It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army suspends tuition assistance program for troops

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
They will cut everything that the common American soldier depends on, but keep everything in place the fat cats want. Like arms contracts, Big Banking and Corporate military protections etc.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
AMERICA needs a CIVIL WAR II
Military/VETS the 7.5% against the 92.5% the Nobodies/Cowards.
Then we TAKE what we DESERVE.

No Income Tax for any VET.

How will we cover this.
We will TAX The RICH At Least TWICE as much.
Those that work in the USA or for a Company doing Business in the USA
will Pay at least Twice the Tax,

I can't believe some of that stuff isn't already happening.
American GOV is Really Soft on their VETS.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaltimoreBob
AMERICA needs a CIVIL WAR II
Military/VETS the 7.5% against the 92.5% the Nobodies/Cowards.
Then we TAKE what we DESERVE.

No Income Tax for any VET.

How will we cover this.
We will TAX The RICH At Least TWICE as much.
Those that work in the USA or for a Company doing Business in the USA
will Pay at least Twice the Tax,

I can't believe some of that stuff isn't already happening.
American GOV is Really Soft on their VETS.

Why should vets get out of taxes? That was never promised to them.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
WWII Vets got this for winning WWII
( WWII was won by Two Atomic Bombs and figthing an IDIOT Leader Hitler )
Tuition Paid at any College Harvard tuition in 1950 was $1,000
Books Paid for
$100 stipend for Living Expenses

This Money was BRIBE paid for by the US GOV
for WWII Vets to look the other way when it came
to AMERICA holding the FAKE WARS of Korea and Vietnam.
Mostly all WWII Vets will Not DIS AMERICA
Because WWII Vets are CRAP
LOSERS

Vietnam was WRONG on every single Level
ALL VETS Deserve the Same Benefits

Harvard Tuition today is $51,000 or more
Why can't the GOV tell Harvard to take in a Specific Number of Vets
and if they don't the GOV shuts them down.
The GOV has the POWER to Do Anything they want to Do.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
Cutting education funding is never a good thing for a nation to do. Sadly, I think axing the Tuition Assistance program is only the first step.

I remember in 2008-2009 when the army lowered its standards to allow felons and retards in. They couldn't get enough warm bodies to send to the sand pit. Nor they're slashing the size of the armed forces, and I think they're gonna do it by attrition. When service members lose the only thing that made the join in the first place (education benefits) we're going to have an awful lot of unhappy troops.

I used the TA program when I was in the Marines and it's really a lifesaver. Shame it's being cut. Now I'm out and in school on the GI Bill. I've got a bad feeling we'll start seeing cuts there too.

"...to allow felons and retards in...."

LOL. Sorry, that just gave me a good chuckle

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
So we have a true incentive for joining the Military all but disappear. And once that happens, the number of warm bodies/targets/fodder begins to decline.

Then?

Well, The US needs bodies/targets/fodder in order to continue their quest for World domination right? So, here comes the draft and/or mandatory service for much less pay and less benefits than there is currently. This also increases the warm bodies/targets/fodder doesn't it?

Anyone else seeing this possible scenario unfolding?

Peace

edit on 9-3-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Keep in mind as well, they have recently opened the entire military to gays and the combat arms to women.

That means if the draft came back up...there is basically nothing one can be but medically/physically handicapped to excuse service by force of law.. Take your rifle or pick your prison cell with no way out. I wonder how that will go over?

You're right too and that's the problem. The cutting of incentives will do what it's logical to see happen. Whatever was being encouraged by inventive will slow. Recruiting in this case...while demands on the military have not reduced much at all in the ground forces. It makes for a bad mix and outcome eventually, indeed.

edit on 9-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptAmerika

Just a thought wouldn't it benefit the country to cut out the free congressional hair cuts and lunch; rather that cut benefits for active duty personal.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Does anyone understand why college costs so much compared to just 15 years ago? The reason is college loans are given out to anyone for ridiculous amounts because their collection is nearly guaranteed since it cannot be charged off in a bankruptcy. This has allowed the colleges to raise the rates obscenely because just like the housing bubble the average American has no desire to look at the future consequences of taking out enormous loans, most just care if they are approved future consequences be damned.

The federal government by passing the bankruptcy exemption has caused it all, because even if Americans were still stupid there would be nobody willing to loan stupid amounts to unqualified borrowers without the exemption. Government interference has as usual screwed up the market. All we have to do to drop college costs is drop that exemption and tuition costs will plummet. It is simple supply and demand.

A much more constructive use of your anger over the military cut on college funding would be to try and get this exemption removed. It would benefit the whole country for generations to come, and many that enter the military to pay for their education would not have to and could work a part time job to fully pay for college like I and many others were able to do.

edit on 9-3-2013 by proximo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by proximo

The reason the bankruptcy exemption makes sense is that credit rating becomes a moot point for the ability to receive a higher education. The trade off is, as you say, it can never EVER be gotten rid of. Literally, into death...as they lay claim to whatever an estate has at the head of the line.

Now I don't see where removing the exemption is at all a good thing. Most "non-traditional" students like myself, who are starting a whole new career in mid-life, aren't doing it by choice. It's come at the end of some hard experiences in the modern times ..which screwed credit pretty good too. I'll bet that's a common story across the nation right now.

The result is that the numbers would come down. but only because enrollment would drop accordingly to the % then blocked out of the opportunity to have that additional education to get a second shot ..... or for younger people, a first shot. We'll definitely disagree on that aspect.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
But Israel still gets their check, huh?

Gotta love this country.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It's been said already, but really what tools do military recruiters have now? The education benefit is/was key to getting new recruits. Is this the GI Bill that's been cut? If not, what's the difference?

Here's the remaining pitches to get new recruits as far as I can remember:

1. Get out of the slum/old nieghborhood and make something of yourself
2. VA benefits, home loan/small business start up money
3. GI Bill

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Well now theres absolutely no reason what so ever to join the army.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

1. Get out of the slum and make something of yourself. Translation: Obey everything you are told and we'll give you a cot and a hot.
2. VA benefits, home loan/small business start up money. How many have succeeded in this?
3. GI Bill

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Gave you a star. I didn't say I agreed with those pitches - and funny enough I nearly wrote "and kill'em all" after I wrote the "travel to exotic places line.

Unemotionally, I'm looking at this from a fulfillment standpoint - military recruitment with positive, measurable gains on the personal level is tantamount to the US maintaining a 100 percent volunteer force. Without these incentives, the US either institutes the draft (again) or follows Switzerland, Israel and whoever else in mandates to service for all 18-year-olds.

And, with the recent inclusion of homosexuals and women (combat roles) in the military - well, that draft is easier to mandate when all the teenagers now qualify.

This cut spells trouble.

edit on 9-3-2013 by Jason88 because: changed word

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
reply to post by jude11

Gave you a star. I didn't say I agreed with those pitches - and funny enough I nearly wrote "and kill'em all" after I wrote the "travel to exotic places line.

Unemotionally, I'm looking at this from a fulfillment standpoint - military recruitment with positive, measurable gains on the personal level is tantamount to the US maintaining a 100 percent volunteer force. Without these incentives, the US either institutes the draft (again) or follows Switzerland, Israel and whoever else in mandates to service for all 18-year-olds.

And, with the recent inclusion of homosexuals and women (combat roles) in the military - well, that draft is easier to mandate when all the teenagers now qualify.

This cut spells trouble.

edit on 9-3-2013 by Jason88 because: changed word

Thanks.

And of course we don't always have to agree but I do believe we are somewhere in the middle and that's enough.

I see this cut as the precursor to the draft being re-instated and/or mandatory service because it's all been planned.

The US wants as many bodies as possible and more and more are not falling for the "RAH-RAH" approach anymore. So what to do?

Cut off the benefits, report through the MSM that the Nation is now in danger because of a dwindling force in numbers. The people fall for it and back a Govt. plan to force kids into service. Now the numbers will far outweigh the previous because everyone is game. Gay, Women and every single kid of age. And even better? It's cheaper!

This is very transparent IMO.

Peace

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The cuts need to be made so the warprofiteers can continue to make obscene profits.

America is in the war business and business is booming.

www.sourcewatch.org...
www.corpwatch.org...

War is a growth industry and has nothing to do with protecting the homeland, patriotism, spreading democracy or serving your country.

Next to be cut will be the VA and health services for vets.

Follow the money....

costofwar.com...
edit on 9-3-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kronar
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

The GI bill covers tuition and fees. I use it every semester.

Tuition assistance only covers tuition

Are you active duty, reserve, or guard? Maybe it's different depending the school as well. It's been over 5 years since I last used the programs, so I could be confusing one or the other. I know I got the tuition assistance from the guard and I had the GI bill and GI bill kicker but slowly all these started covering less and less while at the same time my school was "lowering" tuition to be one of the cheaper tuition schools but the fees just got insane.

I'm taking my capstone which is offered online. Very lucky, but they are still charging me for all the facilities on campus (I live 3-4 hours away) and tons of other fees. My class costs 500 tuition and then 1100 in fees. WTF!?!

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

To be more clear: I am former active duty collecting the full post 9/11 GI bill (full meaning i have served the 36 months active duty required to collect the entire amount the post 9/11 GI bill offers). A service member could also choose to take the old Montgomery GI bill instead if he or she served before 2001. The Montgomery GI bill might or might not be better depending on the cost of tuition or state you are from. ( such as texas which pays your tuition if you were a resident and served 4 yrs active duty). The Montgomery GI bill payed a certain amount each month regardless of the cost of tuition or fees.

In my case I receive (actually my school receives) the cost of tuition and fees. Also I receive a monthly stipend which is the equivalent to BAH for an E-5 based on the area your school is located. The amount is a little more than 900 dollars for the area I live. It does not cover books or if you lived at the school it would not cover boarding except for the stipend.

I am aware the reserves and gaurd have similar programs but i am not familiar with them and could not tell you if they are the same or not.

Yes my fees go up each year also. The last semester my fees were more than seven hundred dollars and I dont go to an expensive school. It doesn't bother me because I don't pay it Uncle sugar pays it. but it would certainly bother me if i did have to pay it.

But, I'm pretty sure the article is only referring to the tuition assistance program they have for active duty, which is totally separate from the GI bill. This pays 100 percent tuition for any classes you take while on active duty without having to use your GI bill. You can use the GI bill while on active duty but its kind of a waste because then you wouldnt receive the monthly stipend but would still use up time. there is alot of little loopholes and catches in using these benefits that will screw you over if you dont know about them. Ive learned about most of them the hard way.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well that is some disgusting BS how they treat the troops but it doesn’t surprise me one bit. The first things that are always cut seem to be benefits to service members including veterans. That is the way it has been in the past.

Having served my country I have seen the needless wastefully spending on the dumbest crap. Every year our unit would do extra training or order extra equipment we didn’t need to spend our budget.

When I was a private I was put on a detail where we buried 20 full mechanic tools chests out in the desert so they could order more. Back then I didn’t have a clue why we were doing it but I wish I could remember where they were buried they were worth a fortune then even. But of course they cut soldiers befits instead of scaling back the useless BS. I remember when I was in an Apache Unit during peace time they live fired Hellfire missiles for training at $40,000 a piece per pilot to burn through the budget. That was with the Clinton Budget so they aren’t fooling me one bit with their woe is me, Look I am poor routine.

There was a novel I read a long time ago called Starship Troopers (nothing like the movie) where the veterans and the military finally get fed up with governmental BS like the crap they are pulling now and establish a new government. To be honest the model society in that novel made a hell of a lot more sense than this one.

Oh and you are right about the CBs and simple type communications we bought our own. To give an example the fuel cost for one three hour training flight could have supplied the entire battalion with communications with plenty left over to spare. If I remember correctly a Blackhawk would go through about 6,000 gallons of fuel in that time. More if they carried fuel pods. Each Pod was an additional 1500 or 2000 I think. I use that as an example because a lot of times officer pilots would schedule extra flight time for themselves cause…..well what the hell it was fun for them. Consider the military skimps on personal body armor for the troops on the ground or had us driving Humvees like they were armored but weren’t, but they will buy billion dollar f-22s that we do not even fly in combat areas.

If I was in charge things would change but it would make too much damn sense for them to do it on their own. It isn’t brain surgery by any means.

Anyway that’s my rant this kind of crap pisses me off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join