It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Weeks to Renew an Existing Driver's License, Coming to Your State Soon!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+88 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I just wanted to let you know I renewed my Ga.State Drivers License today. It only took me 6 weeks, even though I've had a Ga. Drivers License for over 16 years.

Thanks to a new Federal program called, the Real ID Act. You too will have to jump through barbed wire hoops to renew your *existing* drivers license. As of right now, only 13 States have implemented the Real ID Act, my State being one of them.

Here is a bit of info, I hope will give you a heads up. My State sent nothing out in the mail informing us of the new law, nor even had it on their website until enough of us complained to get it posted on the DMV sites.

I had to bring in my ORIGINAL, NOT A COPY, Birth Certificate. I'm 62 years old, and it took some time to find that document. I also had to, because my last name, through marriage, is not the same as on my BC, had to provide every single document of marriage, divorce, and any name changes. With original documents.not copies.

Also had to provide a bank statement with proof of address. Also had to give a certified copy of the title to my home, had to go to the court house and get a certified copy of my latest property tax bill.. Also had to provide SS card, and at least one utility bill sent to me at my home address.

One other Woman back for her 4th time, was having to provide a copy of her signed lease and apartment manager contact number...why in Gods name they needed that, I don't know.

For me, it took 3 trips to the DMV, having documents not accepted because they said the Federal Law required *certified* copies of all documents.

They then scanned every single document in and sent them to a central Federal Government Computer, bank, to do a Federal ID check on me, looking for any reason I should not get my drivers license renewed. That took 15 mins for the return approval from the Federal Computer Bank, to get my License. Then I was charged an extra $20.00 over and beyond the regular fee, for the Government to do an ID check on me...that I had to pay separately from the my State fee.

So far 25 States are fighting this new law...but they have been told THEY MUST COMPLY. This is a Nation wide, Federal Law. No one can opt out.

I find this so invasive...I left the DMV in tears of relief to just be able to drive my legally registered car, to my legally owned home.

Here is the info you will need to renew your Drivers License in the 13 States now in compliance with this new Federal Law. Don't even bother going in without the required documents...there is NO wiggle room....

I was also informed my State will soon require a REAL ID ACT drivers license or card to board a plane for travel.

Read this and weep.....Real ID ACT Homeland Security run amok....

Iowa to adopt controversial driver's license program

William Petroski, The Des Moines Register9:21a.m. EST January 3, 2013
Program would force applicants to meet federal standard rules for ID verification.

Ben Stone, executive director of the Iowa chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said his organization has concerns the program's requirements may be a burden to many Iowans. People will be required to present documents that establish their identity and date of birth, Social Security number, residential address and their lawful presence in the United States.

In other states, people have run into problems when their records were lost or damaged in natural disasters, birth certificates were never issued or were issued with errors, or a person was raised under a different name than what's on the birth certificate.

ACLU officials noted that other states have already rejected large parts of the REAL ID program, which they describe as an ill-conceived attempt to turn state driver's licenses into a national ID card. Twenty-five states have passed resolutions rejecting REAL ID, and in 15 states, it is illegal for state officials to comply with the law, ACLU officials said.

Iowa is among 13 states that have met requirements of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for the REAL ID program. The others are Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Wyoming.

www.usatoday.com...

REAL ID ACT

REAL ID Act
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Real ID Act of 2005 Great Seal of the United States.
Full title To establish and rapidly implement regulations for State driver's license and identification document security standards, to prevent terrorists from abusing the asylum laws of the United States, to unify terrorism-related grounds for inadmissibility and removal, and to ensure expeditious construction of the San Diego border fence.

en.wikipedia.org...

ETA: My rural DMV office is only open 2 days a week. During the 2+ hours I was there today...out of about 50 people who came in for DL renewal...I only saw 3 other people meet the requirements with documents to get it done....I'm so glad it only took me 3 trips.

Des

edit on 29-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Holy crap! Isn't that going to make the lines at the DMV even longer?!? I'm glad Texas isn't there yet. Maybe I can get mine renewed before we get added to the list.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

All States are supposed to be in compliance be the end of this year. Those not in compliance are now breaking the law. If you can get it done now...RUN AND DO IT!!!!!!

I added to my OP, I only saw 3 out of about 50 applicants today meet the requirements.

Des

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is what happens when there is too much government involvement going on. If this is what people have to go through just to renew an existing driver's license..... Imagine what you're going to go through to get medical procedures and treatment with a government run health insurance plan.

What a nightmare! Sorry for your bad experience.

+21 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Get these PIGS out of our lives NOW!

What total BS!

I accuse any Amerikan ATS'er not flagging this thread GUILTY. Guilty of LIHOP.

F&S.

:shk: Fricken tyrannical morons. It must totally suck to be called a moron every day of the week by an increasingly awakening population. Bloated, wasteful, abusive, corrupt, power mongering beasts.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Yet they want to give some undocumented illegals drivers licenses? This madness has to stop! Is this what Ohio's governor Kasich is trying to implement?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I can't seem to find any updated information about the RealID act, and people are just going to have to search for themselves, as to your states adherence to this law.

If you've been fishing in your pocket trying to find your national ID card, stop. Twenty-five states, either through statute or legislative resolution, rejected the act or said they would not comply with Real ID, and 15 states have laws prohibiting compliance with Real ID. Since the federal government's only recourse under the statute would be to bar citizens of those states from using their drivers' licenses to enter federal buildings or board airplanes, which would bring air travel to a grinding halt, Real ID implementation has been delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed. In fact, the Department of Homeland Security, in whose jurisdiction Real ID falls, only has four full-time staffers working on its implementation. Not really an effective way to make it happen.

www.aclu.org...

The 25 states spoken of are found in the following link:

www.realnightmare.org...

Following is a list of states where legislation against Real ID is currently active, with links to the relevant legislation and, where available, its status. The map below shows the introduction and passage of anti-Real ID bills, as well as states that have already opted out. This list will be constantly changing as more states act, and it will be updated as quickly as possible

I can actually be proud to say I live in a red state! But hey, even blue states are in good hands according to these maps.

If anybody can find more up to date information, please contribute.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
In order to get my license here, I had to provide the original document, birth certificate. No copies. And because I do not have a bank account, they made me take a form to my property manager to fill out that I actually live in the place I say I'm in. I thought this was ridiculous since I've been in the DMV system for almost 15 years now.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

I felt like I was in Nazi Germany...I saw grown people crying. Saying they haven't a clue where some of those documents are, or how to obtain them.

One Woman was there with her adopted teen son, from a previous marriage, trying to get her son a learners permit to drive. No go. She was told she had to locate the missing Father for his documents, as she was not the birth Mother. And the son did not have her last name.

She said he split years ago, was sent to prison at some point, and she had legal custody of the son. She even provided all the court and DFACS documents proving this. She even had brought in her last 4 years tax returns to show she had the son as a dependent....no go.

She was told to contact the prison the father was released from to try and locate him, All because the son did not have her last name. She was legally divorced from the father, and had those documents too.

What a mess!!!!!!!

Des

edit on 29-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
Yet they want to give some undocumented illegals drivers licenses? This madness has to stop! Is this what Ohio's governor Kasich is trying to implement?

And I'm pretty sure they won't meet the requirements we will be forced to meet. There's no way they can possibly do it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
My poor brother about pissed himself when he received a letter in the mail with a return address of DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY and the State of Tennessee on it. He opens it up real slowly and peeks inside just to find.......his renewal for his DL.

Poor guy, LoL.

But I mean really, this is getting absurd. I will have to renew mine next year. Apparently I better start preparing for it now.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Hmmmm.
Imagine that.... the strong arm of DHS is intimately involved in this.

We need to kill that monster. It is way too big.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I feel for you...I live in Washington State and got my ID renewed last year...all I had to do was bring in my old ID.

I found an interesting article that gives a timeline on all of this...please read.

www.leg.wa.gov...

Washington and a few other states did comply to a certain extent. Here is a quote from the article...

(March 2012 Congressional hearing on REAL ID, testimony
of Office of Policy Assistant Secretary David
Heyman)

“It is important to note that REAL ID regulation provides
DHS with the ability to recognize comparable programs
in states and territories that issue driver’s licenses and
ID cards consistent with the minimum requirements of
the regulation.
For example, four states (Michigan, New York, Vermont
and Washington) currently issue Enhanced Driver’s
Licenses and Enhanced Identification Documents that
were developed in alignment with the REAL ID
standards, but can also be used by U.S. citizens as a
border crossing document to enter the United States
through a land or sea port of entry in accordance with
the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.”

edit on 29-3-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
So sorry you went through such hell just to renew your American DL. Good news is that it is now finished and you are in the clear.

Now be sure and put all that documentation into one place so that you do not have to feel anxiety next time.

I appreciate the heads up and what documentation to have ready.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
At least we know you are who you say you are.

Nothing wrong with Real ID. I applaud its implementation and have yet to see a reasonable argument against it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
According to the ACLU 25 states are rejecting, and 15 have passed laws exempting their citizens from the "Real I.D" act.

Georgia is/was one of them. I wonder what happened with this?

Georgia –GA. CODE ANN. § 40-5-4.1 (2010) (The Governor of the State of Georgia, or his or her designee, is authorized to delay compliance with certain provisions of thefederal Real ID Act, H.R. 1268, P.L. 109-13, enacted by Congress in 2005, until it is expressly guaranteed by the Department of Homeland Security, through adequately defined safeguards, that implementation of the Real ID Act will not compromise the economic privacy or biological sanctity of any citizen or resident of the State of Georgia.)

Here is a excerpt from Montana and why they are rejecting real id.

Montana will not agree to share its citizens' personal and private information through a national database, nor bear the exorbitant cost building such a database. Furthermore, the Act tramples on our state's right to determine our own licensing procedures and protocols, and would interfere with our state's work to improve drivers' license security.

Montana is in no mood at all for another heavy-handed play by the federal government, such as what transpired in 2008 when the homeland security director threatened to prevent Montanans from boarding an airplane unless we complied with the REAL ID act. We refused, and will refuse again.

While folks in Washington may have believed they knew what was best for Montana when they created the REAL ID Act, in fact, Montanan's have little use for this unpopular, unfunded, and completely unfeasible mandate. The House Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security should use today's hearing to begin the process of repealing the REAL ID Act.
- Brian Schweitzer, Governor, Montana

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I wonder what these people will want next? Blood sample? Finger prints?
2nd

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

You used to be able to renew for 10 years. Now with the Real ID Act. Only 5.

AND...when I said, since my renewed DL will have the seal on it showing I've provided all this info...I won't have to do this again...right?

NOPE...was told the law required it be done all over again in 15 years. EVERY 15 YEARS.

Des

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
One more thought on this matter, can you imagine after a major widespread disaster in the US what a fiasco it will be? That is when all this garbage can really be kicked into motion.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Taissa

Retinal scans and DNA samples...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join