It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Trend Surfacing - It's Politically Incorrect to Say the "J" Word Now.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I should have foreseen this coming, but it really floored me. I guess I should be used to getting blindsided like this.

Last night I happened to tune into "Hell's Kitchen" (aptly named after what I saw) and caught the end of it. I usually don't like watching that show because it gets me stressed to watch Chief Ramses being so abusive to the contestants, every other word he uses is censored because he is swearing at everyone constantly.

Well, they pulled one woman off the show and then had another woman, who was nearly booted, make a statement. She said that she really dodged a bullet in that round and then she looked up and said, "Thank you Baby (censor beep)."

I can usually fill the blank pretty easy with a swear word, as the censors are sure to give you the sound of the first letter of the censored word, but this word was completely censored. Can anyone guess what the offensive word was that the producers censored? How soon before it is bad language to say the "J" word in public?

OK, it was a personal decision by the network or the show's producers to censor such a controversial word, but I suspect that this is a rising trend here in the U.S. if they are willing to censor it, certainly one I never expected.

I have to say this, as a personal and public statement, "Jesus" is not a bad word!

Leave it to the media to spearhead such an agenda as making something good evil and evil good.

Watch out people, very soon you will be unable to say the "J" word in public anymore.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Jesus is NOT a bad word, but using it in VAIN like this lady was doing IS wrong if you follow the bible and are a christian.. It is like saying G D which is sometimes censores also... You can not say curse words on tv.. I do not think they blocked it because they dislike Jesus I think they blocked it because it IS cursing to a christian.. Really the only curse words there are is G D and saying the lords name in vain.. Others are just words... Make a joke or show the muslim's mohammed in picture form and your asking to have a fatwa on your ass..

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
You know I too caught that and wondered wth was that about.
I could maybe understand if it were used as slang, but even then that would be odd.
I wonder if 'oh my God' will be next?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I see nothing wrong with praising and thanking "J" for pulling you through a hard time. This doesn't seem to be a vain use of the "J" word. I think they don't want to upset anyone against Christianity.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

A spoiler alert would have been nice!

Yeah, the hypocrisy on TV is beyond absurd.

Certain words cannot be said yet sex and violence are perfectly fine, meanwhile other words I would consider inappropriate are frequently allowed. I don't agree with censorship but there should be some global consistency with what they allow to be said/shown.

ETA:

I owe you a thank you...this is one of my favorite shows and I was unaware that a new season has started so I now have some catching up to do.
edit on 3/27/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

I didn't see it as a curse, she was thanking baby Jesus.
Is that too considered a bad thing to hard core Christians?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
"Oh my gosh" is often used in place of "Oh my God". It is already a no no on TV.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Youre just now noticing this? The first time I noticed it was a few months ago, when watching a movie that I know every line almost by heart.
It was The Matrix and it was the scene where they pulled the tracking bug out of his stomach. he says "Jesus Christ" that thing is real?
But they didnt bleep it out, the replaced it with. ."Jeepers Creepers" that thing is real?
I kid you not
Thats not the only movie ive noticed in either, there have been many times ive noticed that its either just bleeped out or obviously replaced.
Ive said for a long time that there is an attack on christianity, for whatever reason.
Im not even a religious person and ive noticed it.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
He was a man, he has a beard!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

The earliest icons of "J" were the shepherd and he was depicted as a beardless youth. I'll agree with the man part mostly.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

Ive said for a long time that there is an attack on christianity, for whatever reason.
Im not even a religious person and ive noticed it.

I don't want to go as far and say this is an attack on Christianity, but over the top political correctness.

Thanks for your input concerning movies, obviously it is going on in all media. Networks and producers are the ones who don't want to lose the atheists, Jews or the followers of the "M" word.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I was never entirely sure what 'taking His name in vain' meant back when I was a Christian. However, I was still ashamed if I used the words God or Jesus as an exclamation or swear word, and disliked seeing it used that way by other people.

Is it possible that the people who censored it are working from the same prudish mindset?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I feel OK with using the names of God or the "J" word. Sure, it's not a smart move to fool around with the creator if you fear the wrath of God, but I'm sure an all knowing being will see the intention of someone's statements.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Oh PuLeeze! How is thanking Jesus the same thing as damning him??? She didn't say G**Dammit, she said thank you baby Jesus. She probably says it in her prayers too. This is obviously not the same thing. How can anyone be that overly sensitive?? yet it's perfectly ok to show tons of sex and violence on TV. Trust me, they aren't attempting to look out for the Christians. Christians would find the gay sex that runs rampart on tv these days much more offensive than someone openly thanking Jesus any day. No, they definitely aren't thinking about keeping Christians happy.

I'll tell you why they bleeped it. They don't want to offend the athiests, because they are the growing trend, and the religious, especially the Christians, are shrinking in numbers. It's all about ratings and keeping their sponsors happy. Money people, money. It's all part of the same move that's trying to take religion out of every aspect we are used to seeing it, in the pledge, on the dollar, now on TV. What's next, yes an open ban on the word Jesus. Wait and see. Maybe not now, but one day. We sure seem to be heading that way.

I'm not even a believer and even I can see how ridiculous all this is. Although lately, I might be changing my stance on that.....
edit on 27-3-2013 by Under Water because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

I'm in total agreement with you Under Water. Gave you a star for that one.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
WOW! I thought you were gonna say Jew...but then thank you baby Jew didn't really work.

Have you noticed to when someone says God (Damn)...they always bleep or leave out the God!

What is up with that? I think more Christians should get mad about them leaving God out of that cursing!

...Oh wait...
edit on 27-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

I think that definitely makes more sense...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
AHHH CRIKEY!

That's me new work around suggested by me overseas mates!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I think it's hilarious how you called Gordon Ramsay "Chief Ramses", by the way. Was it intentional?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I saw that too last night.

I don't think they are censoring it because it is a curse word, I think they are doing it because they don't want to offend anyone.

I'm sure there is a small segment of society out there that would take what she said as insulting to Jesus...so to avoid any drama (but then still create other drama) they censor it out.

If I was a production company, I would censor out all mention of religous figures/prophets just because my goal would be to make money and not creat controversy around my product.

But you can't please everyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join