It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does this tree branch appear behind the Moon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I know there's a logical explanation for this but I lack the scientific or technical background to offer it up!

I totally believe this was filmed. It's not a hoax. It's not someone who stuck a cut-out circle on their lens. And I don't believe it's the old 'holographic Moon' theory either.

If you look real closely, you can see the branch very faintly behind the Moon when it seemingly disappears. So this is some optical illusion I think only, like I said, I don't have a full understanding how this happens.

Anyone?

Published on Feb 24, 2013

Flmed on Feb 24th Auckland,. Why do these leaves appear behind the moon? there has been no altering of the video. This was taken straight from my camera chip. Filmed through a Canon camera, on tripod..... As I say, I'm no physicist... so what is the science behind this?.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Interesting, at the 1:30 to about 1:38 mark you can see the leaf in question semi-transparently in front of the moon.

Given one leaf shows up in front, and although it appears evening time, I would say it has something to do with shadowing and light.

What did the photographer see regarding this phenomena when he was not looking through the lens I wonder?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

With control of the aperture (used to be known as "f-stop"), you can minimize overexposure from bright objects.

If you don't compensate for brightness in an extended exposure, you can get all kind of neat, unwanted results.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

LOL Why would you post this and risk your credibility? That moon is a bright light shining on a window. Check out all of his/her other videos on youtube.
edit on 2/24/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

This happens all the time in videos, it's because your camera is focused on the moon and not the tree, The light is also coming from the moon so it has a tendency to bend around the leaves so to speak. I believe that if your camera is focused on the leaves this wouldn't happen.

It also tends to happen even with our eyes when there is a light source that is behind and beside the object in question

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It's because the light from the moon is whiting out the unfocused, small leaves.
It's just like any video camera will do without a really good white balance. Point a video camera toward any light source and this can happen. Really standard stuff.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You might say the moon is "interleaved" in this video.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Oh my, why would you post such a lame video, have you seen the other videos this clown has produced.....if i was you id apologise and beg ats for forgivness

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quauhtli

This happens all the time in videos, it's because your camera is focused on the moon and not the tree, The light is also coming from the moon so it has a tendency to bend around the leaves so to speak. I believe that if your camera is focused on the leaves this wouldn't happen.

It also tends to happen even with our eyes when there is a light source that is behind and beside the object in question

Yes I know that but what is the actual effect called? Do you know? Thanks!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by felixjames20

Oh my, why would you post such a lame video, have you seen the other videos this clown has produced.....if i was you id apologise and beg ats for forgivness

Why is this lame? Consider this an educational thread. I did not say it was 'paranormal' or anything like that. It's an optical effect that I would like to know, its cause and name. Read my OP better!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
It's because the light from the moon is whiting out the unfocused, small leaves.
It's just like any video camera will do without a really good white balance. Point a video camera toward any light source and this can happen. Really standard stuff.

That's what I felt too. But again, wasn't sure the technical term. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

LOL Why would you post this and risk your credibility? That moon is a bright light shining on a window. Check out all of his/her other videos on youtube.

Because I wanted to know how this happens. I know there was a technical explanation. I just didn't know what it was called or exactly, how it happens.

I don't care about his other videos. I wanted to know the cause and effect of this particular one.
You have a problem with that? Why?

If there was a 'camera' forum I would've stuck this in there but...........

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I think this article explains it a bit or, rather, it's explaining a similar enough phenomenon where an " image of the bright light appears to bleed beyond its natural borders"
If I come across a better explanation, or more specific term for this optical phenomenon, then I'll reply back, but personally I've always just referred to it as "bleed through".

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 24-2-2013 by bhornbuckle75 because: Whoops forgot to post the link

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by jiggerj

Because I wanted to know how this happens. I know there was a technical explanation. I just didn't know what it was called or exactly, how it happens.

I don't care about his other videos. I wanted to know the cause and effect of this particular one.
You have a problem with that? Why?

If there was a 'camera' forum I would've stuck this in there but...........

I don't have a problem with it. It felt like you were falling for some hoax miracle event that was so obvious even to me.

You did write:

It's not a hoax.

Umm, yeah, it is.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by felixjames20

Why is this lame? Consider this an educational thread. I did not say it was 'paranormal' or anything like that. It's an optical effect that I would like to know, its cause and name. Read my OP better!

If you dont know why putting this up and claiming it not to be a hoax is lame then you are lost - try and learn from this and move on

top topics

join