It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Deploys Combat LASER To Persian Gulf - The New Cold War Goes Full On Dystopian.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Unmanned crafts can be of size of bigger flying insect, nowdays, up to almost Star Trek size
Manned ones are limited in minimum size, because of pilots
Next, there are differences between deffending of 'our' teritory, for any 'we', and taking the teritory where the other side is controlling upon.
There are miles and miles near border lines which are totaly mined. Even at a coasts.
System of satellites and avax like crafts can see everything over ground, but, at a both sides, most of infrastucture and logistic is underground, masked, naturaly or in electronic ways.
Next, Milosevic sold STELT, the shot one, to Russians, maybe they found a ways for easier detect it, and, many of them are closer to Korea North...

edit on 4/9/2013 by dragnik because: spelling misstake

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Look people...We need to know the important stuff about this laser.....So come on now...Tell the world...Can this thing cook Kraft dinner or not ???

Thank you !

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Originally posted by mideast

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
This is why N. Korea has signed it's potential death certificate. We have these and an untold and unknown amount of weapons available to use against threats. Thats why we develope them.

Yeah , you are developed and very wealthy. You just didn't know that. But new war will unveil that.

Is it the old Nazism or I can not see it right ?

Oh, there are Nazis aplenty left. You can find many in the Revolutionary Guard of Iran.
beirut.indymedia.org...

www.washingtonpost.com... prisoned-for-his-faith/2012/12/24/86ba2da2-4def-11e2-950a-7863a013264b_blog.html

Freedom only for those who obey, Inshallah.

You know what is amazing?

Your hypocrisy

You invade and bombard other nations using chemical , nuclear , bio weapons on other nations , occupying the countries illegally , then you still have the courage at your ignorance to call execution of one woman as Nazism.

You could have shut your ... instead of replying , but your bigotry in nationalism won't let you sit down.

Even though you know that your nation is suffering debt and unemployment , yet you support invasion and destruction.

It reminds me of Neron and the wild people who liked to see blood.

Iranian people are strong and don't fear any fictional straw secular zionism indebted Imperialism.
edit on 9-4-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Technically, most of the "laser" fire seen in the Star Wars movies consists of particle beam weapons:
en.wikipedia.org...
starwars.wikia.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
This is why N. Korea has signed it's potential death certificate. We have these and an untold and unknown amount of weapons available to use against threats. Thats why we develope them.

Yeah , you are developed and very wealthy. You just didn't know that. But new war will unveil that.

Is it the old Nazism or I can not see it right ?

Oh, there are Nazis aplenty left. You can find many in the Revolutionary Guard of Iran.
beirut.indymedia.org...

www.washingtonpost.com... prisoned-for-his-faith/2012/12/24/86ba2da2-4def-11e2-950a-7863a013264b_blog.html

Freedom only for those who obey, Inshallah.

You know what is amazing?

Your hypocrisy

You invade and bombard other nations using chemical , nuclear , bio weapons on other nations , occupying the countries illegally , then you still have the courage at your ignorance to call execution of one woman as Nazism.

You could have shut your ... instead of replying , but your bigotry in nationalism won't let you sit down.

Even though you know that your nation is suffering debt and unemployment , yet you support invasion and destruction.

It reminds me of Neron and the wild people who liked to see blood.

Iranian people are strong and don't fear any fictional straw secular zionism indebted Imperialism.
edit on 9-4-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

ANd while you talk about zionism and bigotry and nazism you (Iran) excecute women and imprison women who do not want to bow to your religion or wear the wrong clothes or submit to rape and you can say any of that self-righteous bull# with a straight face? Nazism? THey burned books too: just like the mullahs of Iran. Reminds me of slaveowners who complaind that their "freedom" was threatened as they whipped and abused their slaves. Hypocrite? Look into the mirror pal. Inshallah.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CristobalColonic
To hell with the fangled LaWS laser...

WE WANT STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT 3!!

No doubt.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

We tested THELs and MTHELs in the 80's that successfully shot down missiles, so I can only imagine what we have now, that we haven't unveiled.

I got to participate in a block 2 THEL shoot at Redstone when we were in Huntsville and working out there. They had just come out with the Sooper Sekret improvement that got rid of some tankage and got the efficiency up some. You never see just how MUCH tankage you need to fire a THEL in the photos, they only show the laser head. It takes a couple 18 wheelers worth of crap to shoot one. And you get a LOT of effluent gas, and it's got a lot of stuff in there you don't want to breathe. Tetrafluoromethane is supposed to not be all that toxic but it's not good for you either. The steam coming out smells like diesel exhaust with honeysuckle.
edit on 9-4-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
reply to post by buddhasystem

Yeah......

I'm still surprised, 4 pages and no one even mentioning a laser that can burn through 20 FEET OF STEEL, in seconds.. while effectively 'celebrating' 'a new age in weapons technology' because of a glorified laser pointer.

FELs are big, heavy, and emit radiation when they're firing. I'm not talking about what's going downrange, either, you can get some pretty heavy xray emissions off the ends.

And, hey, you don't hear much about the AF's experiments with CARMs, either, almost as fun as a FEL, and used to fry up electronics over a wide area. Or civilians, or you name it.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa

Here is where the FEL will shine. See the FEL laser May be powered by energy.

All lasers are "powered by energy".

That is not really a big deal. the FEL is supposed to be rolled out with the new Aircraft carrier coming out in 2014 that is to replace enterprise. It will have its very own reactor and is capable of sustained fire with no atmospheric disruption to the beam. It can also be split into thousands of beams each almost as powerful as the concentrated beam. It fires at room temperature and does not need to be supercooled.

You'll have to have a reactor for it - it's a power hog. You also have to cool it. Yes, yes you do. Because nothing's 100% efficient, and any losses show up as heat. Generally it's easier to manage in a FEL than an optical laser. But the bigger the FEL, the worse the synchrotron radiation off the ends.

Yes, it's CW. That's good. It still has problems with plasma bloom, which is bad. Any laser will have this issue. You need to pick a wavelength that doesn't interact well with air, which is easy with FEL, which is good. But a lot of otherwise useful wavelengths are not available to you due to plasma bloom, at least not at really big energy densities in the beam, which is bad.

To say that FEL outputs do not have the same issues with atmosphere loss as any other laser shows you've been reading *ahem* inaccurate articles. It's ALWAYS an issue. You have to try to find a frequency that's not as heinously bad as others. But even a good one is bad, if you're making a long shot. If you fire up into space from the ground with a FEL, even at a fairly decent IR frequency, you lose about 90% of the beam to atmospheric losses. Worse, you generally have to widen the beam output with a big-arsed FEL to avoid a plasma bloom, and that increases the atmospheric cross section.

You can't possibly split a beam into thousands of separate outputs and each still have all the energy of the original beam. They divide the power. Dividing a FEL output into a lot of separate beams is a reasonable thing, because the full output power density has bloom issues and you really don't need it all that often. But a beam splitter system loses output power in its own inefficiencies, which is bad. Especially if it gets hot enough and goes boom. Also when you're doing the division thing, you can't then be frequency agile on the individual beams, they'll all the be same.

Supercooling will be a thing you'll probably want. Superconducting undulator magnets are a lot stronger and more efficient, as are the bender magnets at the ends. Some FEL accelerator cavity designs work better if they're supercooled.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by Gazrok

We tested THELs and MTHELs in the 80's that successfully shot down missiles, so I can only imagine what we have now, that we haven't unveiled.

I got to participate in a block 2 THEL shoot at Redstone when we were in Huntsville and working out there. They had just come out with the Sooper Sekret improvement that got rid of some tankage and got the efficiency up some. You never see just how MUCH tankage you need to fire a THEL in the photos, they only show the laser head. It takes a couple 18 wheelers worth or crap to shoot one. And you get a LOT of effluent gas, and it's got a lot of stuff in there you don't want to breathe. Tetrafluoromethane is supposed to not be all that toxic but it's not good for you either. The steam coming out smells like diesel exhaust with honeysuckle.

...and I thought that me looking inside a nuclear reactor, hauling DU and things like being sprayed with Thorium solution in the face were radical. Dude... Thanks for sharing. I wish I was there

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Iran has just deployed the Shield of Archimedes strategy. Stocks of reflective materials have been depleted in the Persian Gulf.

(PS: I know that it does not suffice to be reflective of the visible spectrum, now the rest of the world will start development of spread spectrum reflective coating using meta materials and better light frequency detectors..)
edit on 9-4-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11

Iran has just deployed the Shield of Archimedes strategy. Stocks of reflective materials have been depleted in the Persian Gulf.

I don't get it, do you mean to say that all of their craft are shiny now?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

How could a laser have OTH capability? Reflectors in sky...on a drone or lighter than air craft of some sort?

Sure - we've actually done some test shots like that. The overall project aegis was called 'Rimfire', which looking at the net doesn't seem to have hit any forums (fora? forae? forumses?), so there you go, something else new for ATS.

Basically, you orbit a nice dielectric mirror, and have a honking big ground station. Then you locate the mirror, set the angle to hit the target, and whale away at it. It takes some technically interesting beam correction both at the ground and at the orbital mirror ends. And you lose a lot of the power, so you have to have a husky beam source. At some point you hit a limit set by the mirror diameter and the beam power density. Alas.

But yes, we've popped a beam out of Kirtland, bounced it off an orbiting mirror, and hit a target...far away. Not with a lot of arse behind it, mind you, but it wasn't meant to pop a house full of popcorn, just illuminate a target.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
...and I thought that me looking inside a nuclear reactor, hauling DU and things like being sprayed with Thorium solution in the face were radical. Dude... Thanks for sharing. I wish I was there

What is funny is how obvious the Sooper Sekret improvement was. On the block 1 system, we had been talking it over at lunch when we first saw it why they divided up the reactants the way they did. It didn't seem reasonable to handle the deuterium feed the way they did, it put a lot of elemental hydrogen into the combustor which you DON'T want, because it grabs some of your fluorine and then emits an IR wavelength you DON'T want, because it's heavily absorbed by the atmosphere right at the laser head. So when you shot it, you got flash baked from the bad IR lighting up the air near the head, which then re-radiated it to YOU.

So when they said they had dropped a couple of tanks of reactant (it takes several different reactants, some just to make the exhaust non-lethal) and gotten the efficiency up some 30% in the meeting, I said "Oh, you finally saw you could deuterate the [redacted] instead of using [redacted] and injecting deuterium separately", the guy crapped himself. It was amusing, mainly because there they were trying to be all cagey and eggheaded for the military guys, but they had sold it as being a technical breakthrough instead of a massive bug fix.

I guess it was better than saying "we did something lame the first time".

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod

Yeah......

I'm still surprised, 4 pages and no one even mentioning a laser that can burn through 20 FEET OF STEEL, in seconds.. while effectively 'celebrating' 'a new age in weapons technology' because of a glorified laser pointer.

FELs are big, heavy, and emit radiation when they're firing. I'm not talking about what's going downrange, either, you can get some pretty heavy xray emissions off the ends.

And, hey, you don't hear much about the AF's experiments with CARMs, either, almost as fun as a FEL, and used to fry up electronics over a wide area. Or civilians, or you name it.

The FEL may emit radiation but its only as long as it is firing, Also When I meant it is powered by energy i meant NO SOLID FUEL OR CHEMICALS, WHat part of room temperature operation do you not get? Usually that means less heat. Of course the reactor will need cooling thats a given. The FEL is also the same size as the CIWS coming out on the new carrier.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa
The FEL may emit radiation but its only as long as it is firing, Also When I meant it is powered by energy i meant NO SOLID FUEL OR CHEMICALS, WHat part of room temperature operation do you not get? Usually that means less heat. Of course the reactor will need cooling thats a given. The FEL is also the same size as the CIWS coming out on the new carrier.

The chemicals are providing energy too.

The part of room temperature I don't get is your hypothetical FEL that doesn't use superconducting magnets. Heh.

So, tell me, how do you relate "room temperature" to "less heat"? Using non-superconducting magnets would lose a LOT more energy to I2R losses. Thus being warmer.

eta: if your FEL is spun up but you're not firing (i.e. the undulator is off) you'll still emit x-rays off the ends - the electrons that are recirculating will emit synchrotron radiation by being bent around in a loop.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
So, It's a laser, like the one Dr Evil had in the movies perhaps? Hey, I'm all for it. It's cheaper, cleaner, faster and doesn't hurt the environment. What's not to like? Nuclear aircraft carries and capitol ships are very expensive. I'm glad we're protecting our investment, and we have to protect ourselves, since there isn't anyone else around to do it for us.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I said "Oh, you finally saw you could deuterate the [redacted] instead of using [redacted] and injecting deuterium separately"

One word: yes.

I come from a family of chemical engineers.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

You see what I mean then. It was butt-obvious. But they'd sold it to the brass as TS material.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Countries all over the world are now retrofitting every ship and missile with giant mirrors.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join