It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious swaying plant stumps the internet!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Mysterious Swaying Plant Video Stumps The Internet

The best guess is that this is a closed palmetto that catches the slightest breeze and goes crazy. Of course I think that is correct but still found the video footage interesting.

A video of an odd, swaying plant mystified the Internet this past weekend. Two clips posted to YouTube by user jethack show a fairly large leafy protrusion vigorously bouncing side-to-side, seemingly of its own accord. It doesn't look like there's wind blowing any of the other leaves nearby, but a commenter speculated it's probably just a closed palmetto frond that can catch any slight breeze and go crazy

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This was posted the other day and I believe that we came to the conclusion that its from a gopher or mole underground that is running into the roots.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
There is a very amused gopher under there with a laptop counting his page views

Either that or it's a baby Triffid

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
My first thought is that there may be some sort of animal inside the plant and its movement in trying to escape is what makes the plant move.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ummm aerodynamics? Bernoulli effect? High and low pressure.............Lift?

There is your explanation.

It's swaying in the breeze aided by this effect.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Ummm aerodynamics? Bernoulli effect? High and low pressure.............Lift?

There is your explanation.

It's swaying in the breeze aided by this effect.

This was my first thought also, either that or a blatant hoax

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

Spot on

It lifts then stalls, lifts, then stalls, lifts, then stalls etc etc etc
edit on 15-4-2013 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is the best answer I can find as to why. From a post on reddit.

This is the answer I came here to post. Look at the flora in the background moving in the light breeze. When he zooms in on the plant, you can see the leaf has been bent convexly, thus creating a rounded foil. The light breeze is simply spilling off the sides of the foil, and when the plant gets "blown" all the way to one side, the stem of the plant torques and the foil faces the other way. This allows the air to be spilled off the opposite side, pushing the plant in the other direction. Repeat that process over and over and you get a "waving plant". The same general principle dictates why a flag flutters back and forth.

Reddit

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hoax.
Watch carefully and you can see the stem at the bottom bend in the direction its about to go, thats the complete opposite of what the wind would do.
Somebody got an arm down a hole wiggling it about.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
This is the best answer I can find as to why. From a post on reddit.

This is the answer I came here to post. Look at the flora in the background moving in the light breeze. When he zooms in on the plant, you can see the leaf has been bent convexly, thus creating a rounded foil. The light breeze is simply spilling off the sides of the foil, and when the plant gets "blown" all the way to one side, the stem of the plant torques and the foil faces the other way. This allows the air to be spilled off the opposite side, pushing the plant in the other direction. Repeat that process over and over and you get a "waving plant". The same general principle dictates why a flag flutters back and forth.

Reddit

So not a Gopher trying to go viral on youtube?

%^$#@

Nothing cool ever happens once we get into the science....

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
A small rodent or large insect underground gnawing on its dinner seems more of a plausible explanation than some freak tiny gust of wind blowing it about and nothing else around it being disturbed in the same way.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Ever so slight breeze... upside down pendulum.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
This was posted the other day and I believe that we came to the conclusion that its from a gopher or mole underground that is running into the roots.

Thanks. I didn't find it in a search. This is why we are asked to stick to the original story headline and use IT rather than make up our own "unique" headline in the presentation of a news story which makes sense for obvious reasons, you can find it in a search... but again...thanks.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

"Thank you", this is brilliant and of course, highly humerous,

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Nice find but its just a distraction to me that I wont put too much thought into. Unless there's some crazy explanation that changes science or something. :3

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

My best guess is - someone has a thread attached to it!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAConsumer

Like it

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Remote controlled metronome.

Our product line is specifically designed to help you achieve precision and cohesion- from the beginners in your program to your most advanced ensemble. We help you maximize rehearsal efficiency through metronomes that are remote controllable, programmable, and easy to use.

digimetmetronomes.com...

Plus corn leafs.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

been did
The guy who actually shot the video posted on that thread
edit on 15-4-2013 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
people please! a litlle critical thought needs to happen here.

The very moment the guy say"nothing else is moving here" look in the back ground, there's a lot of movement going on in the foliage including another palmetto sprout in the background doing the same thing.

No wonder so many of you believe every ghost, UFO, and jesus stain video/ picture you all see!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join