It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Years Of American & British Music. Which Is Better?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
"50 Years Of American & British Music. Which Is Better?"

I dont think there is an answer to that,personally.
I appreciate all music,dosent matter who makes it or where they come from.

But ill add an observation,ALOT of the current music thats being turned out in the U.S is garbage at best.
At least the stuff climbing the charts here in the U.S.

Just my 2 cents.
~Cheers~

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrysalis

I'm from USA

I vote Brit's!

Elvis against the Beatles, Stones, The Who, Kinks! Enough said.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, not much point putting them against each other, but I know for a fact (listening stats) that most of my favorite bands are from the UK. Considering electronic music, UK wins hands down. US has strong indie & psych rock scene.

I love drum & bass (90's), but I can't stand dubstep.. sorry all you fans.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
There is no "better", it is all good...

Except for anything which incites violence against women, children and breeds segregation / racism... Then it's just self indulgent rubbish. But that's my opinion.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Rock and Roll was invented in America, but the Brits took it and made it better in a lot of ways. To this day Brits have better taste in music and more appreciation for good music than America. This is all commonly accepted by musicians. Every rock band wants to play in the U.K. because you guys can appreciate it more than the locals here.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think it depends on what "type" of rock and roll you mean. If you name the ten best metal bands seven of them are British. But if you throw in motown soul and pop music the US has it.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItCameFromOuterSpace
Rock and Roll was invented in America, but the Brits took it and made it better in a lot of ways. To this day Brits have better taste in music and more appreciation for good music than America. This is all commonly accepted by musicians. Every rock band wants to play in the U.K. because you guys can appreciate it more than the locals here.

Nice reply

However let me just state one thing if i may that you may not be aware of in The US. Although Rock & Roll was invented in the US and many British musicians where greatly influenced by it, over here in Britain another form of music was equally as popular. It was called "Skiffle". This type of music also had a great influence on many future greats of popular music. John Lennon Paul McCartney and George Harrison for instance began in a Skiffle Band called "The Quarrymen"

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBryk
I think it depends on what "type" of rock and roll you mean. If you name the ten best metal bands seven of them are British. But if you throw in motown soul and pop music the US has it.

What would you designate as "Pop Music"?

2nd

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Great point!!!! There is alsoCBD.

edit on 24-3-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

I would call pop the basic top 40 chart type of music like Mike Jackson, Brittany Spears, The Beach Boys and the things the 12 year olds tend to love.

I feel the Brits invented and still own hard rock, metal and punk

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordaqua

Originally posted by Logos23

Originally posted by Mijamija
reply to post by Logos23

My all time favorite Smiths song right there.

Smiths being right up there with my all time favorite band Joy Division, along with The Cure, Depeche Mode and so many others.

There is a Light that Never Goes Out is my fave Smiths song too....infact it's my fave song full stop! I grew up in Manchester so I grew up around the Manchester music scene in the 80's/early 90's...because of this I was heavily influenced by the pre- " Madchester" and "Madchester" music scene...it's something I feel blessed to have witnessed and been a part of...including Hacienda!

Morrissey such a charming fellow. Manchester always such a hotbed rife with talent, must be all the melancholy. Smiths, Joy Division, New Order, Stone Roses.. good stuff.

I think the Smiths were pure lyrical and musical genius...but melancholy indeed! Morrissey...the King of mope! I've always felt that they represented the lowest ebb of human experience....whilst somehow managing to create beauty at the same time...but that's an opinion I share that isn't always agreed upon
lol

Originally posted by lordaqua

For me it's always been a battle of style vs substance.. English has the style, the flair for exploration (Pink Floyd, the Who, Radiohead etc.) while the Americans have the ability to generate the raw substance music (the Doors, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix). This isn't always the case but as you get to the elite rankings in music which include the superbands like the Doors and Floyd this is the case.

I certainly believe that both countries bring something different to the mix musically....and I wouldn't like to be without either.
I will be the first to admit my pride can be pretty savage at time's, especially when it come's to patriotism
....but I couldn't allow myself to be clouded by that if I tried....music is a universal language and demand's more respect than that.....

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Pure genius, to often overlooked.

2Pac - Ghetto Gospel

2pac - Changes

That's just the way it is.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join