It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear British Prime Minister, Can We Get Our Guns Back, PLEASE??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Na I know dude, and to be honest I'm pretty much out of these threads too.
But I just hate this kind of pandering to the frothing-at-the-mouth gun mob.... really pisses me off.

You get posts like the one below yours (resist treason) "well done for breaking free from the brainwashing" and all this kinda crap.

Just pisses me off

Yeah.... because we're brainwashed!!

We're not out there every day shooting each other up, paranoid and deluded about a government who are on the brink of kicking down our doors and taking us away somewhere, using our tragedies and school shootings to boost sales of more guns so more people can die and just generally not giving a **** about anyone or anything so long as we have our guns.

NO.... we're not doing that.

And that's why we don't want guns in the manner that the US has them.

Because it's sad, pathetic and leads to no end of tragedies and violence.
edit on 20/2/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
yep they take hours and i mean hours now my other half could of gone and removed him from my property but then he would have an assault charge . i used to live near the city police response was fast now im in the countryside its no use they same they have low crime here i beg to differ i think the case is simply people don't report it as they know its a waste of time

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by leopardpimps

If he had gained access to your home and became violent, you are (now) within your rights to use reasonable force to restrain him, that includes picking up a heavy object and knocking him out.

It only becomes assault if you continue to attack him once he is no longer a threat.
edit on 20/2/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
To the OP

Love to know your sources, but the fact of the matter is that the US is a more violent country as somewhat more people are murdered than in the UK by quite a long way.

It's all in the statistics, the interpretation of the said and what you are trying to prove. Crime statistics, what’s collected and how, all lead to huge variations between countries and allow anyone to prove anything.

It is well recognised that homicide rates are really the only reliable crime statistic. If it’s higher then it means the place is more violent. Why is that so hard to accept for some people?

In addition, it is a myth that in the UK guns are not in circulation. People have guns, legally.

Regards

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ResistTreason

if you want armed guards in schools i'd pay you not to move here, seriously.

and please stop frothing at the mouth when talking about guns and making stuff up about bad guys being protected and good guys getting punished, it's just not cricket

edit on 20-2-2013 by skalla because: i extra DIV

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The UK can already own hunting rifles, what more do you need??

I don't want to allow guns in the UK, but I do want the for the Americans to still be allowed them..

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

If you own and carry a gun... you are MORE likely to be killed or injured by a gun

Sure, that's probably true but then again, not everyone goes through life sucking their thumb and wetting their knickers at the thought of possible trouble.

I don't know how you guys do it over in the UK and to be honest, I don't really care. That's your business but when you start insulting rational, law abiding citizens over here in the US and start name calling....... gun nuts, morons, etc is where I take exception.

The cold hard facts are this, you can spout off whatever liberal polices you believe in personally and that's fine but when the day comes that the average british citizen is at home, unarmed and is faced with a home invasion by 2 armed men, that citizen is not going to be able to fight them off with a pair of scissors or a fireplace poker, most likely, that leaves you and your family to experience whatever horror the intruders have planned.

The police show up AFTER the fact, not before and maybe you deject reality and would rather believe we live in some sort of Utopian world where there are no bad, evil men and there is no crime but I live here on Earth where that Sh#$ happens all the time, the worlds a messed up place and people do some sick and twisted things, I'd rather be prepared and able to defend my home, my family and my life than be another faceless victim or statistic.

Now, you go ahead and do what you see best for you but for me and mine over here in America, we are doing just fine. You see, we fought and bled to remove ourselves from the crown that you still serve to create a more perfect union, one that understands that freedom, liberty and the ability to make responsible choices for ourselves is not only a good idea, it is our right. Freedom comes at a cost because nothing in life is free and sometimes it can be a terrible price but for the greater good of our Country and the one we will leave for our children, there is no better reward or legacy than that of freedom.

God bless America and God bless the second amendment.

Piers......... I's that you?
edit on 20-2-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Dude, I can understand your objections and I can understand the objections of others, I am talking about something hypothetical.

I asked myself the question though, if a guy breaks into my home do i feel safer with a gun or not, the answerer is i feel safer with a gun.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
All political power is inherent with the individual and is derived from that individual. That is the bases of Classical-American politics (sad I have to call it classical) and isn't confined to just the United States. If the People of Great Britain want to reinstate their right to bear arms, they need to rescind the political power they abdicated to the Government. Sounds easy but we all know its not. Even here, over the pond, People willfully abdicate their political power and then look to the Government to provide what they themselves can.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

How many Reeva Steenkamp's would there be in the UK?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Well deaths caused by guns have remained relatively stable since they banned hand guns yet violent crime is still high, although i do believe it has been slowly dropping. So not many, in the same situation in the UK he would have used a knife if he wanted to kill her

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

flippin stacks imo, we're a pretty fiesty bunch all things considered, and we have more than our fair share of idiots and drunks too. i'd much rather get a good kicking than be shot. keep guns in the ranges and the country if you ask me

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Do you honestly believe that?

reply to post by skalla

It's pretty obvious and straight forward really isn't it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Yes i do, if he wanted to kill her so much that he was prepared to shoot her then he would just as willingly stab her until she stopped breathing.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I must say I totally disagree with you on this, im from the UK, Tomorrow I could apply for a gun licence for a small fee and signing up to my local gun club with of course no criminal history. I would need 2 references which would obviously be easy. I could keep this gun in a locked cabinet in my house. I may well be applying for a gun license in the near future but only because I used too shoot at school (at a shooting range!) not for safety. If the time came where I needed to use it for defence I would.

I however think its a totally different story in America. All the hype about it and knowing everyone else seems too have one would alone make me feel the need to go out and buy one.
edit on 20-2-2013 by HTUKno1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

But the majority of domestic killings are spontaneous killings - I suspect these would become more frequent given the very nature of guns.
As would the number of accidental deaths.

I could go on but no doubt you've heard all the arguements before.

Simply put deaths would increase - not exactly the sign of a progressive, caring society is it?

Surely we'd be better served trying to redress some of society's inequalities and ill's and thus reduce the need or desire, be they real or imaginary, to own a gun for self-defence?

The UK currently has one of the lowest recorded instances of gun related crime - why would we want this to increase?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

he was in my garden banging on my windows. he also peed on the path . it was very strange!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Im british and i dont really see a need to own a gun i have a family and 2 children and i feel confident that i can defend my family without one. Personally owning a gun would make me feel weak, having to rely on an object to protect myself dont make much sense to me, im sure there are other British members here who understand what im trying to say.
It seems like alot of Americans on here think we should follow suit and have weapons in our households but i disagree im proud on the fact that we are not like the US when it comes to guns, and yes i have had to defend myself before quite a few times and never needed to use a weapon and im proud of it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lancepk

i am not backing Americans what so ever i live in a rural area which is not so secure and after what happened to me i feel security is an issue people can do what the hell they want up here with no consequence this bothers me. i merely want to protect my children and feel safe from idiots

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by leopardpimps

I understand what your saying about protecting your family but i dont see owning a gun is the awnser and having children around guns dont seem right to me.
When you said "if i had a gun i can guarantee he would of been gone a.s.a.p". thats seems bit extreme just over some drunk guy in your garden thats just not the way we deal with things in this country. Dont take my post the wrong way its just my opinion you know everybody is different its just the way i feel.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join