It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Years Of American & British Music. Which Is Better?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

and you dont put this one up
Right i have made my mind up its this version

ENJOY

BTW
ANYTHING BY MUSE

PINKFLOYD
edit on 23/3/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
You british have disrespected your selfs, led zeppelin is by far the best in the world they speak to my soul and im American. and at the end of this song hey hey what can i do. robert plant says," im going to leave her with the guitars playing". That verse gives me chill sometimes when i hear it.

Though being American to the heart you gotta love blood sweat and tears

The eagles

lynard skynard

bob dylan

the list goes on and on. But being that led zeppelin seemingly sings about my life im gonna have to say the british got something, limey pasty or not they can jam and go for a cup of tea.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I did have second thoughts of mentioning Def Leppard but hey they are massive over in the US. Im not a fan tbh

For me, this is one of the best songs ever. from my favorite band of all time.
Pink Floyd - Shine on You crazy Diamond

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Let me just say I'm glad we have each other to bounce off of. Both great music and crap from both camps. Honestly, I grew up on the British invasion stuff. But I have been wondering...

Nooks and crannies, or crooks and nannies? hmm,,,,

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

Def Leopard is pretty awful.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

so what blues came from southern usa .

doesn't matter where styles come from what matters is how people play the music

If you want to talk blues let's bring out a couple of the masters.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Cool thread. Overall I think that it's fairly even as to which country produces better bands and music.

I've read every post in this thread and I can't believe that nobody has mentioned one of the greatest bands ever to walk the Earth.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
And who can forget Van Halen?
edit on 3/23/2013 by vtcajun because: bad link

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Well I like funk, soul, disco and house music all of which is done best by Americans and has influenced British music and culture more than we like to admit.

At the moment neither country seems to be providing anything fresh.

I think the biggest act on the Disco scene would have been in fact British. Ladies and Gentleman i give you:-

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

youd be amazed what people listen on drugs ^^

although i agree that mix sucks donkey balls,,,, and im into all kinds of music from rap to techno to classical heh only thing i dont like is country music (yes even the fake stuff coming out now) and slow r&b

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Ohhh, American vs British music.......That is a close one for me. Im American.....
I would have to say American music, we did create the grunge genre.

Here is my input.....Listen if you want, just some of my favorites from both sides of the pond.

These are all excellent songs (to me) that you don't hear very often.

American:
Who cant love this song???

UK:
Awesome song by the kinks.

American:
One of my favorites by Skynyrd.

UK:
The cars....

American and UK collaboration the Traveling Willburys: Tom petty, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, Jim Keltner.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

50 year of music, and yet you go back to the past, really shows what has happened in 50 years...... should pick tracks now current and compare with music on both sides of the pond, with the exception of a few artist on both sides that actually know how to write music sing and play and instrument.

MUSIC F ING SUCKS NOW

artist my ass these people just buy other peoples music now not even knowing what the subject matter is, thats why half these artist or more have albums that make no f ing sense what so ever because they didnt come from their own lives........ the whole recording industry is a scam just like the boy band phase, its all become to commercialized that as soon as one artist pop up that even remotely sounds different , bam 5 weeks later there are 5 bands just as big putting out just as much crap as there was, not to mention all they do in songs now is repeat chorus over and over and over (but with no actual chorus) and the same damn beats over and over in every single song. dont believe me? start counting how many artist say the same damn phrase over and over and over to stretch the song out..... its like putting fluff in your essay at school to make sure you got the correct page count minimum lol. its pathetic.

like half the morons from the singing show, that get contracts all the music is crap, the singers dont produce art, the produce what ever is put in front of them , then have someone remix it 500 times.
edit on 23-3-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: tt

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~

50 year of music, and yet you go back to the past, really shows what has happened in 50 years...... should pick tracks now current and compare with music on both sides of the pond, with the exception of a few artist on both sides that actually know how to write music sing and play and instrument.

MUSIC F ING SUCKS NOW

artist my ass these people just buy other peoples music now not even knowing what the subject matter is, thats why half these artist or more have albums that make no f ing sense what so ever because they didnt come from their own lives........ the whole recording industry is a scam just like the boy band phase, its all become to commercialized that as soon as one artist pop up that even remotely sounds different , bam 5 weeks later there are 5 bands just as big putting out just as much crap as there was, not to mention all they do in songs now is repeat chorus over and over and over (but with no actual chorus) and the same damn beats over and over in every single song. dont believe me? start counting how many artist say the same damn phrase over and over and over to stretch the song out..... its like putting fluff in your essay at school to make sure you got the correct page count minimum lol. its pathetic.

like half the morons from the singing show, that get contracts all the music is crap, the singers dont produce art, the produce what ever is put in front of them , then have someone remix it 500 times.
edit on 23-3-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: tt

Guess who has the Number 1 Album is in the UK this week? If you don't know then here it is:-

www.reuters.com...

He began his music career in the 1960's.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
We're discussing this topic on ATS Live! tonight!

There are more details on the show in the link

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Enzo954

Guns and Roses are great? Really? Who knew covering other people's songs makes a great band....

Seriously, they were fun. Slash is a fantastic guitarist. But really, all they are is the greatest Cover Band ever, nothing more.
edit on 23-3-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Larvae eaten by some tribes in the rain forests or a cheeseburger, which is better by any one single definition. It all comes down to taste and what someone is a costumed to. It is a futile question that usually only ends in disagreement and criticism of another custom's in taste.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
wot, no Deep Purple?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
In a radio interview John Lennon was once asked "Who is the best rock vocalists"?
His answer. Noddy Holder.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Noddy Hodler - awesome voice, and a really nice bloke, funny as heck too.

Slade were a great band too, but best watched with your eyes closed
hideous clothes and that

ETA: Vic Reeves' and BobMortimer do Slade just perfect

they have the accents down pat - i went to the same primary school as Noddy, only about 20 years after him
edit on 23-3-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Great clips from Reeves & Mortimer. I have never seen those
:

Here are a few British bands that get overlooked but still great all the same:-

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join