It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK School Bans Triangular Flapjacks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by IAMTAT
Seriously, this is really just another classic example of the current liberal mentality in action.

A kid throws food at another kid during a cafeteria food fight, hitting the child in the eye...and the current administration, taking absolutely zero responsibility for slacking in it's own duty to supervise and discipline the offending behavior, ultimately ends up blaming the item of food as the problem...while giving their own culpability in the incident a complete pass.

liberal mentality??...i was going to say conservative mentality, some little rich boy told his daddy, that he was being picked on. the daddy having friends in high places, wanted heads to roll.

No, Liberal-mentality best fits the bill here...this was a school administration solution to deflecting fault from their own responsibility...to a lunch food. Kind of like blaming the gun, rather than the shooter.
edit on 25-3-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Kind of like blaming the gun, rather than the shooter.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Banning flapjacks (triangular) will do nothing to prevent the behavior! Today it's flapjacks.

Tomorrow? Jellied eel.

*shudder*

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I think, politics aside, the general consensus here is that this is just another in a long line of examples of stupid decisions being made by stupid people.
However, in the big picture, doesn't it concern people that the same authorities responsible for this ridiculous and knee-jerk decision making...are the exact same people we have charged with teaching our children?
Where is the wisdom here?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

No, Liberal-mentality best fits the bill here...this was a school administration solution to deflecting fault from their own responsibility...to a lunch food. Kind of like blaming the gun, rather than the shooter.

I've always been confused by the way people use the term "liberal" and what it actually means. I guess it's because I'm not American and I don't have a whole lot of interest in politics. Going by what Wikipedia and other sources say about Liberalism it appears to revolve around the concept of smaller and more decentralized non-interventionist Governments, and promotes the ideas of free speech, the free market, civil rights, etc. In general, liberalism promotes the concept of... well liberty. Liberty and gun ownership appear to go hand in hand in my mind... so how you can link "liberal-mentality" to anti-gun or anti-flapjack philosophies doesn't make sense at all to me.

Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis)[1] is a political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty, equality, and justice (including both legal justice and social justice).[2] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally they support ideas such as free and fair elections, civil rights, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free trade, and private property.

The early liberal thinker John Locke is often credited with founding liberalism as a distinct philosophical tradition. Locke argued that each man has a natural right to life, liberty and property[8] and according to the social contract, governments must not violate these rights. Liberals opposed traditional conservatism and sought to replace absolutism in government with democracy and/or republicanism and the rule of law.

Liberalism

edit on 25/3/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

You're not alone. The word "liberal" means different things in different contexts.
Sometimes it means "willing to consider new ideas and ways" as opposed to conservative "keep the status quo."

Other times it implies (when conservatives speak) "larger government" and oversight, while "conservatives" want "smaller government."

It's a tricky thing. I didn't actually get the difference until I was in graduate school.

Your ex-text explains it well, though. Liberty. Freedom. Moving along with things.

edit on 25-3-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Ok so it's like a word that can mean anything.
I think the true problem is so many people don't really understand the meaning of liberalism and they constantly use it to mean what ever they think it means, so eventually it can mean anything and we lose the original meaning.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
heard this on the radio this morning. absolute madness. I'm surprised they don't see pens and pencils as potential daggers.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Other times it implies (when conservatives speak) "larger government" and oversight, while "conservatives" want "smaller government."

Well that's a nice way to muddy up the waters isn't it. Any fool can see liberalism promotes smaller non-interventionist Government who don't infringe upon the "social contract". Liberalism promotes self-sufficiency and independence from the Government, it promotes a free market with less Government interference and less regulations. If we are speaking technically, conservatives want to "conserve" the old ways of monarchies and kings an queens... meaning they want a larger and more centralized Government because this follows the old tried and tested ways of doing things, and provides us with more absolute Governance and gives those fragile conservatives who hate change so much the protection, nannying and comfort they desire from a large Government.

That is how I see it.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Misoir, a valued member here once pointed out that I am a "classical liberal" in my conservative/libertarian views.

The politically correct crowds I tend to identify as "progressives" to avoid muddying the issue.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

So what happens to the students that like to cut their squares diagonally before consuming? Is it illegal to have a triangle shaped flapjack on their plate or just for the school to put it there?

edit on 25-3-2013 by evc1shop because: spelling

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Seriously, this is really just another classic example of the current liberal mentality in action.

This has nothing to do with Liberals and more to do with covering your ass from a lawsuit.

Not that I don't agree that it's pure stupidity.
edit on 25-3-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
So what happens when the lil whippersnappers discover the aerodynamically-lethal qualities of tater tots?; It's only a matter of time.
Should the school's CYA policy mandate banning them, as well?

Where does it all end? Nothing is safe enough...except maybe jello...unless, of course, the kid misses, it hits the floor...and some unsuspecting and unfortunate youngster slips on it and falls.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by BritofTexas

ah, british school dinners, not so much eaten as gagged on and then forced down so you could have some spotted dick

I had spotted dick once, but it came after my encounter with a prostitute, not after dinner.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Well that's a nice way to muddy up the waters isn't it. Any fool can see liberalism promotes smaller non-interventionist Government who don't infringe upon the "social contract". Liberalism promotes self-sufficiency and independence from the Government, it promotes a free market with less Government interference and less regulations.

'Muddy up the waters'?
No, 'any fool' can't see that 'liberalism promotes smaller non-interventionist Government'. That is Republican, conservative thinking.

You really do not understand the term in its different usages.

edit on 25-3-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Then they came for the edible shurikens
and I didn't speak out because I didnt eat shurikens...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
ah, british school dinners, not so much eaten as gagged on and then forced down so you could have some spotted dick

It could be worse. In Catholic school you have to force down the spotted dick before you're allowed to have your lunch.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Well this is interesting and I guess we can see that our schools have different ideas of what is and is not allowed. I finally think I found a spot where I can share my story from today. I have pictures but cannot figure out how to transfer from iPhone to MacBook so is going to take some reading. In any case went to my child's parent teacher conference and was looking at what the kids were working on. Saw printout of guns with quotes such as this "name of gun" was used for men with long arms and could fire xxx rounds, and be used from long distances; this gun (all with picture of gun) was carried because it was light and easy to handle; etc. I asked my son "your learning about gun types and how they are used?" He said that the teacher for that class is teaching about WWII. I never learned about all of the types of guns and their specifications when learning my history, and was a bit amused. I attribute it to a teacher whose trying to make kids aware of these weapons. Have no idea why. I was even discrete when taking a picture so I wouldn't make someone believe I was being weird about it.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I feel sorry for the kids. To be subject to that kind of ridiculousness and not have the authority to speak up and do anything about it. At least the parents have a voice (somewhat), but the kids just have to sit back and take it. It's evil dictatorship.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I feel sorry for the kids. To be subject to that kind of ridiculousness and not have the authority to speak up and do anything about it. At least the parents have a voice (somewhat), but the kids just have to sit back and take it. It's evil dictatorship.

I was also told today by my sons teacher that lots of parents have been complaining because Michelle Obama has made a law that schools cannot allow children to have seconds on anything that isn't healthy? I haven't complained since my child has said nothing but I did ask what they could not have seconds on. He said if it isn't a fruit or veggie, no seconds (no second taco or hamburger as an example). What is unhealthy about ground beef and bread or taco shells. Like I would prefer my child fill up on pesticide laced fruits and veggies!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Flapjacks are triangle? Whats wrong with a circle?

edit:

Thanks for the clarification!

Originally posted by BritofTexas
To clear up a bit of misunderstanding for our American cousins. British Flapjacks are NOT Pancakes.

They are made of Oats, Butter, Honey and Flour. They are then baked. They should be chewy and fairly soft but it seems the offending delicacy in question had been baked until it resembled a Cinder Block.

This of course is quite typical in the Great British tradition of School Dinners.

Fondly do I remember gluing the sole back on my shoe with a bit of the Dinner Lady's Tapioca Pudding.

edit on 25-3-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join