It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Trend Surfacing - It's Politically Incorrect to Say the "J" Word Now.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

I don't think it is to not offend atheist...I think it is not to offend hard core fundamentalist.

They would censor any talk of Mohammad...and then Christians complain that Muslims get special treatment...so they censor any talk that could be construed as offensive...and Christians are still offended.

And by the way...when she said it, to me it sounded like she was being very very sarcastic about it.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Here is an example from another incident where Joy Beher on The View thanked "Jesus" for her weight loss. They censored that on the re-broadcast on the West Coast.

Here is ABC's explanation.

www.truthorfiction.com...

ABC told CNN, however, that the name of Jesus came up in a humorous way and that the decision to bleep it was not meant to be one of disrespect to Jesus or to Christians but to be sensitive to those who might have been offended with the humorous us of it. ABC said that the name Jesus can be used in a respectful way, but the network prohibits it from being used in exclamations.

Hell's Kitchen is on FOX, not ABC, but I'm sure they have a very similar policy.

So yes, it is meant to be done out of respect...not to try to appease atheists.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
Really the only curse words there are is G D and saying the lords name in vain.. Others are just words.
I guess you haven't been to Quebec lately.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

I think it's hilarious how you called Gordon Ramsay "Chief Ramses", by the way. Was it intentional?

Actually, to be truthful, I wasn't certain how he spelled his name and was just going to refer to him as "the chief", but I also thought it was a humorous pun so I went with it.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

IMO, ABC was using that as an excuse. I have to believe that they don't want to offend anyone or stir up any controversy because of ratings only. Like I said in an earlier post, it's basically over the top political correctness.

ETA: Why just censor the west coast? Is it because a live broadcast didn't catch it or because of all the atheists or all the Christians in California?

edit on 27-3-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last line.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck

IMO, ABC was using that as an excuse. I have to believe that they don't want to offend anyone or stir up any controversy because of ratings only. Like I said in an earlier post, it's basically over the top political correctness.

ETA: Why just censor the west coast? Is it because a live broadcast didn't catch it or because of all the atheists or all the Christians in California?

edit on 27-3-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last line.

Why start a thread for discussion if you have already made up your mind?

Yes, the initial broadcast of The View was live and wasn't censored until after they discussed it and censored it for the re-broadcast...it's all right there in the link. But oh yeah..they did it because everyone in California is an atheist.

If you haven't noticed, there is currently an entire series on History channel about the Bible and they mention Jesus many times. I really don't think there is a conspiracy against mentioning Jesus name.

You WANT this to be controversial...even when proof is given to you that networks will censor the names of religious figures if not used in a respectful way...you continue to want to push YOUR agenda on this. The way it was used on Hell's Kitchen was in a sarcastic and humorous way...so it was censored....get over it.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I've never been to Quebec. Is that an inside joke up about Canadian frogs up there in the Great White North?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Sure I have my opinions, doesn't everyone?

To clarify, I can believe it, but I question it too. I'll go along with what you put forth here and give you that, but putting my trust in a media network is nothing I do lightly.

Also I never said I don't want any opposing view point on my post. I actually thank you for your input and will give a star for that.

ETA: I personally don't believe that she was being sarcastic and humorous, but truly grateful and thanking her Lord.
edit on 27-3-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last line

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I personally don't believe that she was being sarcastic and humorous, but truly grateful and thanking her Lord.

I personally find it offensive when an individual thanks God for helping them win at a competition and making someone else lose.

I find it offensive that any arrogant individual thinks God or Jesus helped them win a reality show competition while there is horrible suffering in this world.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

I personally don't believe that she was being sarcastic and humorous, but truly grateful and thanking her Lord.

I personally find it offensive when an individual thanks God for helping them win at a competition and making someone else lose.

I find it offensive that any arrogant individual thinks God or Jesus helped them win a reality show competition while there is horrible suffering in this world.

Apparently the network censors had you in mind and I'm glad that you made your position clear.

Really though, if you're trying to find my goat, you'll have to search a little harder and I require a password to press any of my buttons.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
One huge problem in our society today: People are too easily offended.

When did we turn into a bunch of whiners? It really is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

In other words the opposite of the OP's claim is true and instead it's the rest of us persecuted and censored from using Jesus in a way that might offend Christians. I think some Christians suffer from persecution envy. How sad is that...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Star for you Daryllyn. Good point.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Its people like you that have started all of this PC crap in the world. Instead of just ignoring something you dont agree with, you lash out and whine and bitch about it, then find a lawyer and sue to make an example out of them.
Then other lawsuits follow and in time, people, businesses, employers and schools are afraid of similar, more high profile lawsuits, so they fall in line with the pansy, liberal PC crowd.
Yes, thank you for making the world a safer place for us all

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Its people like you that have started all of this PC crap in the world. Instead of just ignoring something you dont agree with, you lash out and whine and bitch about it, then find a lawyer and sue to make an example out of them.
Then other lawsuits follow and in time, people, businesses, employers and schools are afraid of similar, more high profile lawsuits, so they fall in line with the pansy, liberal PC crowd.
Yes, thank you for making the world a safer place for us all

No, sorry...I can be offended without taking action on it. I'm offended that idiots think God or Jesus are their personal vending machines giving them goodies while witholding it from others. It's not an offense that I don't want to see...I would rather know who the arrogant idiots are.

Like everything you just said...it lets me know just how unintelligent you are and I thank you for that free and open advertisement of that. It still offends me that there are people like you in our society, but I am glad you are free to speak your opinion so we can all know to ignore you and not take you serious.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Lmao, truth hurts dont it?
btw, im not at all religious but im not at all offended by it either.
Go have mommy make you a bottle so youll stop whining now.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

Lmao, truth hurts dont it?
btw, im not at all religious but im not at all offended by it either.
Go have mommy make you a bottle so youll stop whining now.

And what "truth" are you speaking of?

I am very very interested in hearing which "truth" is hurting me.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I go along with the idea that people shouldn't be asking God for favors or to curse their rivals, but to thank the Lord for a good thing in your life that you see as a blessing is OK with me. I'll leave it to God to judge if a person is being selfish and greedy when they send praises his way. Ultimately we can't say what was in that woman's heart and we have no place being the judge on behalf of God. Maybe, just before that she was praying that the other woman wouldn't get canned, how are we to know?
edit on 27-3-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
One huge problem in our society today: People are too easily offended.

When did we turn into a bunch of whiners? It really is ridiculous.

Jesus Christ are you ever 100% correct on that one. There is NO word which is inherently bad, including so-called ethnic "slurs". It is entirely in the spirit in which something is said. If I pointed at you and angrily said "You're just a grapefruit! Who cares what a grapefruit has to say?" that doesn't suddenly mean anyone in their right mind should start referring to grapefruit as the "G-word".

People are far too sensitive. Furthermore, for a supposedly selfish, self centered, me-first society we sure do have a lot of fools out there who trip all over themselves trying to show how sensitive they are by not even thinking one of the "banned words", let alone speaking one of them.
Try living for one full day without a governor on your brain and mouth... it's actually pretty damn liberating and by taking all the power out of the supposed BAD WORDS, you find them to be just what they are... words. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

It is entirely in the spirit in which something is said.

Bingo! That's hitting the nail square on the head. She didn't say, "Thank you Baby Jesus" because that the other woman lost, I think she was thankful to make it though Ramsay's abuse and prove herself worthy of the challenge.
edit on 27-3-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join