It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear British Prime Minister, Can We Get Our Guns Back, PLEASE??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lancepk

i would not of shot him i would have had it to simply warn him off. maybe then i would not have been watching this guy hang round my garden staring in the windows scaring me. there is pretty much no police where i live its silly.

a few months ago a lady had her car petrol bombed and her other car set alight all the neighbors had to help put them out where was the police and fire brigade i ask you?

i get your point i really do but as it is like suburbia round here more and more i am seeing people commit crimes and get away with it. this makes me feel unsafe in my own home. i would never shoot anyone but would feel safer having some form of defense .

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by leopardpimps

When you used the word "gone" i presumed you meant dead lol sorry. Police response times do lack in some areas of the country i agree and it seems like nowhere is crime free any more even in rural areas, my grandparents always say to me they used to leave there doors unlocked back in there day which seems hard to believe nowadays.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lancepk

yeh as for the gun been around my children they would never even know i owned one i would never even dream of leaving painkillers lying about let alone a gun. my children do not enter my bedroom as it is respect of my privacy same as i do not enter there's and root about. we have a very good understanding of each other also something like that would be kept in a safe out of their way.

i would never risk my kids life my job is to protect them. not put them at risk

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
rambo would be proud of the toys i keep in my pram do i have a permit no.

slightest bit off trouble with the law and they take it away but a good stun gun is a must for drunken idiots here in the uk .
you can even order them of the internet
with a pre-paid credit card

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Some on ATS may know that I am a recent convert to the “pro-gun” crowd mostly because I have been convinced that there is a direct coloration between gun ownership and lower incidents of violent crime mostly thanks to ATS. When comparing the violent crime rates of America with the UK the statistics all appear to show that America has less violent crime than the UK, these statistics I have found vary depending on the source.

edit on 20-2-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

I haven't seen any violent crime statistic's that prove Americas has less violent crime than the UK...regardless of the source. Are you talking about violent crime by type or overall violent crime? I ask because overall violent crime statistic's cannot be compared between the two countries. Although I do know if we start talking about homicide's then the UK come's better off by a mile!

As for violent crime in England and Wale's...it as actually reduced by 47% since 1995/1996. I don't know where you get your information from??
edit on 20-2-2013 by Logos23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by leopardpimps i just want to defend my house not attend a gun club lol!

Jumping in with no prior experience joining a club might not be a bad way to learn the best safety practices.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Can we have our guns back?
One thing i have found out in life is,

"You only need permission if you seek permission."

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by leopardpimps
reply to post by lancepk

yeh as for the gun been around my children they would never even know i owned one i would never even dream of leaving painkillers lying about let alone a gun. my children do not enter my bedroom as it is respect of my privacy same as i do not enter there's and root about. we have a very good understanding of each other also something like that would be kept in a safe out of their way.

i would never risk my kids life my job is to protect them. not put them at risk

So in a worst case you are watching tv with your kids some thug breaks into your house waving his gun around gonna burglarize you or something .

What are you going to do .. run to your bedroom ( or where ever other people have them locked up and hopefully in many cases also have a trigger lock on said gun in a house with children ) then to find the bullets and load the weapon and what leave your family there high and dry till one finishes fumbling around with their fire arms .

sorry but the slaughter would already over and the home owner and family still gained nothing in the situation .

I really do fail to see the logic of people who make these kind of statements . ETA . then said thug steals your guns then there is yet another gun in the hands of people who have little regard for life
edit on 20/2/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

errr why?

To see you make a U-turn to pro-gun. Sorry, I was just shocked...

ETA: I starred and flagged you for this btw as I'm in agreement. I know how easy it is to get an illegal handgun (which I would never do) and as I and many others have said, the only civilians who have handguns in this country now are criminals. I wouldn't even necessarily want a sidearm but I think it's wrong that law abiding citizens don't have the option.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I just want to tell you, you sir are now my favorite brit...
Welcome to the dark side
edit on 20-2-2013 by LoverBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I know how easy it is to get an illegal handgun (which I would never do) and as I and many others have said, the only civilians who have handguns in this country now are criminals.

Of course it's reasonably easy for many people to obtain illegal handguns - but the vast majority of us choose not to, regardless of whether we are criminals or law abiding citizens - how many burglars go about their business carrying guns?, very, very few.
The few instances where guns are used in crimes tend to become national news and can give a somewhat slanted perspective.

The fact remains that the UK has one of the lowest rates of gun related deaths in the world, (by far the majority of those deaths are suicides!), why would anyone want to alter a policy that obviously works?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
A simple thought would be at the old firm derby of celtic and rangers with guns...it would be a bloodbath twice a year and never mind all the other football rivalries that suddenly would end up going deadly as theres no way to police events where theres probably 20,000 - 70,000 people at each match.

It's a nice idea but theres a few cultural things that would need fixing before i'd want to start handing out guns like candy

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by leopardpimps
reply to post by lancepk

i would never shoot anyone but would feel safer having some form of defense .

then with respect it's daft to have a gun for self defence if you feel you would not use it.

logically what would happen? it may get taken off you by someone you are trying to scare, not good obviously.
or it can just aggravate a situation beyond all reason... i dont think a drunken idiot really needs to have his life threatened personally (and that is ofc the aim of pointing a gun at someone).

get a powerful torch and a loud dog with scary teeth, you wont end up killing fred from down the local village after he's had a few ales too many then.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Can I please have the right to defend myself back.
Gotta love progressives. If you are a liberal in America take a good hard look. People are begging to have the right to defend themselves back.

What will you crazy progressives want back next.......maybe a little humility would do the trick. Or maybe a principle you actually stand behind for the long run.
edit on 21-2-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Of course we cant have our Guns back! That would give us power against the totalitarian ollogarts aka Illuminati scum in control of this once mighty nation!

Guns back! You cant even enjoy a cold beer in the park on a sunny day without Police scum issuing you an on the spot fine, maybe even arresting you!

Freedom is a thing of the past in the UK, Little by little they are taking away our human rights!

Sad thing is most of us thank them for it under illusion that " They" are keeping us safe!

edit on 21-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

A simple thought would be at the old firm derby of celtic and rangers with guns...

that never happened when the hand guns were leagal and would be no different if they became llegal again.

Also have you ever been to a old firm derby, they are not really that bad.

and thanks to Rangers there isnt going to be one really for a few years

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Can I please have the right to defend myself back.

The vast majority of people in the UK are quite happy with our gun control laws and do not wish for any relaxation of them.
It's got nothing to do with 'defending' ourselves and everything to do with not killing each other.

reply to post by andy06shake

Freedom is a thing of the past in the UK, Little by little they are taking away our human rights!

And when were we 'free' in the past? - I think it's a bit of a misconception that we had more civil liberites in the past - it was only after the sacrifices made relatively recently in WWI and WWII that we really gained any rights - and I agree that every government since Thatcher, possibly even Heath, have been slowly chipping away at these rights, (and I suspect Cameron wants to totally eradicate them and take us back to Victorian times during his term of office).

But I don't see how relaxing gun control laws that the majority agree with would increase our 'human rights'.

As for drinking in the park - yeah I agree with you - if only it wasn't for all the piss heads and bag heads who ruin it for everyone by getting too pissed etc and annoying and pestering other people.

Yet another case of the majority suffering due to the actions of the minority.

that never happened when the hand guns were leagal

It's never been legal for all and sundry to wander around wearing and shooting guns willy nilly - there has always been a certain amount of gun control, these rules were tightened after Dunblane - it wasn't like The Wild West before then you know!
The fact that there hasn't been a similar occurrence at a UK school since and that shooting related instances have gone down since the introduction of this legislation suggests that it has been successful.

Again I ask, as the UK has one of the lowest cases of gun related deaths in the whole world why would anyone want to see a relaxation of current legislation?

Also have you ever been to a old firm derby, they are not really that bad.

Yes I have, several in fact.

edit on 21/2/13 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I'm still sitting here laughing over the fact everyone on here feels the need to make a thread ABOUT A REQUEST..Instead of..say...writing to the prime minister or your local MP's.

Do you really presume he passes by this web page?

No wonder its all talk and no walk.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
in a perfect world we would not need guns, but history has proven time and time again that power is corrupt, the second amendment is to protect us from criminals and corrupt Government, in a society where both and so clearly present, now is not the time to give them up.

Im in the UK I hate the fact that I do not have the right to choose, the average response time from the police is between 4-45 mins, enough time for a criminal (with a gun) to kill you and you family and get away. it is not police responsibility to sort out society it is up to us all,

they just want us dependent on government and made to feel like we need looking after. they do not want us knowing the truth, and that is we can look after ourselves. click my signature for more on gun control and why we should have the right to choose.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AprenticeofLight

........enough time for a criminal (with a gun) to kill you and you family and get away. it is not police responsibility to sort out society it is up to us all,

But how many criminals carry a gun let alone use one when burgling a house etc here in the UK? - very, very few - and far, far less than those that do in countries with different gun control laws to our's - have you never asked yourself why that is and why far fewer people die, or are victims, of gun related incidents here in the UK than almost anywhere else in the whole world?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join