It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Deploys Combat LASER To Persian Gulf - The New Cold War Goes Full On Dystopian.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

Because one mode of anti-ship attack expected to appear in future combat is a swarm of small missiles. It's expected to overwhelm conventional CIWS and current targeting systems, so Navy is developing means to target and engage arbitrarily large numbers of incoming munitions with rapidly targetable fast cycling systems like this. Another thing you would see if you worked in that field is a New Thing wherein ships paint targets with unique laser signatures using OAM coding, then one or more sources release flocks of seeker-killers that use flocking algorithms that hunt down tagged targets. The tag painted on the target 'attracts' appropriate counter-munitions.

I'm pretty sure that's not classified anymore. If not, whoops.
edit on 9-4-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

No, I don't think so!

P

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
So, If Planes had highly reflective coatings (mirrors) covering them, would it render this technology useless ?

edit on 9-4-2013 by ken10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
This is why N. Korea has signed it's potential death certificate. We have these and an untold and unknown amount of weapons available to use against threats. Thats why we develope them.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the free electron laser, its capabilities are far more impressive than this laser, I think the Navy will start using it in 2014.

This is a snippet from a Fox News article:

During a private tour of the Jefferson Lab in Newport News, VA., on Friday, FoxNews.com saw scientists blast unprecedented levels of power into a prototype accelerator, producing a supercharged electron beam that can burn through 20 feet of steel per second.

www.foxnews.com...

EDIT:

I didn't really read the whole article since I had read it before when it first came out in 2011, I looked at it again and found this:

While Carr acknowledges that this is not “something that we are going to wave a wand at and it’s going to appear” -- in fact, the Navy doesn't expect to hit the ultimate megawatt goal until the 2020s -- there have been several incremental victories that have pushed this project ahead of schedule that have scientists and program managers excited.

Then there's this from another article:

Railguns are even further off in the distance, possibly by 2025, the Navy has said. But the demonstration of the maritime laser demonstrator this week proves that some laser weapons are just around the corner: Northrop Grumman experts aim to have the final product ready by June of 2014.

www.foxnews.com...

So, if this is anything to go after the FEL laser will be ready in 2014, just not in the megawatt energy class.

Burning through 20 feet of steel is freaking crazy!
Makes the other laser seem like a laser pointer...
edit on 9-4-2013 by TheLaughingGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Great psychological war on Iranian people. It reminds me of the war on WMDs in Iraq. US was bombarding Iraqis at night while MSM was performing psycho war on Iraqi people.

Iranian people are strong and don't fear any fictional straw secular zionism indebted Imperialism.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

An Iranian member of ATS.
edit on 9-4-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

OTOH, it is a part of a missle defense system--a CIWS using light instead of 20mm rounds.
edit on 9-4-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
reply to post by Alien Abduct

Because one mode of anti-ship attack expected to appear in future combat is a swarm of small missiles. It's expected to overwhelm conventional CIWS and current targeting systems, so Navy is developing means to target and engage arbitrarily large numbers of incoming munitions with rapidly targetable fast cycling systems like this. Another thing you would see if you worked in that field is a New Thing wherein ships paint targets with unique laser signatures using OAM coding, then one or more sources release flocks of seeker-killers that use flocking algorithms that hunt down tagged targets. The tag painted on the target 'attracts' appropriate counter-munitions.

I'm pretty sure that's not classified anymore. If not, whoops.
edit on 9-4-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

So the best time to attack ships equipped with these systems would be in the rain........whoops

I wonder how much technology we would see come out from behind the curtains if a large scale conflict such as with North Korea occurs. My guess would be not much. I think it would take an enemy like China or Russia to see some really cool stuff (not that I would want any war like that to happen).

-Alien

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

We tested THELs and MTHELs in the 80's that successfully shot down missiles, so I can only imagine what we have now, that we haven't unveiled.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Seems like this is being done for the news cycle only. They canceled the program for the laser mounted on the 747 due to technology/feasibility issues. I wonder what has changed since then (if anything) ?

You do realize that often when projects are "cancelled" they are simply moved to a more covert development, right? (assuming the project has potential and fits a real military need).

This is why N. Korea has signed it's potential death certificate. We have these and an untold and unknown amount of weapons available to use against threats. Thats why we develope them.

Having them and USING and REVEALING them are different things. If we shot down a bunch of NK missiles with lasers...the rest of the world's nuclear powers are going to suddenly realize their ICBMs have suddenly become expensive paperweights. The world upheaval that could bring....

edit on 9-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Glad you reliazed it's not ;it's nothing; and started taking this and the possibility of conflict more seriously, OP

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

Yeah , you are developed and very wealthy. You just didn't know that. But new war will unveil that.

Is it the old Nazism or I can not see it right ?

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I don't care if it can fry a fly at 2 feet...It's a good start to something that wil eventually be cheaper and more effective....Let's roll them out and have a little fun !!!

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the free electron laser, its capabilities are far more impressive than this laser, I think the Navy will start using it in 2014.

...and I am surprised that you comparing apples and oranges. These are very different machines, sharing just one physics principle in their operation. It's like comparing rockets and artillery - while they may both use expanding hot gas, they still operate with very different characteristics.

It seems fairly obvious that the overall design of the solid state laser is much simpler and portable, since it does not involve an actual particle accelerator (which the FEL effectively does). It may also have better efficiency, which is important for mobile platforms. So while it may fall back in terms of sheer power, it has other desirable characteristics.

50 cal and Nato cartridge are both used with great success in firearms. Ponder that.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Reading the article

- its not big enough to take down planes, only small drones
- it doesn't function well in cloudy, smokey, hazy, dusty, rainy weather.

The German high-energy laser by Reinmetall cuts through 15mm thick steel at a distance of 1KM, downs objects flying at 50 metres per second, and it operates in snow, sunlight and rain.
Maybe still a little short-ranged to kill fighter jets, but the technology is getting there.

The company has tested the laser system in a variety of weather conditions, including snow, sunlight, and rain.

Rheinmetall demos laser that can shoot down drones

Rheinmetall's 50kW high-energy laser weapon successfully passes tests
edit on 9-4-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is a huge step! I'm in electrical engineering and understand somewhat all the technology and things they've had to approve upon in the past decade to get a laser weapon to this point.

And to everyone that keeps chiming in, "It's not going to work, it's a waste of money, it will never be a weapon."

Everyone laughed at James Watt for inventing a crude steam engine that could go no faster than a horse at full gallop. But that was a crucial step in designing current engines in your car today.

Maybe this isn't a light-emitting weapon as powerful as current technology. But it sure hell is a step in the right direction. Stop being so pessimistic

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Yeah......

I'm still surprised, 4 pages and no one even mentioning a laser that can burn through 20 FEET OF STEEL, in seconds.. while effectively 'celebrating' 'a new age in weapons technology' because of a glorified laser pointer.

Of course, you have your points but at the same time these two weapons will probably interlap a lot in their usage, they'll both target missiles and if effective enough eventually even planes.

The solid state laser might be cheaper, easier to deploy and more energy efficient.. but the destructive potential is pretty lackluster. In other words, it's not flashy enough for me.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mideast

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

Yeah , you are developed and very wealthy. You just didn't know that. But new war will unveil that.

Is it the old Nazism or I can not see it right ?

Oh, there are Nazis aplenty left. You can find many in the Revolutionary Guard of Iran.
beirut.indymedia.org...

www.washingtonpost.com... prisoned-for-his-faith/2012/12/24/86ba2da2-4def-11e2-950a-7863a013264b_blog.html

Freedom only for those who obey, Inshallah.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yeah......

I'm still surprised, 4 pages and no one even mentioning a laser that can burn through 20 FEET OF STEEL, in seconds.. while effectively 'celebrating' 'a new age in weapons technology' because of a glorified laser pointer.

Of course, you have your points but at the same time these two weapons will probably interlap a lot in their usage, they'll both target missiles and if effective enough eventually even planes.

The solid state laser might be cheaper, easier to deploy and more energy efficient.. but the destructive potential is pretty lackluster. In other words, it's not flashy enough for me.

Here is where the FEL will shine. See the FEL laser May be powered by energy. That is not really a big deal. the FEL is supposed to be rolled out with the new Aircraft carrier coming out in 2014 that is to replace enterprise. It will have its very own reactor and is capable of sustained fire with no atmospheric disruption to the beam. It can also be split into thousands of beams each almost as powerful as the concentrated beam. It fires at room temperature and does not need to be supercooled. The reactor dependant one can fire through 1000 ft of carbon steel in mere seconds, also it will have over the horizon combat ability supposedley. But to not fret CHina has a version coming out soon.
edit on 9-4-2013 by yuppa because: i mispelled a few words

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa

Yeah......

Here is where the FEL will shine. See the FEL laser May be powered by energy. That is not really a big deal. the FEL is supposed to be rolled out with the new Aircraft carrier coming out in 2014 that is to replace enterprise. It will have its very own reactor and is capable of sustained fire with no atmospheric disruption to the beam. It can also be split into thousands of beams each almost as powerful as the concentrated beam. It fires at room temperature and does not need to be supercooled. The reactor dependant one can fire through 1000 ft of carbon steel in mere seconds, also it will have over the horizon combat ability supposedley. But to not fret CHina has a version coming out soon.
edit on 9-4-2013 by yuppa because: i mispelled a few words

How could a laser have OTH capability? Reflectors in sky...on a drone or lighter than air craft of some sort?
edit on 9-4-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join