It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Weeks to Renew an Existing Driver's License, Coming to Your State Soon!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

No. The law in Georgia, as of about 7 or 8 months ago states that everyone has to provide this information, renewing or not.

The local news spent about two weeks filling most of their newscasts with the story and video from DMV's where the waiting lines got to be 6-8 hours deep because of the transition.

To renew in GA you have to have these documents. I don't know if it is a one time thing, or every single time off hand but it does effect renewals and not just folks getting their first license or those who let their licenses lapse.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Yes, they likely do, and it appears you have no problem with that.

Why? Because I'm not crying about it on the internet?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Oh, alright.

Didn't happen like that in my state, and its a Real ID compliance.

Still not see why people are acting as if it is a gigantic deal, because they had to provide this information already to get a DL in the first place.

I'd be willing to be a large portion of people complaining in this thread has a cellphone, or worse a smart phone, yet claim to be worried about being tracked. Probably don't use proxies will browsing the internet either. Probably has a debit cart/credit card.

edit on 30-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

About the Target card. It's a credit card. They never or rarely use the word credit card when they offer it to you. So you think it's just a simple rewards card. So, the reason they need all that information is because you are applying for their store credit card right there. But of course, they don't like to disclose that. Crazy that they can just scan your DL right there!

I know in Canada, when I used to live there 4 years ago, if you wanted to get into a club, they would scan your DL or ID. I heard that that was actually illegal because they were selling the information to god knows who, marketers etc. But if you didn't want your ID scan, no party time for you!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. I am against drivers licensing in the first place but this just takes the cake.

I have to get mine renewed come May here in PA, I've seen that they introduced legislation but they have really done anything. Hopefully it is still like it used to be.

Honestly, if I need all that garbage I won't even get it renewed. It isn't worth it to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Hmmmm.
Imagine that.... the strong arm of DHS is intimately involved in this.

We need to kill that monster. It is way too big.

And who gave us a whole new federal department - costing billions upon billions of dollars - wait for it - the wonderful - almost saintly - Team George Bush II.

I thought conservative tended to States rights over Federal control? Hmmm. Am I wrong.

Just have to love this one - can't help myself. Watch just who you are voting for.

In the spirit of Easter, I will quote the Bible:

Matthew 7:16 -

New International Version (©2011)
By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
New Living Translation (©2007)
You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

English Standard Version (©2001)
You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Then we have Luke 6:43:

"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.

And I will end with 2:18:

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

Happy Easter to Christians everywhere. Happy Passover to Jews everywhere.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by YapTalk
What about telling these 'servants' that you have the RIGHT TO TRAVEL & to shove it?

Any of you ever stop to think that they implement this crap because you go along with it?

For many years professionals within the criminal justice system have acted upon the belief that traveling by motor vehicle upon the roadway was a privilege that was gained by a citizen only after approval by their respective state governments in the form of a permit or drivers license.

Legislators, police officers, and court officials are being made aware that there are court decisions disproving the opinion that traveling is a privilege that requires government approval.

"Even the legislature has no power to deny to a citizen the right to travel upon the highway and transport his property in the ordinary course of his business or pleasure, though this right may be regulated in accordance with the public interest and convenience." Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 NE 22.

("Regulated" here means traffic safety enforcement: stop lights, signs, etc.)

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit at will, but a common right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 179.

Easy read here / source

& Yes, been doing it for over 14 years with absolutely no problem.

Yep...I can see it now. Following your logic, I just drive in my State on an expired DL...tell them to shove it if I get pulled over. Spout some legal mumbo jumbo at them, while they have my car impounded, and put the cuffs on me.

We are talking about Georgia here, Bubba......

Better yet, you tell me which State I can quote legal verbiage to an arresting Officer, and he'll let me go. That's why Lawyers have jobs...ya know.....

The REAL ID ACT is a centralized format in which all your bank accounts, can be frozen in an instant, without court approval. Also, your property can be seized, without court approval, all under the guise of Homeland Security.

So, say you purchased a gun, from a gun dealer, who has a shady past, you know nothing about. During the registration process....you can be implicated also, just by purchasing and legally registering the gun.

Sounds crazy...yes......

Des

edit on 30-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
At least we know you are who you say you are.

Nothing wrong with Real ID. I applaud its implementation and have yet to see a reasonable argument against it.

Though I can't make a legal argument against, I believe that one would include "not incriminating oneselve" and "unlawful" search. Then there are privacy issues. This is a facist policy and largely unnecessary due to "Total Information Awareness" (thank you team G Bush I)". Equal protection under the law. I think there are plenty of reasoned arguments against. Then there is the cost to states and individuals..... Not good with the sequester and all....

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
reply to post by Hefficide

Oh, alright.

Didn't happen like that in my state, and its a Real ID compliance.

Still not see why people are acting as if it is a gigantic deal, because they had to provide this information already to get a DL in the first place.

I'd be willing to be a large portion of people complaining in this thread has a cellphone, or worse a smart phone, yet claim to be worried about being tracked. Probably don't use proxies will browsing the internet either. Probably has a debit cart/credit card.

For what this is worth, it didn't happen that way in Springfield, Missouri back in December, either. In fact, I had all my documents ..as required..but she literally didn't look at most of them. She just waved them past and processed my renewal for my Class A CDL. Usually a license demanding more hassle, not less.

Then...everything has apparently started changing. First though, the required documents became something to deal with in Mo a couple years ago and here are the details for people to see it here.

U.S. Birth Certificate - certified with an embossed, stamped or raised seal issued by a state or local government. (Hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable.)
U.S. Passport (valid or expired)
Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization, or Birth Abroad
U.S. Military Identification Card or Discharge Papers - Military document must be accompanied by a copy of U.S. Birth Certificate issued by a state or local government.
Source

As the terms on the site are used interchangeably for renewal vs. new issue, so it is required either way at the office.

Now what we're fighting here because they've done it against our state law and behind the backs of our own state lawmakers (some of whom are pissed, as a fair description) is add the Real ID act hardware and equipment. Where in December, she barely glanced at it? Had they had the new equipment they aren't supposed to be using ..she would have scanned every document which, in turn, would be sent upstream to the federal level that supplied the hardware in the first place.

For those who haven't put 2+2 together on this yet ..and many don't right away ....what do you ALSO present to get a license issue if, say, you have a CCW you need endorsed on the license or ID card? It's part of the document package and part of the scanning up to the feds computers. THAT part has never existed before. Not direct scanning right from the counter into DHS computers waiting for the data.

It's the core basis for the ultimate Holy Grail in investigation work. A *single* source database to get a full cradle to grave dossier on an individual. Even NCIC has serious issues with accuracy and it little better than a credit report for that in SOME ways. They're rebuilding it from scratch, in a way, and this is the heart of it.

edit on 30-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

We are talking about Georgia here, Bubba......

This place is home of the good 'ol boy system. There may not be a Hazzard County here, but best believe our po-po take the actions/mistakes of Boss Hog and do their best to learn from and to do right by them. Either you're family of a Good 'Ol Boy, or you are best friends with one. Don't fall into one of those 2 categories? Be prepared to take a ride in a squad car

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Destinyone

Des I am dreading the new rules. My DL is valid until mid 2015 but I am going to have a rough, rough time getting it reinstated because of the new rules.

A few years back I had cause to need my B/C and discovered that my original is lost. We think that my father might have had a safety deposit box when he passed away that we were not aware of and cannot find. Anyway - I contacted the county where I was born only to find out that all they have on record is a photocopy. I was born in a military hospital and it since closed. Somewhere in the mix my original was lost - even to the government. Given that I couldn't even pay to order a certified copy of the original... the best they'd do is to mail me a photocopy of their photocopy for free.

Now, thanks to this new crap... it's entirely possible that I am not even legally considered an American.

What a nightmare.

I was born overseas in a military hospital and never had a birth certificate. I had to contact the state department and I would recommend the same to you. It took about a year but I did eventually get a certified copy of my "Record of Birth" and then immediately got a passport. Now I'm pretty well covered.

If you want to get rid of illegals, you have to be willing to go through and comply with facist "papers" requirements.

I recall a time when the only people you were legally required to give your social security number to were your employer and your bank. Now everybody has it.

Look folks - the Nazis ended up winning WWI. Or rather their ideas (memes) did.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

In South Africa it takes 6-8 weeks anyway,but here any form of id will do.Just the fee,and one's id book/passport.What a lot of bother you have to put up with now
sorry to hear.Its a thing one should'nt forget to renew here,though,else you have to get a temporary one,so forgetting can make one have to pay twice!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
OP you let your drivers license expire or never had one in the first place, didn't you? Because that would be the only reason why they would ask you for all that info again.

What to OP is describing is the NORMAL documents you must provide in order to get a drivers license in any state.

But since the OP attached the "real id" act part in the thread everyone freaks out.

BS...I went in before it expired on my birthday. You really think you know it all, don't you. I've always gone in before the expiration date, which is my birthday, to get it renewed. It used to be in and out, simple. Because it was just renewing my EXISTING valid DL.

Now, with the Real ID Act...the compliance laws don't give a damn, that I've been driving here legally for years and years. They are data mining for every bit of personal info on me,.

They are requiring ORIGINAL documentation from me, so they have their butts covered in court, should they ever decided to attach all my property, for whatever reason, they think they can.

Open your eyes....I fear you won't wake up to the facts, until it bites you in the butt.....then it will be too late.

The ACLU has been fighting the Real ID Act, since 2005.....google is your friend.

ETA: for your INFORMATION:

Renewal of Driver's License or Identification Card

A Georgia driver's license or ID Card can be renewed up to 150 days prior to the expiration date or if the driver’s license or ID card is not expired more than 2 years.

The renewed permanent driver's license or ID card will be delivered to the Post Office within 7 days after the transaction is completed. However, if a renewal includes an address change it generally takes 14-21 days to process in order to validate new addresses for security purposes
Renewal Options

Effective July 1, 2012, resulting from Federal requirements for the Real ID Act, DDS will begin issuing Secure ID Driver’s Licenses and ID Cards, Customers who are renewing or applying for the first time, must visit a DDS Customer Service Center in person and present documents proving identity, social security number and residential address. Click here for more information.

A Georgia driver's license or ID Card can be renewed up to 150 days prior to the expiration date or if the driver’s license or ID card is not expired more than 2 years.

Text

www.dds.ga.gov...

Des

edit on 30-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

reply to post by MountainLaurel

The night my uncle died we encountered the same. He got taken to a notorious hospital in Atlanta called "Grady Memorial" ( my mother was actually born there ) and one of my cousins got arrested trying to get into the ER because he had a knife on him that he'd forgotten about.

I come from an Irish family and have dozens and dozens of male cousins and second cousins ( my mother is the youngest of 12 ). Many of us were there and we nearly rioted over that BS. I mean, for Gods' sake... the kid that they arrested was a pain in the butt - to be sure... but his grandfather was in that ER dying. I think that should be one of those compassion / understanding moments. Ya know?

Wow....sorry that happened to him and your Family.....I also have a large Irish Family...lol...went back east to Pitts. PA over the summer to a big Family wedding...don't even get me started on TSA...had it not been for my Dad and how important seeing our Family was ...I would have refused to go through that X-ray machine...I requested not to, and go through the metal detector....now mind you, I am dressed in a dress ,sandels and a sweater....clean cut ,middle aged woman, traveling with a senior parent...nope...they called out the "Big Guns" I was making "trouble"....never again...and anyone that travels with me in the future will know that in advance.....

The hospital we were searched at is in a nice area...statues, fountains, and very lovely and a kind staff actually...WHY not just hold your cousins knife at the front desk untill he left? I have had that done with my floral knife I always carry in my purse? Well, except once getting on a plane, I was given the option to go put it out in my car, but would have missed my flight...so I had to give them my very special and expensive floral knife...

To arrest this kid while his Grandfather was dying is beyond heartless...over what I'm guessing was a pocket knife? grrrrrrrrr

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Been driving with an "expired" DL for over a year.

Cant bring myself to "supply" all that info.............

Blood tests anyone?

S&F

Man stop go get it renewed been there done that and got busted a couple a times,spent 2 years and 2 grand getting it back.
edit on 30-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I know.........

Just burns the hell out of me, the draconian laws put in place.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by neo96

I know.........

Just burns the hell out of me, the draconian laws put in place.

I agree had mine renewed last year they had to mail it to me good til 2018!!!

Think its all utterly ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Law makers are continuing to pass laws that are leaving American taxpayers in the dark. Laws that affect every taxpayer should be put on the ballot and not decided by law makers who are pressured by fear mongering department heads. Our media is also at fault for not informing the public about this law. They continue to headline celebrity news instead of bills that will affect every American.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
My state complies with the REAL ID Act. Took me 25 minutes to get my license.

2nd

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

No. The law in Georgia, as of about 7 or 8 months ago states that everyone has to provide this information, renewing or not.

The local news spent about two weeks filling most of their newscasts with the story and video from DMV's where the waiting lines got to be 6-8 hours deep because of the transition.

To renew in GA you have to have these documents. I don't know if it is a one time thing, or every single time off hand but it does effect renewals and not just folks getting their first license or those who let their licenses lapse.

I am 73 years old and have lived in Ga since 2003 and had to renew after the Real I D act took effect. First, I would like to correct one error made in several replies. You DO NOT have to have your original birth certificate. In many states that is not possible anyway. What you do have to provide is a certified copy of the original from the registrar where the original is kept. While that still means that you have to know where your original is, and that the original was not destroyed in a fire or flood, it does not mean you have to actually present the original document.

I did get a heads up from a friend on the new requirements and had plenty of time to get my records in order. Otherwise I would have had the same problem encountered by some other unfortunate people. I wonder what would happen if I had not been prepared and could not renew before my original license expired. I live alone and have no local family. I have no way to go shopping, to church, keep doctors appointments and more without my car. I know I would have to keep driving without a valid license and wonder what would happen if I were to be pulled over by a traffic officer???

Fortunately, I was prepared and got my renewal on my first visit with no trouble. But in spite of my good fortune of being prepared, I still think the whole thing is just another way the government of the people, by the people and for the people is, one more time, doing it to the people.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join