N. Korean satellite orbits over U.S.

page: 2
42
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas
 


No, space is a BIG place (even just the space around Earth's orbit), and the satellite is only 100kg (about 220lbs). Even if it was a nuke (which it wasn't), it wouldn't have a very big blast radius, likely wouldn't even get another satellite. No way they have a nuke small enough and powerful enough to have gone up in that.....

And certainly they've demonstrated no EMP weapon that could work in such a scenario....
edit on 8-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)




posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm just glad I live in Phoenix. For one thing after Cali. falls into the ocean property values are going to skyrocket. Plus it looks like NK's satellite will stay far to the east.



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
According to Wikipedia they would have to de-orbit over the US and drop pretty low in order to have any major effects on our electrical grid. If it is truly tumbling out of control then I would say at best if they detonated it would knock out some nearby satellites. And that is a big IF the satellite is even nuclear....

Wikipedia
edit on 4/8/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok
 


That is very reassuring to hear. This is the kind of information gathering that makes me love ATS.



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


It's only 220lbs. IF it was a nuke...then well, we'd have other issues than that dead satellite... As hard as it is to weaponize a nuke for a missile warhead, even more difficult to do in a satellite payload. It's a camera (and a miracle they actually even got it in the right orbit).

But, the fact that so signals are being sent or received, pretty much just makes it expensive space junk at this point.



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by billy565
 


Those of us in Phoenix worry because we have that huge reactor nearby. Although, this satellite wouldn't be my biggest worry from N.K. as far as Phoenix goes. I've been hoping he likes the Suns and would spare Phoenix.



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well on the same note, America launched a small sort of unmanned copy of the shuttle last December without us knowing what it's payload is. It,was,in orbit for nearly a year before landing then back up again.
It could have the same kind of thing the OP is saying as well.





CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – The military's small, top-secret version of the space shuttle rocketed into orbit Tuesday for a repeat mystery mission, two years after making the first flight of its kind. The Air Force launched the unmanned spacecraft Tuesday hidden on top of an Atlas V rocket, sent by United Launch Alliance. It's the second flight for this original X-37B spaceplane. It circled the planet for seven months in 2010. A second X-37B spacecraft spent more than a year in orbit. These high-tech mystery machines -- 29 feet long -- are about one-quarter the size of NASA's old space shuttles and can land automatically on a runway. The two previous touchdowns occurred in Southern California; this one might end on NASA's three-mile-long runway once reserved for the space agency's shuttles. Read more: www.foxnews.com...
edit on 8-4-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok
 


thanks for that i figured it wouldnt be that easy and i guess it was a really dumb question cuz one of the things i do know about space is that it tends to be full of radiation so it would stand to reason that satellites would be shielded against such things correct?(ie like for solar radiation and cosmic radiation) thanks again



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Twilightgem
 


Unless he could get a nuke smuggled in, he has NO delivery system capable of hitting the continental US with a missile (even if he did have a nuke warhead on it, which all analysts are confident they can't do this yet). His farthest range missile COULD hit Alaska or Hawaii, but so far, this missile has not tested anywhere NEAR the stated range for it....which puts the West Coast (in my opinion), completely out of the realm of possibility.

To another:

thanks for that i figured it wouldnt be that easy and i guess it was a really dumb question


A wiser man than me once said, "The only dumb question, is the one never asked."
edit on 8-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas
 


Depends what kind of detination and what NK would be intending to do by doing that i guess, but theres a lot of space up there, it would be unlikely that they would/ could destroy any other craft up there i would have thought. Especially at the speed they travel in orbit.

as for the patterns, that looks fairly standard to me. satellites orbit about every 90 minutes, so they cover a lot of ground in a week. That same criss criss pattern shows up over me in the UK, i would wager its the same all over.
Besides, my guess is it would be an obsevation satellite if anything, rather than a weapon



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas
 


Depends what kind of detination and what NK would be intending to do by doing that i guess, but theres a lot of space up there, it would be unlikely that they would/ could destroy any other craft up there i would have thought. Especially at the speed they travel in orbit.

as for the patterns, that looks fairly standard to me. satellites orbit about every 90 minutes, so they cover a lot of ground in a week. That same criss criss pattern shows up over me in the UK, i would wager its the same all over.
Besides, my guess is it would be an obsevation satellite if anything, rather than a weapon



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


What you linked to I think is the international space station.

This is KMS 3-2 here, and it passes over Europe and Africa not North America.



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twilightgem
reply to post by billy565
 


Those of us in Phoenix worry because we have that huge reactor nearby. Although, this satellite wouldn't be my biggest worry from N.K. as far as Phoenix goes. I've been hoping he likes the Suns and would spare Phoenix.


Well Junior and Rodman are bffs did Dennis ever play 4 the Suns? (i don't remember.)

Edit - Yeah, I'm not too happy about Palo Verde being so close but I try not to think about it too much. Isn't it the largest reactor in the U.S. ?
edit on 8-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
We are all gonna die!!!

.>

/throws onion

/runs



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 

KMS 3-2 is orbiting at the optimal altitude for an EMP, which is 300 miles or so. Of course I'm not saying it is an EMP ...and as others have stated it isn't very large...whether it's tumbling or not the predicted course on satellite tracking in real time shows a consistent orbiting pattern.....got www.n2yo.com/....sorry can't link!!



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


What you linked to I think is the international space station.

This is KMS 3-2 here, and it passes over Europe and Africa not North America.


Click on the 5 day prediction then check off the next few days....its path is over the mid and eastern US.



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Personally, I think the satellite is all window dressing. The entire launch was ALL about testing the trajectory equipment for a ballistic missile. My money is on the satellite never being INTENDED to actually work, but instead being a prop. It certainly explains why it would tumble and send or receive no signals.



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by openeyeswideshut
 


Wrong...go to www.n2yo.com/ and then go to 5 day predicted orbit...I'm a neophyte computer guy and I can find this !!



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
Well on the same note, America launched a small sort of unmanned copy of the shuttle last December without us knowing what it's payload is. It,was,in orbit for nearly a year before landing then back up again.
It could have the same kind of thing the OP is saying as well.





CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – The military's small, top-secret version of the space shuttle rocketed into orbit Tuesday for a repeat mystery mission, two years after making the first flight of its kind. The Air Force launched the unmanned spacecraft Tuesday hidden on top of an Atlas V rocket, sent by United Launch Alliance. It's the second flight for this original X-37B spaceplane. It circled the planet for seven months in 2010. A second X-37B spacecraft spent more than a year in orbit. These high-tech mystery machines -- 29 feet long -- are about one-quarter the size of NASA's old space shuttles and can land automatically on a runway. The two previous touchdowns occurred in Southern California; this one might end on NASA's three-mile-long runway once reserved for the space agency's shuttles. Read more: www.foxnews.com...
edit on 8-4-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)


Interesting...and then the conspiracy theorist in me says why not plan something like 9-11 and drop our own EMP over the US and blame it on the NK satellite and go to war. Finally a fairly good conspiracy that has some DOOM!!!!!!!



posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Very true, I wouldn't put it past them to do this again....





new topics

top topics



 
42
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join