It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me about Magick.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Originally posted by thelongjourney
Insulting and berating me because I am asking for evidence that magick can impact the physical world only proves the point.

That would be akin to me asking Christians to prove that they receive salvation through belief in Christ.

There answer would be that they have faith.

I am not aware of any Christians claiming that they their faith can manifest things and bring them physical wealth, except prosperity gospel Christians, which have as little evidence as magick believers.

I can tell logic and reason is not wanted when it comes to talking about magick though, not that I am surprised.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by thelongjourney

It seems we have vastly different ideas of what magic is after this thread. As I have understood it, it is more of understanding the balance of my affect on my actions. I don't believe for a second it's making a bus disappear, or turning someone into a newt.

I had no idea what people meant when they said magic or magik. There are differing opinions, but the majority I have understood here are all pointing to the same thing.

I used LOGIC to gather OPINIONS so I could LEARN. I found the thread fascinating.

As I said, the concept is so all-encompassing that it becomes meaningless. I am addressing people in this thread who seem to think "magick" has some sort of physical effect on the world.

I think using some LOGIC to examine the development of the concept is in order, but apparently critical thought is not appreciated. I leave everyone to continue embracing ignorance, I'm ignoring the thread, I can see any actual critical analysis of this is absolutely not wanted.
edit on 2-4-2013 by thelongjourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I am sorry you see it that way. It's kind of an abstract thing that requires a good bit of faith to even try to understand it. Either way, I can't seem to find any harm in discussing it or trying to learn from others beliefs.
Your opinion is welcome and your discussion is earnestly solicited. I meant no disrespect to you.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I understand what your saying. Let me say this.

If the world only based it's reality on Logic, we would not be where we are at today.

When you base all your thoughts and statements on Logic, you limit yourself and your own understanding of the unknown.

Use that right side of the brain and delve where you never delved before~

Doesn't mean that Magic is 100% true but just like Conspiracies~ It..... Just..... Can't.... Be..... Dis.... Proven~

Best outcome is a stalemate~ Mate~

Cheers~

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

As I said, the concept is so all-encompassing that it becomes meaningless. I am addressing people in this thread who seem to think "magick" has some sort of physical effect on the world.

You’re right; the subject of magic encompasses a wide range of beliefs, subjects and practices. The definition of magic is dynamic, in that some concepts have moved from the realm of the supernatural into the realm of science.

As Earthcitizen23 mentioned earlier, discoveries in Quantum mechanics indicate that mere intention has a real and measurable effect on the physical world.

Personally, I’ve always tried to reconcile that which I know to be true through empirical evidence to that which I know to be scientific fact. Seeking the physical mechanisms which allow for “paranormal” or “supernatural” phenomena is a worthwhile endeavor and I’ve found many scientific discoveries that could fit the bill.

The practices of prayer, chanting, incantation, ritual, spell casting, positive thinking, etc… are ancient in origin and universal in practice. All of these practices are merely aspects of the same concept, that a desired result can be produced simply by wishing it so. Sounds crazy I know but as I said earlier, empirical evidence and scientific evidence indicates that intention produces a real, tangible physical effect.

I think using some LOGIC to examine the development of the concept is in order, but apparently critical thought is not appreciated. I leave everyone to continue embracing ignorance, I'm ignoring the thread, I can see any actual critical analysis of this is absolutely not wanted.

Contrary to what you believe, logic and critical thought has been and continues to be applied to examining the physical mechanisms behind “supernatural” abilities and phenomena. And in spite of your assessment as to the IQ of the responders to this thread. I would bet that most here are extremely intelligent. Critical analysis is welcomed and encouraged however, don’t be too quick to dismiss that which cannot be measured and quantified by conventional means.

edit on 2-4-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I am not aware of any Christians claiming that they their faith can manifest things...

It is common practice for Catholics to hold novenas where prayers are offered up for specific occurences and results.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Majick..is basically about belief.
The nearest scientific proof of majick...is that if a person truly accepts something as real..it can have real effects. But this has only been publicly admitted to as the placebo effect, which is an unexplained phenomena where a patient is given false diagnosis or fake medication and yet their condition improves or is completely is cured, all due to their belief in the medical treatment or the doctor treating them.

Can a person influence things outside of their actual bodies though? well that would be considered beyond the placebo effect...but people who wish or pray are attempting to do so, weather they truly believe they have a chance of making things happen beyond their powers as normal people is another thing altogether or weather they really believe that God is listening is also debatable.

Most people hope their is a God but to literally believe in God is a different kettle of fish...And this is the crux of magick or faith or belief. You literally have to believe in it, just as much as you believe your standing on solid ground. To get faith like this is something lots of people claim to have but few if any really do have.
If you check out history it's said saint's who truly believed in God, could levitate or appear in distant places at will, could they really do this? I have no idea, but the fact they had exceptional faith and their abilities to transcend normal human powers suggests that if you can believe it, maybe you can achieve it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This is almost beginning to Remind me of the parody book based on the Prophet by Kahliel Gibran called the Profit by Kehlog Albran.

Specifically the section called ON BLACK MAGIC.

Then an old woman said, Speak to us of Black Magic, Master.
He Then Replied:
As a youth I passed an Old Orphanite travelling toward Carthage.
He was a Sorcerer who practiced Falientography, and had mastered arts as black as carbon

To prove his skill he changed a tree frog
into an apricot, a feather into a pineapple, and
a butterfly into a ham.

Did that Satisfy your doubts? the woman asked.

No, Not Really, but we had a grand breakfast, the Master Recalled.

ba da boom! Levity anyone?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I've only skimmed over this thread,but wanted to add 2 cents

am going to be as vague as alchemy and 'magick' should be

3 key ingredient

meditation
white metal=sea salt
gold=honey comb

HAVE FUN

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
the initiate must first master the mind by reconciling illusory thought-forms, essentially philosophic dead ends; a process which begins with ego death, but is thereafter expounded upon like building blocks upon a foundation, as the initiate is now on the path, the seeking, internal alchemy, or gnosis.

in order to focus the will with any power, the initiate must bring their mind into inseparable alignment with the quintessence, or true reality. the magi is born.

from here a self-stylized system of symbols, incantations, and talismans can be developed, to be used in the service of specific types of invocation/evocation. the magi is free to assign intentional signature as they see fit. a system such as this serves to amplify the energy behind whatever it is the magi wishes to conjure, but is not absolutely necessary to achieve palpable results or effects.

most necessary is absolute will, being in conjunction with that of the most fundamental reality. intention must be maintained at all times if the sorcery is to work on any level.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
What's magic about wands? The magic isn't in the wand it's self, it's what the wand does. In class rooms all over the world, wands are used to direct and focus attention. THis is a wand's only intended purpose (poking people and sword fighting don't count). Wands are considered magic because they work directly with attention.

Nobody can deny that what you focus your attention on changes your reality. Don't pay enough attention to your studies and you flunk out, don't pay enough attention to your girlfriend and she'll make you regret it, focus on the negative and you'll be bummed out. Focus too much on somebody's annoying habits and it will drive you nuts

Consider the amount of attention you possess a limited resource, like computing power. Since attention is a limited resource, you want to use what you have as effectively as possible. This is done by purging your system of malware and viruses, useless habits that infest your system using up precious attention.

If attention is your computing power, then archetypes are the programs that run on that computer. Your biggest bloatware that puts the biggest drain on your system is your ego or concept of self. There is nothing we know better than ourselves, so obviously this is going to be the largest archetype which consumes the most attention. Unfortunately the ego isn't that useful of a program, so it's best to substitute it with a lighter less resource intensive version.

Magical power is no different than optimizing the performance of your computer. Purge viruses and don't run ego programs which are packed with useless features you don't need or use. You free up more attention, you have more power to put towards whatever you magical goals are.
edit on 3-4-2013 by The Cusp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

I was thinking about this yesterday as well....

One of the problems people encounter when applying the principle of intent to effect a change is that the idea of mere thought changing reality is counter to everything we've been taught. In order to be successful one must overcome all of the programmed ideas that reality is static and cannot be effected by mere thoughts or words.

Using an object to focus thoughts is one aspect of the wand but I think another aspect is that using an object can provide a means to overcome negative thoughts. If one truly believes that an object can be magical, this allows the mind to bypass all negative influence of past 'programing' and allows the 'intent' to flow unhindered.

My personal choice is a wooden box. I picked up an unfinished wooden box from Hobby Lobby and used wood burning/engraving tools to carve various symbols into the sides and top. Then I stained it and lined it with red velvet. If I have a need or know of someone that has a need or request, I simply write the request on a piece of paper and seal it with wax. Sometimes I'll use some sort of signet to make an impression in the wax seal.... it's usually a cross.

It’s amazing how well it works….

edit on 3-4-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

I meant the wand as the perfect symbol to represent magic. If you don't mistake the wand it's self as magical, the only thing left is the attention wands direct.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Network dude, have sent u a u2u, let me know if you got it, hate using this tablet :-)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jamjar

Got it and replied. Thanks,

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp

I meant the wand as the perfect symbol to represent magic. If you don't mistake the wand it's self as magical, the only thing left is the attention wands direct.

I prefer to think of it as a medium for intention. All waveforms need a medium to propagate...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Which is more magical...?
Gandalf's staff or Harry Potter's wand???

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinocchio

The mind that perceives them to be...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamjar
reply to post by Pinocchio

The mind that perceives them to be...

Excellent... TY.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>