It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddity on Google Mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynicaleye

Looks like some sort of "ufo" that's crash landed and buried itself under the sand/earth.

nice find!

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It's clearly a Meteorite. You can see how it came in at an angle and carved out it's path. This isn't some pixel garbage. Yeah, Sometimes what you see, is actually what you get. It just so happens that when these images were taken, it was crashing into the surface of Mars.

Check out the Mars base on google Earth (already been posted here at ATS I know), now that is really interesting. Not that this isn't interesting as well. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I saw that same oddity and pinned it as a curiosity. There sure seems to be a trench mark where it came in.

I wonder what the white cloud is in the image?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Is this the same feature, or just a similar feature:

www.google-earth.es...

Lol why am i always the only one....

This looks like a UFO for sure..... metallic, round, shining, reflecting, and there is a path it came from as it crashed, and its even half under the sand

some of the movements in the sand on top of it suggest this picture was taking as it was crashing
edit on 13-4-2013 by WanderingThe3rd because: (no reason given)

LOL, if all these Alien races are supposed to be so advanced, why do they crash so much. ?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by fockewulf190
reply to post by eisegesis

Perhaps your right. However, considering how thin the Martian atmosphere is, smaller asteroids are going to have a much better chance of penetrating the atmosphere and hitting the surface. It appears to me that the picture could be showing just such an impact site caused by a small asteroid. As you can see from the visual evidence, many asteroids have hit the surface...and this photo just happens to show the event inside, of all places, an old impact crater! It could be a pressure explosion, but I would have expected to have seen at least one more somewhere within the immediate area. Still, you could be right.

This crater, caused by an unknown body, is one of only seven discovered by the HiRISE team that shows the planet's subsurface ice. Even though about half of Mars is thought to have buried ice, such craters are hard to find. That's because the camera most easily spots craters in dusty regions, where the impact blows out a wide swath of dark material that stands out against the bright surface.

Martian Ice Exposed

This is fascinating. A really neat find if stumbled upon by just browsing Google mars.

If you are entertaining my view of this whole thing, then now we know why there aren't any more in the immediate area.

Good observation.

MRO Discovers Ice in Craters
edit on 14-4-2013 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
My first thought is sunlight refracting off of escaping gases. We know that Mars is quite volcanic, although I do not think anyone really knows to what extent this volcanism is dormant. There has been much speculation, and even hard data, but at the end of the day it is difficult to be all that accurate from so far away. Or, maybe it is superheated water or some other substance, catching the sunlight and appearing as what we see in the photographs. I say this is a good option because there appears to be a volcanic mound directly under the spot in question. So putting two and two together, the most obvious explanation is that what we see has something to do with this mound. The only thing I am sure it is not is space aliens. Well, that and carrots. I know it is not a carrot. It probably isn't a dog either, nor a star. Let's keep this going, and rule out as much as we can. Probably not a boat...

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
it's aliens or else it's faked.
take your pick.

if it was aliens, i don't think we would be made aware or be having this conversation.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

On Google Mars you can select an option to see image data for various satellites see the left of pic below.

The image is a strip which includes part of the crater the rest will be pictured when the satellite has an orbit which passes over the area.

Close up you can really see what the blue area is click to zoom in once loaded.

ps some people can now take of the thin metallic cranial shield

edit on 15-4-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Could it be part of the Beagle Probe which crashed Jan 2004...?

PDUK

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

70°39'27.99" S 48°15'23.56" E

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticEngineer

What I think is more interesting is looking the top part of strip. If you open the link (E0800995.png) and scroll up. When looking at everything in total, in my opinion that landscape looks exactly like what you would find in rural American, where agriculture is performed. It begs the question: How could have this occurred naturally? If you look at this and think about how water flows, which of course is going to sculpt the landscape through erosion, water is always going to flow downhill do to gravity. So you would see "v"s on ridges or "y"s in valley. Instead we see circles, rectangles, squares, and other geometric shapes. If you scroll down to the middle you see the type of normal erosion. Comparing the two types of terrain features, it is hard to not come to the conclusion the feature at the top of the strip were manufactured and not natural.

edit on 15-4-2013 by maddog3n8 because: Try to add screenshot

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eisegesis

I am very familiar with the video you posted, no need to be nasty just because someone disagrees with you.
Your video is showing something completely different. Look at the OP pictures carefully and then your video. If you can't see the difference, then there is no need to explain it!

edit on 15-4-2013 by Staroth because: more cowbell

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The actual Mars Orbiter image this OP anomaly is based upon (in Google Mars) is:

HRSC: H4408_0000_ND3

viewer.mars.asu.edu...

The anomaly is in the lower left hand corner of the HRSC pic. Use full screen and magnify to see it best.

For me, except this "actual image" is black and white, it still looks pretty much like the OP anomaly. It has a somewhat cylindrical appearance, and appears to be at least hollow near the visible end.

I will post a screenshot from the HRSC image.

edit on 15-4-2013 by rdunk because: To add image and info

edit on 15-4-2013 by rdunk because: edit

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
reply to post by MysticEngineer

I don't mean to poop on your party, I'd like to find something crazy on Mars too!

edit on 14-4-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

Okay, then perhaps you can tell me what this is?

www.hiddenmars.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This is very interesting.
I would love to know what scale we are talking about here.
Anyone have an estimate on size ?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well I answered my own question.
Looks to be ~ 1.25 Miles across.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
kako187, thanks for the information. With the Rover and Spacecraft imagery, one of the problems always is "what is the size". At least that is one of the few good things about Google Mars - that, and Spacecraft imagery access.

Just knowing this anomaly is over one mile wide, likely opens the doors further for speculation for what this this actually is.

I did just go to google so I could check the visible length of this thing. According to the Google measure, the anomaly sticks out into the crater about 2 miles. So, this thing is over a 1 mile wide and about two miles of it is visible. Wow, that is a fair-sized piece, just the part we can see.

With the pics we have, there appears to be little or no sign of ice around this crater area. Maybe it could be brown ice"?

edit on 15-4-2013 by rdunk because: correction

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rdunk

It's ALSO this image which is a higher res image of part of the crater and the object!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rdunk

I did just go to google so I could check the visible length of this thing. According to the Google measure, the anomaly sticks out into the crater about 2 miles. So, this thing is over a 1 mile wide and about two miles of it is visible. Wow, that is a fair-sized piece, just the part we can see.

How did you work that out

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Same way as kako187 did it just above. Just went to Google Mars and used the same measuring tool. Kako measured the dia., and I measured the length.

edit on 15-4-2013 by rdunk because: correction

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join