It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you rather be in prison or homeless?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Reading about the new Welfare 'reforms' being brought in by the British government today has got me thinking, if the worst were to happen and i was unable to support myself or get any financial help finding a home from the government would i rather live rough on the streets or commit a crime and get myself a prison sentence in one of our fairly comfortable and humane prisons?

Welfare Reforms

A lot of people are genuinely fearful that this could be a prospect being faced by many people in Britain over the next few years. At a time when it is more difficult than ever to find full time work and affordable housing the government have also decided that they need to cut the people who are at the bottom of the pile off.

People with mental illness and long term disability are set to be the group most at risk due to the new complex rules regarding disability/sickness benefits.

Anyway, would you rather live rough on the streets or serve a prison sentence?

edit on 1-4-2013 by bates because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'd rather be homeless. Who wouldn't want to be free?

Plus USA jails are living hell holes or so it seems.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
In a perfect world, Homeless.

In our current society, im leaning more toward a prison.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The street atleast I can go where I want when I want , but jail has free food , warm bed but no sex . unless one swings that way ...

But I would rather starve as a free man

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This is a tough question because being homeless on the streets or in prison is very terrible. I cannot sugarcoat it. When you're on the street you have to constantly fined for yourself. Searching for food and begging for change. While the police would most likely ask you to stop resting on the sidewalk. Many homeless people I have seen had either mental problems or bad addictions with drugs. Which is why these people can get food from food banks. But it only helps so little. They have a greater chance to get arrested for different reasons. Since I live in the U.S. The prison system is like a mad house. Gangs and insane customs by prisoners and staff make you feel like a gagged animal. You have the chance to eat, work out, and what not. But it easy to get into trouble in prison with prisoners and security and staff. I would say I would like to be in prison. Because I can have a cell with a bed, toilet and shower. As well classes and work. I'll have food and shelter from the elements. The only problem would be gangs and not listing to staff.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

LOL - that's easy - homeless........every time.

We are already living in a prison

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I'd rather be neither myself. If I didn't have much money I would build a little cabin or stone house and live off grid for a while instead of begging for money. I would ask for a saw or hammer and some nails from people. I can take care of myself. I will never be homeless, this world is my home.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

Nowadays don't they take you to prison simply for being homeless?

- PS

I had a number of homeless adventures, so I know how they treat the homeless. Even the people whose job it is to help you readily hamstring you.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
On the streets but even if I was caught committing a crime, I would happily do a stint.. Either way I wouldn't give a toss.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
At least a homeless man has the potential to find work and get back on his feet. He only continues to be homeless if he does nothing about it. Reality will give you what you expect it to give you, and if you expect nothing it will give you nothing.
edit on 1/4/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

That's a hard choice. On the streets, you fend for yourself. You find your own meals, however you can. Going hungry for a few days is a real threat. Where your going to sleep is a day to day concern. Entertainment is going to be the last thing you ever get to think of, regardless of your need for an escape. Unless you turn to drugs and screw yourself over by developing an addiction.

And then prison, well, that's a bit scary in a different way. Sure, as a homeless person you're in far more danger than most due to your lack of shelter, but in a prison you're at risk of being attacked every day. All you're basic needs are taken care of, yes, and you can even get yourself a degree whilst confined (in America at least). Plus, you get all that on the tax payers dime. And, if you get out and no one will give you a job, you can always go back to a life of crime. If you get caught again, so what, you go back to prison and sit pretty. But then again, no women (or men, depending on your gender... or lasting relationships depending on your orientation) and you're constantly in danger. Plus, you're a captive.

Out of those two situations, I'd pick prison. At least you can go somewhere with a life of crime. I mean, in an optimal situation I'd just be choosing a life of crime and never getting caught, but even with prison as a surety I would still choose crime. The sad truth is, we treat prisoners better than most homeless, at least as a society.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

Homeless...atleast if I choose to move my two legs and go searching for a better life...I can walk as far as my legs will take me. I don't believe there are too many alternatives in prison, but outside of that, the choices I make are mine.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Depends on the time of year , in the summer on the street and winter in a nice warm prison with hot food .

Of course given the choice I'd rather have the cushy lifestyle of these Eaton educated rich kids then I'd have no clue about the real world either

Eat the rich .

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
Jail has free food , warm bed but no sex .

well not necessarily no sex.... you know.... if your into that

The council tax i pay right now goes on the most stupid things anyway, and they want more for everyone and to squeeze low income households further!?

Why should i not be surprised by this sort of thing by now.... *long sigh*

I think id go with homeless over jail too.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Homeless, every time.
I spent 6 months sleeping the streets in the UK and you still get single person rate Job Seekers Allowance, it will cover food no matter what anyone says.
It was winter when I was homeless many years ago, and one particular night I stood outside the police station seriously thinking that just a simple brick through the window would result in warmth, shelter and food.
I decided not to though, my freedom was more important, no matter how difficult the circumstances.
It is possible to drag yourself out of homelessness with determination and the support of various agencies. You cannot fast-forward a prison sentence though, and the release support is pretty crap anyway with many ex-prisoners just going back on the streets.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Homeless is worse, or at least depending on the country.
When homeless people look at you like you are trash, not even worth a look.

I would pick a prison, it's cold also over here and if not cold it's raining!

Prison's are not that bad over here, tv, computer, shower and of course a bed and being alone doesn't bother me 1 bit.

But it's get harder to get in prisons these days! Now often allow people to stay at their home but with a track device! and the sentences over here are very light.

With just a 'normal' murder I think about 5-8 years prison time, so if you just break in people's houses for example, you would be out on the Streets in no time.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bates

assess all avenues to avoid living on the street and doing something intentionally to go to prison. Sadly this is why many end up in the prison system because some are in similar situations and subconsciously they give up for society s too much to deal with.
And so end up on a rampage like decline until they commit a crime that gets them into the prison system, where yes there are discomforts but the everyday stresses of keeping up with bills or job stability having to house and feed themselves or their children (responsibilities) is basically traded off for the freedoms lost. So for any dealing with these type of circumstances try your best to use your mind and keep in mind Losing is not an option no matter how hard things get, don't give up.

NAMASTE*******
edit on 4/1/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bates

I would rather be homeless.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I would rather be homeless, because I know I have family that would always take me in, no matter what.

Home ownership is expensive and tedious, and not all it's cracked up to be, anyway. ALWAYS there's something that needs to be repaired or updated, replaced or painted. Always. Yards, too - while I love to garden, I hate lawn work - I hate raking and mowing. I'm okay with clearing brush - and could survive off the land, if needed, or build a make-shift structure for shelter.

But prison? No. No way. Too dangerous to one's dignity and physical safety, oppression and control. Eww. Not to mention being surrounded by females - - women are pretty difficult to deal with.
edit on 1-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Homeless if in a country with nice weather and in prision if in a cold civilized country
....Or homeless during summer and in prision during winter

edit on 1-4-2013 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join