It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddity on Google Mars?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cynicaleye

Good find. Whatever it is , it is interesting to speculate. I'm going with the meteor theory just because of the black trail.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
There aren't any volcanos in New Mexico.

So what could this possibly be?

It's very blue.
Suspiciously blue.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Why does this look like the beginning of a bad Transformers movie. Okay, so it may not be a Deceptacon or some "ancient" but Richard C. Hoagland, has written about structures on mars similar to this www.enterprisemission.com...

It definitely looks artificial against the "natural" landscape.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Hi-Res Link

Still looking into this...but here is a similiar picture.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Bingo!

Here is your answer:

On Mars, Dry Ice 'Smoke' Carves Up Sand Dunes

In Mars' polar regions, carbon dioxide freezes up to 2 feet thick. As the Sun begins to thaw the ice it turns into a gas. The gas release carries dark sand and dust, moving them down the steep sides of the dunes.

edit on 14-4-2013 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Normal crater with ice and dust blown out of one side due to prevailing seasonal winds.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by eisegesis

Your video shows surface and looks nothing like the OP's picture.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Staroth

Your video shows surface and looks nothing like the OP's picture.

Can you please be a little more clear?

The phenomenon is driven by the springtime thawing of a surface layer of frozen carbon dioxide, also known as dry ice.

This thawing occurs first on the ice layer's underside, which is in contact with the warming ground, researchers said. The dry ice sublimes from a solid state to a gaseous one, and pressure builds as more and more gas is produced and trapped.

Eventually, cracks form in the ice and some of the carbon dioxide gas breaks free, forming temporary grooves in the dune as it hisses out.

The escaping gas also carries sand, which forms dark streaks as it spills across the dry ice covering the dune. These dark fans disappear as the seasonal ice evaporates, and Martian winds erase most of the newly formed grooves before the next winter and springtime roll around.

Watch the video, you might learn something.

edit on 14-4-2013 by eisegesis because: Added more info...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticEngineer
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Sure, or you can go here for the real explanation, but basically it's a filled crater with collapsed side.

PSP_010086_2615

What "crater"? No crater has got a a black hole within where we can't see the bottom. That's no crater, it's a perfectly-round hole, or sinkhole, that it's in most part filled-up, or covered. And the crater theory doesn't explain that wide band-like trail of exactly the same width, leading straight to that hole.

The crater explanation is just a cheap, weak explaining away of something that's either artificial, or a geological oddity that should be looked into seriously.

And there are at least two other gigantic, circular holes on Mars that haven't been examined by NASA yet.
edit on 14/4/13 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There will always be the "it's a rock" response for these type of pictures. The thing I find funny is that we at ATS always come up with "it's a rock" whilst world + dog goes into overdrive over this sort of thing

and again here

The upshot of all this is that some random dot from photographed from space, if presumed to come from Earth, is a great find whilst another random dot that isn't presumed to come from Earth, is a rock/crater/geological formation/anything but IT IS DEFINITELY, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER of unknown origin.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd

This looks like a UFO for sure..... metallic, round, shining, reflecting, and there is a path it came from as it crashed, and its even half under the sand

some of the movements in the sand on top of it suggest this picture was taking as it was crashing

These Aliens are proving to be rubbish drivers, crashing every which where.

Lady alien drivers?

Just jesting ladies...Love you all

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Looks like a heat shield or parachute to me. Could be part of the landing systems for any of the recent American landers. Or it could be Russian.

Hard to get a grasp on scale though, and if it's old, it should be much more weathered.
edit on 14-4-2013 by 0x00000017 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2013 by 0x00000017 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

You mean holes such as this one? You can see the bottom there.

Pictures: Giant Mars Pits Revealed in Sharp Detail
edit on 14-4-2013 by MysticEngineer because: (no reason given)

Dark Rimless Pits in the Tharsis Region

Also, you might be right, maybe it's no crater, but a filled sinkhole. But whats the big deal.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It looks to me as if a small asteroid entered the martian atmosphere at a slight angle and either impacted the old crater, or exploded very close to the surface, exposing the frozen CO2 ice underneath. Because of high surface winds, the disrupted basalt rock has been carried by the wind and blown into the pattern shown. The heavier debris has collected along the sloping wall of the old crater, and the lighter debris is being blown over the crater´s edge and away from it, forming the wispy pattern we see. It must be fairly fresh. Looking at the impact area, it seems to be in a roughly clam shell shape, carved in a scoop like fashion, with the deepest part showing up the brightest in the picture. Perhaps because of evaporation, either a portion of the impact crater´s wall has destabilized and a landslide of basalt has fallen back into the impact crater, or the frozen CO2 has evaporated and the underlying besalt has been reexposed. Great pic!
edit on 14-4-2013 by fockewulf190 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynicaleye
70°39'27.99" S 48°15'23.56" E

I have come across this on Google mars (yes, i know), I would usually rubbish anything found on there yet this interests me. It could be a mapping glitch but then why is there a black trail behind the blue object/glitch? Is this just a regular occurrence in the landscape that i'm not aware of? Could it be a comet/meteorite?

Here is another article describing the color.

Curiosity's looking a little blue

The color has been enhanced and I'm assuming the picture you posted has been too. Basalt is a bluish grey rock and covers most of mars. An asteroid struck exposing the basalt. The carbon dioxide then freezes in the winter and at the poles collecting in these craters on top of the basalt giving it the bluish color.

And the streaks:

The process happens every Martian spring. The frozen carbon dioxide — dry ice — lies in layers on the dark basalt formations below it. During the thaw, the first ice to "melt" is the layer closest to the dark and sandy surface. What is really happening is the frozen CO2 is thawing into its gaseous state and building up enormous pressure under the surface of the top ice. Eventually, the pressure causes cracks in the surface where the gas jets out, forming grooves on the surface and brining up bits of the basalt and sand with it.

Once released, the CO2 condenses, dragging the surface material back down with it. Those dark fans formed on the surface show where the CO2 landed after escaping under extreme pressure. If there's some wind, the fans can be even more pronounced and streaked.

SOURCE

This is my best educated guess and yes I admit, is not the end all answer like I said earlier.
edit on 14-4-2013 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The OP´s picture shows a singular event. What your source URL is showing appears to show multiple clusters of small eruptions similar to your NASA video you posted.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

This is not a singular event, it is just a really good example of what I am putting forward.

The location of that crater is about 400 miles from this pictures location, pretty much at the pole. This is a perfect location for this anomaly to happen. The picture also gives credibility to the color. My guess is that the original pictures color has been enhanced and does not really look that out of this world when compared to other nearby weather anomalies with less of an effect.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Perhaps your right. However, considering how thin the Martian atmosphere is, smaller asteroids are going to have a much better chance of penetrating the atmosphere and hitting the surface. It appears to me that the picture could be showing just such an impact site caused by a small asteroid. As you can see from the visual evidence, many asteroids have hit the surface...and this photo just happens to show the event inside, of all places, an old impact crater! It could be a pressure explosion, but I would have expected to have seen at least one more somewhere within the immediate area. Still, you could be right.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
No Problem, we'll fix it with Photoshop.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy565
I'll say what everyone is thinking but are afraid to say.....I'll say it......Martians!

I think its E.T to Mars too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join