It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If ATS is the face of the conspiracy movement...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
So, i had this thought participating in another thread i start earlier and i thought that this is another separate issue i would like to see be discussed. I googled conspiracy website and ATS came up as the second site...

The reason i'm saying we are the face is because of this. ATS has a higher standard for the delivery of information and the members and staff of this site hold everyone to a higher standard. This allows us to see perspectives from a lot of people who are professionals in their fields and respected members of their own communities in real life that we may not otherwise get on some of the more nutter and out there conspiracy sites. All this and not to mention i think a lot of more well known people are using this site for ideas and not telling anyone, Joe Rogan, Alex Jones, and there are many others i just cant think of it off the top of my head.

Heres are some of the questions i have...

Are we really apart of the forefront of this movement?

If we are, what ideas should we really be spreading?

Should we be collectively deciding on this more as a community?

I'm trying to really get at the idea thats in the back of my mind here but im thinking some others on this site may be able to finish my thoughts better for me.

What do you guys think, are we it or what?
edit on 16-4-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

ATS has a higher standard

Nope...the management does....the members sometimes make conspiracy look like a joke from a bunch of scenile internet retards who either have no class or have no shame in what they write as a thread.

I joke about it this way.
If someone stubbed their toe,I would not put it past them to scream someone else did it,like the illuminati or NWO or some brown people.

The realization I have had is this,I used to be very into conspiracy until I was a member here for awhile....now most times i just shake my head at what people think is a conspiracy.

edit on 16-4-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My question is this, who is watching this site, it's users, and what are they doing with the data? I think I already know the answer, and every time I click reply I feel like I'm apposing my own instinct for self preservation. There is one side of me that will talk crap even when I am getting my ass kicked, the side that says if you don't speak up in the face of danger your already dead. The other side is so disgusted with humanities collective complacency I believe we have this coming. Either way the endgame is in full swing, buckle your seat belts!

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I've honestly though that as far as conspiracies go, this is a social site for alternative information and it stops there.

Have there been any serious petitions pushed by ATS? Or groups formed from ATS that helped out the world.
Other than "stop cispa" I don't know.
edit on 16-4-2013 by NotAConsumer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I'm a little hesitant about approaching ATS this way. If we attempt to divide it into "more worthy" or "less worthy" data, we run the significant risk of creating a Republic/Democrat political race that results in division then collapse as we all fight to be right.

The worst thing we can do is elevate any one subject above the rest, any one article above the rest, or elevate any one member above the rest except by general consensus and with room to make changes. In other words, exactly what we're already doing. All exaltation or trashing is done with the flow of users both privileged and nonprovileged, giving no one person all the influence or power.

I'm just saying that equality is the safest bet. We're running a discussion forum, not a campaign.
edit on 16-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

It's written in the T&C that there is no recruitment for any reason and termination of account is immediate. So what movement are you talking about? Denying Ignorrance and putting blatent facts in front of the reader? Meh~

And ATS would have been number on google search. The one above is a list of all the sites... So technically speaking number 1 pending your perspective.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Almost of the complaints I have about this site are complaints I have with 99% of the forums that I have visited or continue to visit. This is just like any other group of people. A few winners and a whole lot of losers. Personally I keep coming back for those few winners. I have to dig through the muck a little bit more than I would like to get to some real content but its still here. ATS is still much better than all of the other "major" conspiracy boards Ive been to.

Bottom line is when you are dealing with people on the internet, beware. You still have to investigate everything on your own anyway so try not to get too wrapped up in the garbage you dont believe. Concentrate on the others here that provide interesting topics and evidence. Take that and start your own search there.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck

Still I dont see this site as a conspiracy movement at all. Its a conspiracy hang out. Wonder how can we change that.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

If ATS is the face of the conspiracy movement...

Really sick of the word, 'conspiracy'.

We are not the dogs sleeping at the foot of the bed. We are the ones outside barking when there is something wrong.

Ignore us... make fun of us even but, do so at your own peril.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAConsumer

I dont think its ATS's job to be a movement. I think they actually would like to avoid that. We are very much a social site with aternative topics. Members here get to discuss fringe topic with some like-minded people and if you want to start a movement based off of what you learn here, feel free. But this is not a tool that any special interest should expect to use. That simply isnt its purpose.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

So what movement are you talking about? Denying Ignorrance and putting blatent facts in front of the reader? Meh~

Exactly, and the sad part is is that we actually need this to move forward as a species.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It is filled with anti-semites,anti-muslims,anti-china,anti-government people who regularly clash.

edit on 16-4-2013 by MyLifeRocks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Are we the face of any movement?

I think not really. What we are is an indicator of public awareness and opinion. As our numbers swell one can get a really good idea of the levels of disenfranchisement and disgust that the people have towards society. Even the most ridiculous threads and posts tend to, IMO, be an indication of that angst and mistrust that is sweeping through most societies on the globe.

Whether we be American, European, Asian, Aussie, Africaans, or any other group I am failing to mention, that need to voice frustration seems to me to be the common denominator here.

Sadly we end up missing the mark in two places. One, ATS is not meant to be a revolutionary vehicle. It's more the town coffee house than it is the courthouse steps. Two... we tend to eat our own. Rather than embracing our similarities and common interests, we end up devolving into war over the subtle differences of opinion that we may have. This is all within human nature and history is replete with such events. Even the famed Framers and early Patriots of the USA - my own nation - were prone to infighting and strong disagreement. But when it came time for them to act, they did manage to put aside their differences long enough to make a stand.

Are we, as a people, strong and intelligent enough to do the same? I honestly cannot say.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MyLifeRocks

It is filled with anti-semites,anti-muslims,anti-china,anti-government people who regularly clash.

That is such a loaded statement that you might take some heat.
You might be called a government shill,a jew,a muslim,pro government,pro China etc etc.

Thats the problem.
You joined a few days ago so I won't bust yer tomaters and i don't even want to know where you stand because your beliefs are yours and not mine.
People behave based on experiences they have and not everyone has the same experiences so its fine.

Its ok to believe what you want....just make some threads that might inspire good conversation without the hate that might get others to think.
A DUMB youtube video that might be made by a 12 year old with a line like "check it out" makes me cringe.
Happy surfing and welcome.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Rather than embracing our similarities and common interests, we end up devolving into war over the subtle differences of opinion that we may have.
Unfortunately our differences are much more than just "subtle" ones. Some members here believe that it is ok to rob Peter to pay Paul Others prefer that Paul pay his own way. If Peter decides to help Paul, that is Great! However Paul often wants to use force to take from Peter. To me, that will never be "ok". Obviously the "moochers", Paul in this case, and the "producers", Peter, are not going to get along very well. Since 47% of the nation now identifies more closely with Paul than Peter, we have very little common ground.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
See?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff I'm back on my phone but I want to respond to your well thought out post when I get back.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

See?
You consider that a "subtle" difference? The two points of view are antithetical to each other.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I disagree. But furthering that discussion would derail this thread into areas it was not intended to go down. This is not a taxation thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Is stating "the conspiracy movement"
Any different from
"The Religious movement"
Or
"The Political movement"
Or
"The Art movement"

Dont you just hate generalizing and labelling?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join