It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden: Gabby Giffords 'Was Shot and Mortally Wounded'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

Originally posted by watcher3339

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
That is an rather awkward use of the term "mortally wounded", which is generally associated with death of a victim. However, he's not really misusing the term "mortal wound" at all. A mortal wound is one that threatens life but can be survived with prompt medical attention. It's a wound that threatens the loss of life, not assures the loss of life 100% of the time. So, technically, Giffords WAS mortally wounded and if it hadn't been for medical intervention, then she would have died due to a mortal wound. However, she survived and became simply wounded. Mortal, as an adjective, means liable or subject to death. It's an implication of extreme severity as well. One can hold mortal fear but that doesn't mean that they are going to die from that fear. They are simply extremely afraid.

Gotta love the English language in all its infinite complexities. Totally agree with the prior posters' remarks about Biden's use of clips though. They are magazines--not clips!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It was driving me crazy that nobody seemed to know that. Doesn't anyone read anymore? It's a context issue and the fact that she is alive is exactly how you know that he meant serious or severe.

You're welcome, you're welcome, and you're welcome! I'm just one of those jerks that will actually correct grammatical and spelling errors while playing an online video game. There's a slur for people like me.
People tend to be overly critical of elected officials' word usage and ability to elucidate their meanings. Bush was a huge target for this kind of thing and, as much as I can't stand the guy's positions on ANYTHING, I also recognize that he may very have issues with aphasia as someone who has problems with aphasia (better yet, grammar/english nazi who sometimes can't remember what a book is called--ha!). When you're in the limelight, everything you do is put under a microscope and can be twisted and turned by one's detractors. Bush and Quayle became "idiots" because of their verbal accidents. Same thing technically going on here with Biden.
edit on 21/3/13 by WhiteAlice because: correcting my own grammatical failure--epic.

Notice how all but one ( 2 with me now) even acknowledges your post. It doesn't fit in with the partisan vitriol everyone comes here for. Yes.....she was mortally wounded, but survived.

At another forum I use to frequent, someone made a thread entitled something along the lines of " Common grammer errors that drive you nuts" ......the irony was lost on everyone who replied

edit on 21-3-2013 by Connector because: grammatical errors lol

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I guess anyone could have survived that, its not like taking an almost point blank 9mm to the head is serious enough for people to ask any questions on wtf is going on.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
How has Biden lived this long? 'Cause he's obviously too stupid to even feed himself. This just shows how they try to use emotion instead of facts to make their case.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PLAYERONE01
I guess anyone could have survived that, its not like taking an almost point blank 9mm to the head is serious enough for people to ask any questions on wtf is going on.

the 'shooting' is a proven hoax. look at the photographs of 'giffords' on
the stretcher shortly after the 'shooting'. no blood anywhere. 'nuff said.

all that and more. and biden sure as hell knows it.
Arizona Mass Shooting PSYOP

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
My God Biden!

How did you end up such GOOF?

You just seem to keep shoving your foot into your ignorant mouth.

You are unworthy of your position.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I knew it was an act all along! I always told people during the W years that I didn't buy that he was stupid one bit.

Clever like a fox, yes. Stupid? no. Not coming from that lineage.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I'm with Biden being simple minded wrabbit.Biden is the gaffe master.Remember when he told the guy in the wheelchair to stand up and be recognized

Here is another- "Folks, I can tell you I've known eight presidents, three of them intimately." --Joe Biden, Aug. 22, 2012

"His mom lived in Long Island for ten years or so. God rest her soul. And- although, she's- wait- your mom's still- your mom's still alive. Your dad passed. God bless her soul." --Joe Biden, on the mother of Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen, who is very much alive, Washington, D.C., March 17, 2010

"If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong." --Joe Biden, speaking to members of the House Democratic caucus who were gathered in Williamsburg, Va., for their annual retreat, Feb. 6, 2009

You just gotta love Joe!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was not even aware that Giffords had been shot in the head.
I have seen a couple of head wounds and at the very least, they leave some kind of identifier.
Whether it be a noticeable scar or deformity or a tick or slope to the features of the face.
Giffords still has a perfect face.
Maybe she was barely grazed and the whole circus story was hyped for affect.
I guess Biden was hoping Giffords had been killed, so he and DiFi could press their ban scheme.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
It's amazing what some people say when they are in front of cameras all day long. They sure say some dumb stuff.

But are we any better? I see posts on ATS that say more idiotic things than what Biden said and these people have the time to revise their posts before they submit it.

So you can make fun of Biden, but make sure you never make a mistake either.......otherwise you're a hypocrite.

If or when I become the #2 most powerful man in the Western World, I'll be sure to be a bit more thoughtful in my choice of words and thoughts than he makes a regular habit of being.

Until then, there is about as much comparison here as Apples and Kumquats. They're both edible? However, there ends the similarity. So it holds for comparing the Vice President of the United States complete with his staff and protocol people to support him, no less, with any average American who is NOT held to such a high level.

Just my thoughts on that example.

Do you really want your 9th grade English teacher running the country. Yeah, it's a little embarrassing sometimes when world leaders muck up basic English, but, even when Bush was least favoured and he had trouble stringing a few words together that recognized our language, still kinda like the guy.

A likeable person is a good one when dealing with other nations. Not so much if they are dropping bombs on it, but for the friendly nations I mean.

My 9th grade English teacher? She had excellent grammar, amazing pronunciation and always used the correct syntax when speaking and writing.

You know what though?

The woman was a
, and no one liked her. In fact, should she be running the US of A, I hazard to guess the Japanese would try to invade again simply to stop her from correcting them every time she hears them say, "HaarrrroooooOOO."

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Not intending to defend anyone but to clear something up and to give you guys insight into the terminology. If a person is in an auto accident and at some point during the ordeal the persons heart stops and is not conscious was this person mortally wounded?

If a person is saved using life support systems then the term "mortal" can be used, so looks like this was no faux pas. Frankly i am surprised a politician would use such out of the box thinking.

edit on 22-3-2013 by Malcher because: Cleaning up the paragraphs.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

I was not even aware that Giffords had been shot in the head.
I have seen a couple of head wounds and at the very least, they leave some kind of identifier.
Whether it be a noticeable scar or deformity or a tick or slope to the features of the face.
Giffords still has a perfect face.
Maybe she was barely grazed and the whole circus story was hyped for affect.
I guess Biden was hoping Giffords had been killed, so he and DiFi could press their ban scheme.

maybe she wasn't shot at all and this is another staged psyop?
no blood from the point-blank headshot on either the victim or attendant!

what the hell is wrong with you people. that this is a staged hoaxed non-event
has been proven over and over, and yet, here on the internets top conspiracy
forum, most remain as ignorant over this fact as the common viewer who relies solely on the tv for all news.
just google 'giffords hoax' for gods sake, and catch up!

and you can bet your bottom dollar that bush and biden are
not the complete donkeys they make themselves out to be.
if you think biden doesn't know the score regarding the giffords bs,
then they surely have you where they want you.

it is all theatre.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OutonaLimb

Please tell me you don't take anything on wellaware1 as serious?? I'm quite sure that whoever runs that sight assumes there are around 27 people on the planet Earth. None of the people that they point to are the same. Not one. If you haven't figured out by now that people look the same in one way or another, you probably never will....

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

instead of throwing poo , might i sugest picking up a dictionary ? biden is correct - " mortally wounded " does NOT automatically mean fatally wounded , but it is the most common synonym

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

instead of throwing poo , might i sugest picking up a dictionary ? biden is correct - " mortally wounded " does NOT automatically mean fatally wounded , but it is the most common synonym

"Causing or having caused death"

Do you know what Latin root word "mortal" directly comes from?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
So you can make fun of Biden, but make sure you never make a mistake either.......otherwise you're a hypocrite.

Also you would be a hypocrite if you lied that you graduated upper class from an ivy league school as a lawyer, and the reality was you were from a state school, lower class not a lawyer such as Biden did....

I’ll try and make sure your advice and mine never happen to me for I would just hate to be a hypocrite…

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
HAHA SOMEONE USED A WORD THAT IN MY OPINION SHOULD BE USED DIFFERENTLY LOOK AT ME I AM SMART

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
HAHA SOMEONE USED A WORD THAT IN MY OPINION SHOULD BE USED DIFFERENTLY LOOK AT ME I AM SMART

Is it opinion?
Or, by commonly accepted use of the term 'mortally wounded', was he simply WRONG?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Is it opinion?
Or, by commonly accepted use of the term 'mortally wounded', was he simply WRONG?

A mortal wound is a very severe and serious injury (almost always a form of penetration or laceration) whether accidental or inflicted intentionally (by either suicide or homicide). It can, but does not necessarily, lead to the death of the victim.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-3-2013 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

That would be why I said commonly accepted.

Link to a dictionary

This is the first definition, and is the one used most commonly:

: in a deadly or fatal manner : to death

edit on 22-3-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by TsukiLunar

That would be why I said commonly accepted.

Oh yes, the commonly accepted use. Using it the way Biden did must be so rare that wiki decided to mention his use of the term in the second sentence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join