It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Years Of American & British Music. Which Is Better?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Is there a definitive answer to the question? Or is it too close to call? Being British i would have to say British music has been the best over the last 50 years, but hey American music is right up there also.
Here are my 3 selections as to why i call it for Britain:-

So come on you Americans let me here you call it for The US.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Such a racist post and english centered full of old stuff.

Live with your time, DUBSTEP wins wherever it may be from...

edit on 22-3-2013 by Chrysalis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrysalis

The only way you could get anyone with a sense of real music to listen to that would be to lock them in a padded cell in a straight jacket?
And what's with the racist crap?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
At least one from the guitar god.

I couldn't help but put yet another one of our guitar gods we have so many.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

/thread

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

This is about bands that actually have talent. You you can tell this by the way they play instruments.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

This is about bands that actually have talent. You you can tell this by the way they play instruments.

I couldn't have put it in a better way

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Oh, I see all your posts have actually been about guitar, unfortunately, music isn't all about guitar.

I am a guitar player myself, but i also broaden my tastes.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Far too many giants of the music industry from both countries to definitively state which country has produced the best,better to celebrate the differences in the good music that has come from BOTH nations.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Hah! Dubstep...You're a comedian.

Asking that question is, to me, like asking me to pick my favorite fried chicken. I don't care who makes it, as long as it's good.(and good is subjective)

The Who
Band of Horses
We Were Promised Jetpacks
Simon and Garfunkle
Joy Division
Beck
Sigur Ros
Tom Waits

Why compare, just enjoy!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

reply to post by buster2010

Oh, I see all your posts have actually been about guitar, unfortunately, music isn't all about guitar.

I am a guitar player myself, but i also broaden my tastes.

What are you on??

On topic, it's a toss up from me. Soo much good music has come from both sides of the big pond over the past half-century.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm not going to post any videos. Instead I'll simply state a fact. Both forms of music are symbiotic and very much reliant upon one another...

Early immigrants to the US brought with them the music of the British Empire. That music was infused with, and influenced by African and Spanish music in the new world. This mish-mash gave rise to musical variants including bluegrass, gospel, jazz, the blues, country, and early rock and roll.

Jazz, the blues, and early rock influenced the original British invasion. That influenced the next American wave, which, in turn, influenced the second British invasion... and so forth.

In summary... go buy a Robert Johnson anthology and you'll be at the source for the modern. If you want to go further back? Sea shanties and ancient folk music!

FTR: Black Sabbath... that is all.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
hard to say I don't think it is really fair to say who is better on what side of the Atlantic .
two of my favorite bands

Also I do love pink floyd

However I lean towards the this side of the Atlantic metal music sounds funny over there

link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Totally agree Mate, I was compiling a list from both countries when I read your post, and that is it in a nutshell.
Most of early US music has elements of older British mixed with African and South American rhythyms.
The Brits heard this and that's what the kids of the early 60's wanted to hear. Its been back and forwards ever since.
Music when played by musicians with instruments is what I enjoy most in life, I am sorry to an earlier poster I just
cant get into computer generated music as it has no soul.

link   
Lemmy and Slash are local gods along with robby williams (for the ladies) but generally i'd say each generation influences the next so without the beatles/stones we wouldn't have other bands which would of influenced current bands today

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I am surprised no one from England posted the greatest rock band of all time which is from England.

Shame on you all.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
hard to say I don't think it is really fair to say who is better on what side of the Atlantic .
two of my favorite bands

Also I do love pink floyd

However I lean towards the this side of the Atlantic metal music sounds funny over there

You have to remember that Britain was the birth place of Metal. Birmingham England to be exact.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Thank you Hefficide and the rest of you for saving the thread.

reply to post by Chrysalis

To Chrysalis, Here's a compromise,

One of the best American folk singers, Conor Oberst, dubstepped, with footage of one of the best ever British bands, Joy division ...

Peace.

edit on 22/3/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: What civilization is, is 7 billion people trying to make themselves happy by standing on each other’s shoulders and kicking each other’s teeth in. It’s not a pleasant situation.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
I am surprised no one from England posted the greatest rock band of all time which is from England.

Shame on you all.

I didn't want to put too many on my list (Of course there are 1000's) Here is my fave Floyd track:-

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

so what blues came from southern usa .

doesn't matter where styles come from what matters is how people play the music

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join