The United States Deploys Combat LASER To Persian Gulf - The New Cold War Goes Full On Dystopian.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
When we were watching scenes from Star Wars - reminiscent of this one...

... I doubt many of us took those images too seriously. I happen to be old enough that I remember the release of Star Wars - and even slightly recall Star Trek TOS on its actual TV run. I grew up with a culture that included scenes of human beings using light emitting weapons in the place of projectile weapons. I think most of us on ATS can agree that we've been exposed to this concept for all of our lives.

But still fiction is fiction. Right?

Not any more. The United States is sending a weaponized laser into the Persian gulf. The first time ever that we've deployed such weapons into a conflict region ( At least the first time we know about, I suppose would be fair to say ).

For the first time ever, the United States is deploying a solid-state laser weapon. The Laser Weapon System (LaWS) successfully destroyed a drone in flight during a test run and will head to the Persian Gulf aboard the USS Ponce as part of what the military is calling an "at-sea demonstration."

"The future is here," Peter A. Morrision, program officer for ONR's Solid-State Laser Technology Maturation Program, said in a statement. "The solid-state laser is a big step forward to revolutionizing modern warfare with directed energy, just as gunpowder did in the era of knives and swords."

Chief of Naval Research Rear Adm. Matthew Klunder said one of the big deals here is that a laser shot costs about $1.

"Compare that to the hundreds of thousands of dollars it costs to fire a missile, and you can begin to see the merits of this capability," Klunder said.

Another big advantage: A laser moves at the speed of light and in the future it may be able to disable an incoming missile.

Source

The LaWS

it is interesting to note that the article also states that this is apparently being done to send a clear message to Iran... Basically speaking a way of saying "Don't do what North Korea is trying to pull!"

Has it really come to this point? Were nukes not stupid enough??? Cuban Missile Crisis??? Pffffttttt that was nothing when compared to the Iran/North Korea Laser Crisis of 2013! THAT one was almost the end of life as we know it!

My normal light hearted, quirky, and potentially annoying personality aside. The rhetoric is ratcheting up at a very alarming pace. Even a week ago we were in familiar territory... dealing with situations that had happened time and time again.

But now? Now we are in uncharted waters and, just as the map says... Here there be dragons...

These are interesting days we live in. Let us hope and pray that the idiots with their fingers on the buttons understand that they will only remain interesting as long as there is somebody left to discuss them later on.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yeah yeah...

Now show it to me in action, firing huge red pulses of glowing hot laser action! Anyone can stick a big old telescope on a ship and call it a laser.

I hope it emits a beam, rather then firing invisible microwave radiation or something. A sky filled with lasers would be something to behold...

from a distance.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

OK:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

These are interesting days we live in. Let us hope and pray that the idiots with their fingers on the buttons understand that they will only remain interesting as long as there is somebody left to discuss them later on.

The laser is actually pretty slick. It's not very big. While its actual size is supposedly classified *coff30kwcoff*, the fact they are ballsy enough to try to field it at this point is interesting. We'll get to see how it holds up in "salt spray non-benign environment" instead of the back lot at Redstone.

You could deflagrate slow moving targets with it, a fast cruise missile would not likely be disabled. But hey, you have to start somewhere I suppose.

As far as the idiots with fingers on the buttons go, the thing you've got to ask yourself is, 'What really happened to Yongjo-ri in 2004?", when NK lost their uranium separation plant and weapon development crew. The next thing would be "Could that happen again, say, in Pyongyang?"

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
... using light emitting weapons in the place of projectile weapons.

But still fiction is fiction. Right?

Not any more.

Actually there is no "in place of" scenario just yet.
The system on that ship is a prototype, a test machine, a trial, a systems check, a principle check, a proof of concept.

It will always be that way. Ever since I heard about laser weapons many decades ago, the limitation has never been in the power or the tracking systems, but the fact that our atmosphere exists, and is dirty.

Once you get above a certain power level, anything other than a totally clear day with no water vapour will just cause your fantastic weapon to be a useless fireworks show in the sky.

This will never change.

Note also that any test demonstrations you will find always consist of slow objects, close to the weapon.
Not exactly a problem for any other weapon you can think of.
edit on 8-4-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger
Yeah yeah...

Now show it to me in action, firing huge red pulses of glowing hot laser action! Anyone can stick a big old telescope on a ship and call it a laser.

I hope it emits a beam, rather then firing invisible microwave radiation or something. A sky filled with lasers would be something to behold...

from a distance.

Well, sorry, it's not visible, being IR.

Even if it were a visible light laser, though, you have to realize you don't see the beam like on a bad TV show or movie. You generally only see the beam when you get scattering from aerosols. Now, at sea, the micro sea spray that you get down low from waves will cause a visible light laser to show somewhat, and if it's really honking you can get enough atmospheric scatter to see a ghost of it, but in general you only see the beam due to dust and smog.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Hmmm when did we get to vote on whether our tax dollars can be spent creating more efficient, and cheaper, ways to kill people?

And they sound so proud of themselves for this.

The worlds economy is failing, and yet they seem to always find the money to develop WMD's. I guess that wasn't on the list for cut-backs?

What about all the troops who lack proper protective gear because they say they can't afford it?

www.globalsecurity.org...

I do not like this purchase, can I have my money back? And no, in-store credit won't cut it.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm not really a warmonger. Really, I'm not.

However, having been a Fire Controlman in the navy............I'm drooling.

Sorry, but I spent 10 years in the US Navy working on weapons systems. Seeing the things they are trying out now, rail guns, and now lasers, I'm very jealous!

The missile systems and radars I worked on were cool, and very deadly. But seeing this, brings out that Tim The Toolman in me..........

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I read something about the Navy deploying more in 2014..For "ship's defense" against hypersonic missiles it might be all that will work unless the ship gets lucky with a conventional golden BB? There were problems with lasers and atmospheric disruptions IE water vapor, clouds, and particulate matter suspended in the atmosphere like a dust storm which would degrade the beam to the point of making it ineffectual. Wonder if they have overcome some of the past problems? Great weapon if used in space. Wonder if an $800 toilet seat came with the package? Regardless I do hope it works in the ship defense role.
edit on 8-4-2013 by 727Sky because: edit

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Reading the article

- its not big enough to take down planes, only small drones
- it doesn't function well in cloudy, smokey, hazy, dusty, rainy weather.
- it costs $1 to use per strike, opposed to a $1.4million interceptor missile.

... can you imagine the captain on board

'' fire up the laser ''
'' but sir, the missile is better fitted ''
'' you idiot, we're under budget constraints. We get a $4 daily budget ''

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Probably wont even light a cigarette 50 miles out..

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Has it really come to this point? Were nukes not stupid enough??? Cuban Missile Crisis??? Pffffttttt

Yes…NUKES in the hands of sick tyrants is SCARY!!!!!

Thank GOD there is a power (I call it GOOD) that will deal with this threat to freedom (which I call EVIL). Those who take up arms (and maybe even lasers) against sick tyrants have a title also; most people call them patriots regardless which country they're from.

edit on 8-4-2013 by seabag because: Becase I'm looking at too many threads at once and put my foot in my mouth

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Seems like this is being done for the news cycle only. They canceled the program for the laser mounted on the 747 due to technology/feasibility issues. I wonder what has changed since then (if anything) ?

This won't lend much to downing missiles...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Hmmm when did we get to vote on whether our tax dollars can be spent creating more efficient, and cheaper, ways to kill people?

And they sound so proud of themselves for this.

Unless this ship is attacked by people in hang gliders or a squadron of Cessna single prop passenger planes, I don't see it as a more efficient way to kill people. It's an experimental CIWS adjunct.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Has it really come to this point? Were nukes not stupid enough??? Cuban Missile Crisis??? Pffffttttt

Yes…NUKES in the hands of sick tyrants is SCARY!!!!!

Thank GOD there is a power (I call it GOOD) that will deal with this threat to freedom (which I call EVIL). Those who take up arms (and maybe even lasers) against sick tyrants have a title also; most people call them patriots regardless which country they're from.

edit on 8-4-2013 by seabag because: Becase I'm looking at too many threads at once and put my foot in my mouth

Exactly what aspect of my disdain for weapons of mass destruction strikes you as unpatriotic??? I was pretty sure that loving America and hating the death of every living human being on Earth was OK.
edit on 4/8/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
Seems like this is being done for the news cycle only. They canceled the program for the laser mounted on the 747 due to technology/feasibility issues. I wonder what has changed since then (if anything) ?

Well, the entire technology of the laser changed, for one thing.

The ABL and its sister projects weren't intended for being a production ready system, it was to test how to do it, find the problems and try a few generations of fixes. You really don't know what won't work in practice until you give it a go sometimes.

ABL's COIL laser, THEL's deuterium fluoride laser and the like are what we call chemical lasers, they have big big outputs but are unwieldy in that they require a LOT of reactants and are nasty in terms of the effluent gases being hazardous, and/or they foul the optics over time and you just don't get many shots. However, in terms of having a big power output and being something you could actually build, they rocked for the time.

But it's just not battlefield practical to have a big plane with 10 shots before you have to land, off-load the stored effluent, re-tank the reactants, clean and re-calibrate the optics and take off to the target area again.

This laser is a solid state liquid cooled laser, there are a few competing technologies, the primary ones are HELLADS and ThinZAG. No chemical reactants, it's got a good firing rate with fast cycle times and it doesn't require a lot of polishing and re-aligning to get all the chemical goo off.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
That laser is pretty damn combat ineffective heard the news today about it turns out don't work so well in inclimate weather.

Better hope those rogue regimes launch them missles when its nice a sunny outside with a sllght chance of clouds.
edit on 8-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You know, having thought about this, I'm sure there were people that were horrified at the thought of muskets. Projectiles should be from a bow.

And they were horrified again, when instead of having to muzzle load a smooth bore weapon, we ended up with rifles that were much more accurate and with self contained cartridges.

Then again, when you could load several cartridges and just re-cock to reload.

When tanks entered the battle field at the very end of world war one.

When we made a bomb that was able to release so much energy a one time (a nuke).

Then they put these nukes on missiles that can go half way around the world.

Missile systems that are able to take down those same nukes in mid flight.

Then we went and mounted a gatling gun with a search radar and radar director (CIWS) an put them on ships to defend themselves against incoming missiles.

However, while I think NBC warfare is bad (very bad), when you think about it, rail guns and lasers are the logical next step in weapons that are not WMDs (sorry, whom every posted that. If you think we have a Death Star WMD laser, your way off base here).

We (humans) have been using chemicals to expel or propel projectiles or munitions for how long now? Since the 1500s

500 years. For 500 years, we have been basically using the same thing when you think about it. We've gotten a lot better at what we build, but we still use these weapons.

And that is what we humans have been doing since......well who knows? We've been making and using weapons ever since we were smart enough to pick up the bone from a animal carcass and swing it at something.

So inventing something that works better than chemical projectiles or missiles? I'm not surprised, except at how long it took us.

Does this mean the end of the world? The end of the balance of everything?

Nope.

If that was going to happen, it would have happened after world war 2.

What is going to happen is, if these new weapons systems work well, other countries will either buy it from us (allies) or will develope their over versions of it is all.

That's pretty much what we've (humans) been doing during our entire existence.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

LASER capabilities aside - as my level of expertise pretty much ends with Star Wars references - the political innuendo involved here is quite staggering and can make one wonder about any number of things. If our own government wasn't so keen upon lying to us I might argue that they had intelligence that North Korea and Iran could be engaged in some sort of regional destabilization agenda - not unlike Italy and Germany in the 1930's.

Sadly information is so difficult to discern these days... there is just no telling.

All we know for sure is that the rhetoric has ratcheted up. This is a direct statement to other governments. A display of power ( or at least the display of potential power ).

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hmmm I wonder what happens if they shoot that at a ship and a couple crew men grab a parabolic mirror... For that matter wouldn't that laser be useless if the object it was firing at was polished to mirror quality?

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join