It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteers Go To Mars, The Catch? You Never RETURN

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Please continue posting in the orignal thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

sorry everyone does it to me

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
yeah already been done in other thread and as i say will never happen in my life time....to mars the moons only up the road and we aint even close to putting humans on there to stay never mind trying it on mars.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

By that logic, would they also acquire my debt?

Show me where to sign up!

Also this is fascinating, after reading the entire thread, I had to add more...it would definitely take an adventurous spirit to want to take this trip and a sturdy mind to be able to withstand the stresses and just the mind-blowing reality of being alone and trapped in space and then alone and trapped on Mars for the rest of your life. Also, it will be weird to realize that you didn't know the people you were going to Mars with. I can, however, see the benefits of attempting to colonize Mars, or at least trying to send people there. But in order for it to make sense to capitalists there has to be an economic gain, so we will probably figure out something to mine there, or maybe just send all our garbage and nuclear waste from Earth to there or something mundane such as that. I can see the interest in being one of the first people to see and touch Mars though, outside of the history books thing. There's just so much that we don't know that we could learn by sending people there. And as far as people losing interest in going to the moon, I am actually very interested in people going to the moon, I know a lot of other ATSers would allow tune in if people were going to the moon.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Sacrilicious because: content

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Why? Australia has turned out pretty good. I reckon a mix of convicts (if anything, they would see it as a second chance) and nutters (eccentric people have really great left field ideas) and a few normal (whatever normal might be) seems to be a great way to get the ballrolling on Mars.

Actually, I might even have to look into this a bit more. What a way to finish off a full life here on earth ................. go to another world and experience what some 7 billion individuals will never experience.

Just have to make sure they supply cyanide capsules or something so if things go pear shaped, there would only be a few seconds of pain and discomfort. Because the death side of things ain't too bad, we all have to go there some day, it's the potential pain. It's one of my biggest allergies

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatfriendbadfoe
Just have to make sure they supply cyanide capsules or something so if things go pear shaped, there would only be a few seconds of pain and discomfort. Because the death side of things ain't too bad, we all have to go there some day, it's the potential pain. It's one of my biggest allergies

Um, death by cyanide lasts minutes, and on a full stomach potentially hours, and is rather painful.
They always use it as the go to poison because it usually ensures death.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

and I was actually thinking about this about a month ago. We easily have the technology to send people to Mars, the problem is, returning would be near impossible. Gravity would be much higher there, so leaving the atmosphere would be very difficult.
If we really wanted to, we could have a man on mars in 6 months time. There'd just be no return.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
How much beer will they have in those Mars Bars?

Probably watered down Haarps, I couldn't help it. But strictly off
topic, I've seen some of the cocktail waitresses (excuse me ladies,
Personal Servers) and I hope the age limit's 70. "LUUuunch!"
Oh boy THREE free buffalo things.
Or was that a different movie... "I hate "_ _ _ _in' Mars."
Cmon guys I've got more Simulator time than Senator Glenn.
And back to topic: a previous post gave some inkling the PTB
expect a somewhat toxic party back on Terra? SAYitain'tso.
With the present advances in technology and the propensity for
things to crook up quicker all the time, I WOULD hate getting
my air cut off for missing a payment..

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BruceEFury

There will be no trip to Mars soon...period.

Will there possibly be "settlers"? Maybe.

Movie set out in the desert someplace.

I have no doubt they will "never come home" either.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
For all those interested I would suggest an experiment first:

Lock yourself in the bathroom for as long as you can. Say it a week? A month?
It's going to be million times worse than that.......

IF this happens... We will witness the first suicide off Earth, the first mental collapse off Earth, possibly even the first mass suicide off Earth.

We are not psicologically prepared to endure such a one way trip within such conditions... Lack of vital space CAN kill you, not to say many other ifs..

It's easy to say I'd go when you're here.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
or
"Hi! I'm your new room mate...name is Hannibal"

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

You do realize how much technology is suppressed? All of you said is possible, autopilot, cures for cancer, etc.... but do you honestly believe they would release them?

Most of what you see in movies is already possible, trust me. The best technology are only reserved for those who have the power to take it.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

OK then whatever cocktail they gave to my old german shepherd. He didn't look like he suffered and it was quick. But you get my drift. An amazing last life experience concluded with a less than painful death. And to the poster who reckons there would be mass suicides, maybe, maybe not. I sure wouldn't mind giving it a shot as long as my "allergies, ie pain" were accounted for : ) Heck I'm 60+ that means the last little bit of my life would be serving a purpose instead of wasting the air down here. Wouldn't even mind sharing the experience with what people would consider the not so wanted on our planet like murderers, rapists, thieves, politicians, lawyers, religious believers and heck, why not, even muslims. There ya go, talk about tolerant

just re read your post ghost, isn't the gravity less on mars? just sayin. so we'd even end upbeing strong men up there able to bound over a locomotive like a speeding bullet
edit on 25-4-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: extra

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Just as a matter of er................oh yeah, interest. What would such 'Volunteers' do for food and water???? And maybe Oxygen would be handy. Just imagine where do they take a shower? And no doubt the Thunder Box would act like a compost heap.....

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is how depopulation begins...dumping people on Mars.

I don't know why it's funny, but it is.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Get marooned on a barren, rocky planet with nonbreathable air. Talk about a catch to end all catches for someone weighed down by the chaos and negativity pervading Earth.
Even to someone with escapist urges who loves that kind of landscape, the trip and subsequent colonization task sounds too boring and physically uncomfortable for consideration. Assuming I qualified.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
No hesitation ill go no drama. But everyone back on earth has to understand IF i go the land i claim now is all my land. I would not mind owning a large portion of mars.

The second we step on the the surface Earth laws do not apply, as there will be no way of enforcing them, The new colony will be called Neon Federation.

Good luck and see you all on the flip side.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The power of any yourney is the knowledge in the back of the skull , that some day you will reach the place it all started : Home

i would go bat crazy , so i will wave at the others when exiting our skies
goodluck and godspeed

TheGreazel.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I always thought the missions to mars were about it being in case we need to escape our planet. Eventually we will have to escape for one reason or another.

Don't they have colonies already set up on earth that mimic mars? There are are mars simulation laboratories that are being tested. Seems its the most suitable planet we earthlings could survive on.

I have no interest in dying on Mars.. Sounds horrible. I don't think you can go outside in the atmosphere or temperatures there. You would go crazy. My guess is the people who go will commit suicide there.

These are the people that applied
Mars One

Check out Melissa from the UK

edit on 26-4-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Oh I didn't see right away this would be a televised reality show.

It will televise the 10-year process — from astronaut selection and training, to launch, landing and Martian

Link

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LordAdef

I completely agree and what would make it worse is the one way ticket. You can't even have when you go home to look forward to. It will be horrible, they will wish they never went. It would take them about 6 months to a year to get used to it, and still not like it. They will miss so many things from home. Simple insignificant things.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
But why tho? Really though? WHY...

Spends BILLIONS to do this, but not one good reason why. Don't tell me "oh well to make a new habitable planet and terraform it" bullcrap.

Not one good reason? The rover just drew a penis on mars's surface, imagine all the penises a team of people could draw!
edit on 26-4-2013 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join