It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hate threads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Logged n to ATS, and two threads immediately stood apart. Both threads have become magnets for hate, scorn, and vitriol.

I don't come to ATS to read mysoginistic threads about women destroying men. Nor do I want to read threads that lump all men with rapists.

I tried to respond, interject some rationale, but those threads have taken on a life of their own.

I didn't realize ATS allowed such.....hate.

When will people realize that we should treat everyone with RESPECT, regardless of gender, nationality, religion, or creed?

This has upset me greatly. Sorry about that, but I know me enough to realize I need to leave for my own health. Probably going to have flashbacks as. It is, my fault. Should never have clicked on such threads.

In my opinion, these threads do more harm than good. I don't understand why they are allowed to continue.

So I withdraw. Please, my friends. Don't play the hate game. Nothing good comes of it.

Melodramatic rant/

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

i haven't been on all day any clue to the threads in question, i also been thinking people are flying off the handle much faster these days what ever happened to think before you speak

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Respect is earned, never given.

But nitpicking aside, I agree that there is no reason we all can't be polite and civilized human beings.
I also don't think there is anything wrong with some good old fashioned hate, as long as it's used properly and not allowed to cloud your judgement.

For example, if I didn't hate our Govt., I might never have come across ATS.
Hate can be used for productive means.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Hard to be objective, when all you use is the term hate........

An example so that we can compare would be nice.

Some people feel they are a victim of hate just because others disagree with their view or opinion.....

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I don't want to link the threads.

What I'm upset about is how we tend to blame all of a problem on a group of people. "Most men are rapists, therefore all men are capable of rape" or "Some women can be cruel, therefore all women are capable of cruelty."

Blame the individual, not the group. Recognize that individuals are responsible for their own actions, that's all I ask.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying. Those types of threads do breed negativity and we all know that negativity spreads rather easily. Like another poster stated, some peoples defense mechanisms kick in a little too quickly or are easily turned on.
edit on 17-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Let me explain what is happening here. The denial, blame shifting and shaming isn't working on men anymore so now they have to level up and call it hate. Yes the dreaded hate. That is the latest attempt to shut down any discussion less than worshipful towards females. It isn't just ATS, this is across the board on the Internet and outside of it too.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The problem is, the term "hate" is a psychological buzzword which is used on both sides of a discussion/debate/argument. It is ment to stur up an emotional response to discredit the other party. If people are so offended by "hate speech", how do they leave their homes in the morning to face the world. I grew up with having my sensibilities bruised and had to rise above it. This made me a stronger individual and forced me to look at subjects in a more analytical fashion. It's not that I am numb to the plight of other, on the contrary, I look at subjects in a more principled way. I found that if one is "rationally detached" it's less of a hit to ones own ego. That's why we really get upset isn't it? Because our egos get hurt?

So why use "hate speech" at all? I don't see a lot of what is on these boards as hate speech. Like I said, "hate speech" is a psychologically conditioned buzzword. What happens is the offended party is either trying to promote an agenda or ideal in which they can not rationally defend. The immediate emotional response is that the other party is "being a hater" rather than expressing an opinon. It's a way to shut people up. No one wants to be associated as a "hater". Another reason the hate monicor is use is when someone feels they are being backed into a "corner" by an individual or group of. Now if I were in this situation, I would respond with "it's my opinion...that's the way I see things." If I identified an agenda (not promoting discussion, but to troll), I would point out my objections, or identify their ignorance and continue on my way to another thread.

In the end, to intentionally go out to psychologically harm someone or troll is just ignorant. It is, however, ones responsibility to not let the trolling get to you....rationally detach. Or take a break from the boards.
edit on 17-3-2013 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybro
Let me explain what is happening here. The denial, blame shifting and shaming isn't working on men anymore so now they have to level up and call it hate. Yes the dreaded hate. That is the latest attempt to shut down any discussion less than worshipful towards females. It isn't just ATS, this is across the board on the Internet and outside of it too.

No.

You're lumping an entire group of people (women) by stating that denial, blame shifting, etc isn't working on men.

It's taking away individual accountability. Do some women do this? Without a doubt. Do all women do this? Not even close.

I could claim, based on past experiences, that all men care about is sex, and will rape to get it. But that's not true of all men. It's not even true of a majority of men.

Let individuals answer for their actions.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

I understand your comments, and agree that the word hate is often used inappropriately.

But when an entire thread seeks to group all women (or men, or aliens, etc) as evil doers.....well, that's hate, in my opinion.

Changed my mind. Here's the thread.
edit on 17-3-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I agree with smlyeegrl's main thesis, that no one should be lumped into a category. I also agree with the over use of terms, because that is essentially doing the same thing. Some of the over-used words are "racist," "homophobe," "sexist," and "tea bagger." Sometimes I wonder if people actually know what these words mean since they so readily apply them to others.

The problem is that when these words are over-used, they lose their meaning to the point they cannot be taken seriously. You call me a "homophobe" because I don't appreciate having "Gay Rights" forced down my throat? Sorry, but "fear of homosexuals" and "dislike of marginal political tactics" are not equal. You call me a "racist" because I believe in personal responsibility for one's actions? You call me "sexist" because I enjoy beautiful women, including pictures of them? Yet that intro of the Samsung REALLY WAS sexist and should be called for what it is. And as for "tea bagger" look it up. And you call me a homophobe! I don't see how you can use that word and call yourself civilized.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I hate that I don't know what threads you're talking about.

Really hate that!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Just a follow up.
I know I spoke of rational detachment, but I did say what it is or how to use it.
Rational detachment
It is the process of using our rational/logical part of our brains to respond to situation rather than using a purely emotion response. It's not kicking out how you feel, but more so, giving your logical part of the brain time to respond to the situation or comment. It means not being so easily offended that we look for excuses to be upset. It means that even if we are initially offended or angry, we stop ourselves for a second and look at what was actually said or done. It can even mean taking words that are intended to hurt us and rationalizing the sting out of them.

1. Is the comment directed at you or your stance? Ask questions as to why do they believe their comment is true, or how does it effect them.
2. What's your truth. Are you facing the facts? Will the comment change your stance? If neither is true, then the attack is superfical...irrelivant.
3. Why is the comment made?
Because of your political view...
Because of your lifestyle...
Because of your faith or non faith...
Understand that it is the "idea" which is being attacked (or trolled) not you. You are only the target, not the cause.
4. Identify defense mechanisms.
Such as:
Foul language
Sarcasm - mocking ones response
Logical fallicies - strawman, circular reasoning, begging the question, ect...
Emotional baiting - (this is a big one as it produces the best desired results)
Words as weapons - using philisophical, cultural, religious terms in derogatory way to get a response
Personal bias - cultural, ethnic, gender, philisophical, lifestyle, ect...
5. Understand that you can't change the troll. Many seem to do what they do to fuel a twisted form of entertainment.

I will say this again as I believe it is extreamly important to highlight.

Understand that it is the "idea" which is being attacked (or trolled) not you. You are only the target, not the cause.

Well, there's my 2 cents.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Linked in my above reply.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
As always, my friends, you've given me much to ponder and consider about the world in general and myself in particular. Thanks for the advice, insincerely mean that. Enjoy your upcoming week!

Smylee (good humor somewhat restored)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I can understand how your inital reaction could be as it is. It appeared that OP had used the tactics I've already stated...I will add fear in this case. That person either just left a bad relationship and is venting (supposition) which is inappropriate to do with strangers, or there's something pathological going on with them (brief observation). Noticed they used illuminati and reptilian? Those were busswords to elicite an emotional response. My reaction to the OP is that it is highly subjective and the argument is inadiquate. I agree with you, clumping groups because of a bad experience is awful.

Its a troll thread pure and simple. ATS needs to do something about it, up to suspending or banning accounts. I mean they laid the smackdown on the sandy hook threads. We need more actons like that.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I know what you mean, OP. Those types of threads are just bashing threads, offering nothing but company for the equally miserable and upset, as they make blanket statements about the opposite sex which, if examined with a logical mind, are nothing more than barbed insults against real people in the poster's pasts.

It's all just a pity party for the sex that has been wronged. Boo hoo hoo, somebody call the Waaaambulance, some of those threads are just mass casualties of the war of the sexes.

Oh well, I support their right to whine and stereotype, but I certainly won't participate in it.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I don't think the threads you're referring to have become hate threads yet. Well the one of them at least. It just looks like the OPers in those threads were scarred by a person and are lumping the everybody of that specific gender into the same category in order to garnish sympathy and make themselves feel better in hopes other people share their views.. At first I thought they were nothing more than troll threads until I saw a group of people actually agreeing with them which ended up in a discussion. I still think those are troll threads that were posted because I just find it hard to believe that there are people that actually agree with what they said.....

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The thread in question is the guy is picking the wrong women on a subconcious level. He hasn't learned his lesson yet therefore his view on women is schewed. He is partly to blame but he use to be the nice guy but has been trampled on by manipulating women. Now he just has to move past it.Chivalry is dead now feminism killed it. So men can't do right for doing wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hello Smyleegirl and everyone!
It's JUDGEMENT....pure and simple. We are always looking for someone to blame.
When are people going to realize that general statements about entire groups of people....are wrong?
It's not the gender...the race, creed or religion that makes a person an A-hole! It is the individual.
One person does not represent all the others.
We have all been wronged by someONE at some time.
It seems that many people cannot take personal responsibility for their choices. (ie, relationship choices)

I personally HAVE had an extremely abusive relationship, but you don't blame the next one for the last one.
jacygirl

top topics

<<   2 >>

join