like to think that at that very second RIGHT BEFORE the shtf in the shuttle.....

I will be in complete peace watching our planet from the outside before I disintegrate in the blink of an eye

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Ok, to put it simply:

You are going from this:

[

To this:

And you are NEVER coming back. Any chance people might change their minds once there?
edit on 26-4-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I am just so curious and I just have to wonder...why kind of person would want to go to Mars and never return? Why would they want to?
Have you looked at the world lately? At least on mars, I won't have to worry about paying taxes!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Will they be sending half naked Brazilian super models?

If so, please sign me up!
!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I thought that this was an excellent idea! At the rate us humans are going, our planet will probably only be habitable for another century or two. If we start colonizing space now, then when the time comes that we can't stay on Earth, we will have hopefully multiple places to go!

I wouldn't want to be in one of the first settlements on another Planet. Virtually no supplies, and honestly, the first people there are basically the guinea pigs. If they can't survive the conditions there, then they die, and we try elsewhere. Main point being that you die there.

Call me in a hundred years when they have cities spread through the cosmos

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Questions:

As far as I know, research and development for technologies facilitating the reprocessing of natural resources on Mars is still in its infancy. Have they somehow surpassed the world's leading space agencies in this respect? If so, how? Are there documented examples of this technology in a reliable, reproducible form?

This is important because they will only have what they take with them, and once that's gone, they'll have to use the raw materials and resources Mars can offer them. Which leads me to my next question. How are they going to extract water from Mars? Are they planning a landing site near suspected water sources, or near the poles? Do they have the technology to reprocess ice or other water containing substances on Mars into drinkable water?

Do they have the necessary technology to fabricate new space suits and oxygen sources once exhausted? Or are they simply taking sufficient protective gear and oxygen to last a small crew of colonists their prospective life times?

Is this truly a suicide mission by design, or do they plan to establish a lasting colony? If so, are they going to bring the technology to somehow terraform the planet or materials to construct a closed, livable environment for themselves?

Once their insulation wears out, are they bringing more with them? Do they have the technology to fabricate materials from the raw materials on Mars? To assemble them? To remove one suit and put on another in a safe, pressurized environment?

These are all basically the same question, which is: how do they intend to survive? Or do they intend to survive at all?

Peace.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by HomerinNC
I'd go, as long as I have my cokes and smokes lol

And my internet. No internet, no go!

They have internet. But it's Dial-Up!

And i heard there is already a Starbucks every 100 yards or so....

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BruceEFury

It kind of makes you wonder... for example the Apollo missions weren't suicide missions... maybe you don't have rocket boosters to get back but that doesn't make it a 'suicide mission'. To me calling it a suicide mission means the engineers are going to skimp on the technology that would already make it a disaster as far as space endeavors go... Seems a little shady just considering the language they are using in describing it... don't get me wrong I would personally still go... I don't think the human race has much to offer anymore considering the sheep that vote and have no perspective or frame of reference outside of what could be considered 'politics'... maybe in that new world you could find some logic and reasoning and not a bunch of people that think that just because they have a voice to communicate what they 'feel' doesn't make it right and doesn't mean that whatever they are saying came from a logical perspective or outcome...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by caladonea

I am just so curious and I just have to wonder...why kind of person would want to go to Mars and never return? Why would they want to?

I would do it. I would do it faster than you could blink.

Why? Well how bad can it be? Without getting into too many details, life on this planet sucks! However, give me an opportunity to create a civilization? A Government? A way of life? A chance to make a better world than the one I know?

Absofreakinlutely! Sign me up! I couldn't think of a better gift to give to humanity.

Something tells me that elites need work slaves to help colonize mars. That's why you can never come back its because once you get there and figure out you just sighned yourself up for forced labour camps then your gonna deffinatly wanna come back. We would all be diggin holes for the rich so that they can have plumbing and hot
showers on mars.

Or they would make us go deep underground and make us mine mars for its resources
edit on 27-4-2013 by Deceasedfantasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I'd personally like to volunteer:

Kanye West
Lady Gaga
Justin Bieber
Nicki Minaj
Adam Levine
Jay Z
Bill Maher
Anderson Cooper, Chris Matthews, Bill O'Reilly
Both houses of the United States Congress
The Entire British Royal Family
...and Phil Collins

Please send these people to Mars, never to return. Thank you.

edit on 27-4-2013 by DirtyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
is it free?

or do we still have to pay for this?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Why wouldn't you want to go?

Once you are past the point of having kids (if any are planned) and you have seen them into adulthood then why not? People moaning about it being a suicide mission are missing the obvious, life is a suicide mission you have to go on.

At some point you are going to die, probably alone and stripped of dignity in a ward where a nurse has had to wipe your arse for several months. We all have the same destination, what matters is what you do on the way there. Does dying in an accident on Mars sound worse?, really?

Humanity needs to get all its eggs out of one basket, its a long road but the sooner we start the sooner we'll be multi planet.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not lamenting it being a suicide mission. I'm just asking questions in an effort to clarify if in fact that's what it is. What is the intention of the mission? To at least attempt to establish a temporary or lasting colony on Mars? Or simply to prove that travel to Mars is possible and then to die there once oxygen, water, food, and/or insulation are depleted?

If people wish to end their lives on Mars - or anywhere for that matter - that's their business as far as I'm concerned. I just don't want them to be misled into it is all. Some people have expressed the desire to start a new government and colony on Mars, and I don't feel that it's clear that's what the mission would be. Or if it is, how they intend to go about it.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not lamenting it being a suicide mission. I'm just asking questions in an effort to clarify if in fact that's what it is. What is the intention of the mission? To at least attempt to establish a temporary or lasting colony on Mars? Or simply to prove that travel to Mars is possible and then to die there once oxygen, water, food, and/or insulation are depleted?

If people wish to end their lives on Mars - or anywhere for that matter - that's their business as far as I'm concerned. I just don't want them to be misled into it is all. Some people have expressed the desire to start a new government and colony on Mars, and I don't feel that it's clear that's what the mission would be. Or if it is, how they intend to go about it.

Peace.

Im not convinced this particular thing is anything more than a scam. They wont have the financial muscle to actually do it.

I was defending the principle more than Mars One.

I think we should settle Mars. First as an exploratory outpost, then a full colony, then a civilisation. Sending people knowingly on a one way trip is the way to do it (with their full consent of course). Returning people is wasteful.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BruceEFury

What is the circle structure on the inside of the largest crater? Looks....unnatural.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

That's my fear as well. I completely agree that we should settle Mars. I just want to make sure it isn't a scam as you said. The questions I'm asking, if answered, might lend these people credibility, or detract from it.

Peace.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join