It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Nuclear ICBM's On Standby

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

You do understand that this isn't a 2012-2013 thing? North Korea have been in the spotlight for a very long time, likely longer than I have been breathing.

Resolution 825 (1993)
The Security Council adopted a resolution calling upon North Korea to reconsider withdrawing from the Treaty on Non-proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. The resolution urges North Korea to honor its non-proliferation obligations under the Treaty.

Resolution 1540 (2004)
Resolution 1540 affirms that “proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, as well as their means of delivery, constitutes a threat to international peace and security.� The Security Council urges all States to take additional effective measures to prevent proliferation, including nuclear, chemical or biological weapons and their means of delivery.

Resolution 1695 (2006)
In this resolution, the Security Council explicitly condemns the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) nuclear weapons program. While calling for a diplomatic solution to the situation, the Council demands that the DPRK cuts back its missile launches, which jeopardize peace and security in the region. In addition, the 1695 resolution bans all member states from transactions with North Korean involving material, technology or financial resources transfer connected to DPRK's missiles or weapons of mass destruction programs.

Resolution 1718 (2006)
The Security Council, acting under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, unanimously imposed sanctions on North Korea, in reaction of Pyongyang's nuclear test. After arduous negotiations, this softer version establishes an embargo on military and technological materials, as well as luxury goods, but does not include reference to military intervention as the US proposed initially. Furthermore, the resolution demands the freezing of North Korea's financial assets with the exception of funds necessary to meet basic needs.

They have been testing nukes and purchasing them for a while now, they have them for sure.
edit on 8-3-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Keep in mind their device is still some where on the order of this.

That's still a long way from being dropped from a plane, or strapped to a missile, and way too large to be fired from a howitzer

I'm not sure what the North thinks they are doing besides painting a GIANT target on themselves by making claims like this.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Stop worrying about China. China is no threat to the United States and they know it.
edit on 7-3-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Seems like the only threat to the U.S. is our leaders wanting to use drones on it's own citizens.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Yeah.. I knew they were exaggerated, but I really thought they got all electronics that weren't protected and were in the area. I know they don't have the coverage that a lot of people believe and would be more localized and you are right they shouldn't touch missiles unless NK doesn't have any underground and keep them all on launch pads. Most countries keep their nukes pretty deep (at least I thought) so even if they were hit they would have second strike capabilities. I know Israel does. they could be completely flattened and still get second strike.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

See.. I didn't know how far along they were. I imagined the US tests where they put a bomb up on a tower etc (even though I think NK does their underground). Still look how Russia gutted a plane for the tsar bomba.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
This isn't just about NK vs America though..

I normally stay the hell away from these kinda threads but there's a disturbing connection with all this and a few point's well missed.

They don't have to hit Washington to cripple the USA, one well placed missile (out of whatever get's thrown) hit's the San Andreas fault... that'd suck..

Or they hit Australia, Japan and SK in one wave, America's closest "buddies".

I don't think this is just about NK though, more like NK is the bait for something alot bigger, did Russia not warn the US to back off last week in any new conflicts? once again.. if they hit closer to home, then America steps in.. then Russia makes good with it's threat... we all in alota trouble.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by Hijinx

You do understand that this isn't a 2012-2013 thing? North Korea have been in the spotlight for a very long time, likely longer than I have been breathing.

Resolution 825 (1993)
The Security Council adopted a resolution calling upon North Korea to reconsider withdrawing from the Treaty on Non-proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. The resolution urges North Korea to honor its non-proliferation obligations under the Treaty.

Resolution 1540 (2004)
Resolution 1540 affirms that “proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, as well as their means of delivery, constitutes a threat to international peace and security.� The Security Council urges all States to take additional effective measures to prevent proliferation, including nuclear, chemical or biological weapons and their means of delivery.

Resolution 1695 (2006)
In this resolution, the Security Council explicitly condemns the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) nuclear weapons program. While calling for a diplomatic solution to the situation, the Council demands that the DPRK cuts back its missile launches, which jeopardize peace and security in the region. In addition, the 1695 resolution bans all member states from transactions with North Korean involving material, technology or financial resources transfer connected to DPRK's missiles or weapons of mass destruction programs.

Resolution 1718 (2006)
The Security Council, acting under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, unanimously imposed sanctions on North Korea, in reaction of Pyongyang's nuclear test. After arduous negotiations, this softer version establishes an embargo on military and technological materials, as well as luxury goods, but does not include reference to military intervention as the US proposed initially. Furthermore, the resolution demands the freezing of North Korea's financial assets with the exception of funds necessary to meet basic needs.

They have been testing nukes and purchasing them for a while now, they have them for sure.
edit on 8-3-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

Thanks for bringing that up, but not all of those tests were successful Fission detonations, and they were all buried under the ground. Not one test has been done strapped to a missile, or dropped from a plane. I'm not impressed with NK's insolence.

How ever it's most recent test is the first that's been considered an absolute success by all the nations monitoring it, even still the yield varies depending on the source you look at, anywhere from 4-10kt.(smaller than the bombs dropped on japan). This is a huge leap in their efforts, but it as still not a bomb that can be dropped from a plane, nor is it a warhead for a missile who's yield is larger than it's overall weight.

North Korea has yet to test a successful " ICBM" although their most recent satellite launch is a considerable step towards this, they do not possess the technology or means to pose a threat outside of their local.

I am not one to back underestimating foes, but it's an enormous leap from a subterranean device to a viable warhead and working ICBM platform to deliver it. I don't buy their claims for one second.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
why do the idiots that run their country act this way?
while their people starve they want to threaten the world?
by god, they want to threaten the U.S?

It's a death wish i don't get them at all

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
For a long time the only country with nukes that has ever truly concerned me was Pakistan. I mean they deliver them in unprotected vans and drive them around town. Plus I don't trust them at ALL. I sincerely think NK could buy a nuke if they wanted and it's very possible they have done so. That would be a surprise. If they were dead serious and we were calling their bluff when they were prepping bought technology.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

They do it for one reason. Ever read the Mouse that Roared?
Basically they make threats and push it and hope that aid is offered in exchange for them to back down.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

They do it for one reason. Ever read the Mouse that Roared?
Basically they make threats and push it and hope that aid is offered in exchange for them to back down.

Edit: at least that's what daddy kim was about.. they do seem to be becoming more belligerent.
edit on 8-3-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yeah, and that's still the largest device ever detonated on the surface of Earth, and the Tsar bomba was long into the soviet Nuclear experiments. That device was dropped by plane due to it's enormous size.

The first soviet nuclear test RDS-1 was carried out August 29th 1949, the Tsar Bomba was dropped on Oct 30th 1961 12 years after their first test. North Korea has only been at this a few years.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

hey don't have ICBMs capable of carrying a nuclear device. Bluffing, and wanting an immediate ass kicking by the looks of it.

we (ordinary people) have no idea what they have or don't have. i find it highly suspicious that their missile test earlier exploded, and it isn't unfeasible to think that we took it out with a laser.

furthermore, their aggressive rhetoric is extreme, even for north korea. usually they leave themselves a way out, but "we're going to nuke you" doesn't have many loopholes.

i think they're being supplied by either russia or china on the condition that they stir up trouble.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9

Originally posted by jude11
So many answers.

So many "I know everything", so many "let's nuke 'em", so many "They will be destroyed"...and so many "We will destroy them in seconds".

And yet...

Has anyone actually been there? Does anyone actually know their capabilities apart from what they've read in the MSM? Does anyone really know anything but hearsay and a few snippets from war monger blogs?

Too many people playing video games and because they win, they know all.

Does anyone actually believe that China will allow NK to be destroyed and occupied by the US right on China's border? And then what? "China is weak and cannot stand to a US invasion, occupation or...if we want to, we can stand right on the Chinese border."

Really?

Peace

Exactly.
Just a simple EMP would put the U.S to it' knees.

Certitude .. so funny.
To many Hollywood movies probably.

Anyway, war isn't funny for anyone, certainly not when we're talking nuclear war.

Meh

China is far more vulnerable to emp than we are, the reality is we have 2 coasts that are industrialized and a ton in the midwest, 90% of chinas tech is in one area along the coast a singular EMP would be worse for them economically and we can launch a lot more

Not that any modern nation would fare well if even ONE went off

But be aware

we have all the food in the world

and are the worlds leading supplier of oil

when the computers go down and the infra structure is screwed and Boats can't travel and planes can't fly.....

Americans CAN EAT and HAVE OIL to make crummy older boats run... and power industry.....

China would be far more mated with than us

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Well they are close.. the Taepodong 2 did fly somewhere between 5000 and 10000 km. So if it wasn't really about a satellite and they can put it where they want.. it's possible they have the tech. Especially if they are trading systems and bringing in other countries scientists.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I have to go to bed now, I'll come back tomorrow and continue my belligerent rantings.

I really don't think NK is in a position to do what they claim, even if they did some how manage to drop, launch something I'm not sure it's gonna be "huge."

Data is hard to come by on exact specifics of their program but the device they tested most recently was smaller than both the Japanese bombings, and it was a stationary underground device. I just don't see it, I'm not saying I'm 100% right in saying they can not, because nothing is impossible. It's just an enormous leap for them, in a very short time to claim they went from Trinity style nuclear device to a modern warhead. It isn't that easy.

It took the rest of the world many years to get that far, and they weren't under extreme sanctions while doing so.

To all those involved, Buzz around online for sources and evidence, have fun with the discussion.

I really think this is Propaganda. Either North korea themselves, or perhaps a little buttering up by someone else.

Happy hatting.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
High time the UN convened in emergency session and send in UN troops to North Korea. I think the Chinese would go along with the notion of UN troops on the ground. Oh and calling Kimmy to a mandatory meeting at the UN and sent to the Headmaster's office!

Worrying times indeed. I think China will be extremely angry with North Korea and it seems they have lost political clout with North Korea since they so immaturely tore up all the treaties with South Korea.

What's the solution? I honestly dont know. Send a UN delegation to the North Korean capital and tell them enough is enough. However i think the regieme is crazy enough to ignore all opportunities to talk and actually go to war. Suicidal really. But sometimes war is justified and i think on this occasion even China and Russia realises this one would be justified. Some regiemes are just too far gone to be saved even by their only allies.

link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Yeah, i mean I know they aren't capable of building a bomb like that, but if they could modify a plane like Russia did for that bomb than they might be able to drop one of their ugly low yield monstrosities in the same fashion. It wouldn't be efficient or practical and probably be shot out of the sky.. but it's possible.

link   
reply to post by milkyway12

What exactly do you think China and North Korea has that we don't, 10 fold?

A complete and cynical disregard for human life, including their own cannon fodder soldiers?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
it's a non event.

Even if they were to launch a nuke, they'd probably nuke some country.
just not the one that they wanted to nuke.

They have had a habit of making rockets travel in uncontrollable fashion and then spill their guts before boom time.

However if they were lucky enough to actually launch a nuke at some American owned soil (say Hawaii) that would shock more than actually launching an attack at the USA.

People (on here and else where) seem to assume an attack at America means the American continent.
That may not be the case.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join