It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart - "February Sales are a Total Disaster"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Good for you. I too am proud to say that I am doing what I can to help drive Wal-Mart's sales in that direction. Do some research and you can find most everything for same or less elsewhere. A lot of other places will price match them too.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

maybe when all these big box stores shut down we can eventually get back to the mom and pop stores in our neighborhoods

If that day ever comes then we’ll all go broke.

Companies with greater buying power can offer customers better value. Wal-Mart haters simply don’t comprehend that fact.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

As Walmart goes ... so goes America ...

Yes, this is definitely a sign of things to come. We just had a WebEx this week at work about the ramifications of Obamacare. It’s not looking good. All the oblivious people championing this monstrous pile of garbage fail to realize that the costs associated with it will be passed along to the consumer and the employees. Couple Obamacare with the proposed $9 minimum wage and you have a recipe for disaster IMO.

Be prepared to see lower wages for anyone making over $9 currently and higher prices on everything you buy!

Thanks OBAMA!!

This isn't fearmongering...this is reality. Just wait and see.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
Just a random question, how do U.S wages generaly adjust for inflation?

What will be your increase in wages this year?

Generaly in the UK wages increase around 2% yearly to adjust for inflation, however inflation is really 3 to 3.5% lol.

So we always earn less than the cost of living.

And ultimatly, thats why we are struggling, the governments low interest on lending and tax cuts should easily offset any difference for employers to raise wages to cover more than cover the cost of inflation, but they dont. I do not understand why, they just dont.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

Cost of living wage increases? Honestly forgot about such a thing. Worked in the Union many years ago where workers were given yearly cost of living raises. But Unions have become scarce since then.

The only options for that in America is a Union job or... becoming a politician.

Thats your only option in America to see cost of living raises.

Must be nice to get such a thing.
edit on 16-2-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
I have a feeling its going to get worse before it gets better.

But that's what these guys voted for so I have little sympathy. At least the welfare checks are still rolling out.

All part of the liberals plan to create a permanent welfare voting bloc.

maybe if corporations and businesses paid people better, there wouldn't be so many people on welfare....nah.....too logical for this site......gotta blame liberal gov'mnt

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'll care about Wal-Mart when most of their employees no longer qualify for medicaid and foodstamps due to systemically low wages.

Wal Mart is only in business, because they are subsidized by government programs to bring their employees to parity. They would fold over night if they had to actually pay their own bills.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Seems a research firm had already forecast a negative first quarter for walmart before this memo was leaked. Even mentioned the same reasons that walmart stated.

In other words, they expect Wal-Mart's sales to stagnate in the first quarter. The reason why, according to Cleveland Research (emphasis added): "A pullback in consumer spending related to 1) payroll/social security tax increase, 2) delayed tax returns, and 3) rising gas prices." Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
And you don't think it's possible that Wal Mart may need a convenient scape goat?

Sure, it's possible.
But it's more probable that it has everything to do with forces outside of Walmart.
Like I said, nothing at Walmart has changed.
But the economy, and payroll tax increases, HAVE changed.

I don't know anyone IRL who shops at Wal Mart unless it's a last resort.

To the best of my knowledge, you aren't in the economic bracket that usually shops there.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ResistTreason

Pretty grim, then to be honest its pretty obvious why America is doing so badly with poverty, if peoples wages do not increase to match inflation your screwed, every year you become poorer as your wages can buy less and less.

Well the majority of companies here in the UK do that as a rule of thumb, otherwise heavily unionised company strike.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I am a real live person and i shop at wal mart all the time. however, i wont be getting any raise this year (cost of living or otherwise) for the 5th year in a row. My check and my husband's check each went down over $25 each per pay period. Gas is back up to $3.50 and rising. We are using our tax refund (and most of our savings) to take the kids on a once in their childhood trip to disney while it is still possible. Even still we will be gypsy tripping, no souveniers, no in park purchases. Tailgate picnic, our lodging is an 80% off last minute cancellation. Other than park tickets, parking and gas no one will be profiting off of us. We are biting the bullet and doing it because who knows if there will be a refund next year, gas and food will only be higher and these days sometimes you just need a boost. We have been putting it off thinking things will get better, but i am now wondering if that will happen while my kids are still home.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by americanwoman

That pretty much sums up what most of us are experiencing. The middle class is dying out….BY DESIGN! Soon there will only be the rich and poor. I’m confident we ALL know which category we will soon find ourselves in if things don’t change soon.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I refuse to shop at Walmart until they start giving their employees on the floor the same benefits the suits in the offices receive. Double standard elitism....

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Looks like January wasn't a good month either.

For Wal-Mart, January was a month to forget as well, Bloomberg said. "Have you ever had one of those weeks where your best-prepared plans weren’t good enough to accomplish everything you set out to do?" Cameron Geiger, senior vice president of Wal-Mart U.S. Replenishment, asked in a Feb. 1 email to other executives. "Well, we just had one of those weeks here at Walmart U.S. Where are all the customers? And where’s their money?"

A Wal-Mart spokesman would not comment on the emails except to say, "As with any organization, we often see internal communications that are not entirely accurate, that lack the proper context and represent individual opinions.” David Tovar noted the company will report fiscal-fourth quarter results before Thursday open

money.msn.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I refuse to shop at Walmart until they start giving their employees on the floor the same benefits the suits in the offices receive. Double standard elitism....

You’re missing the point! That’s exactly the kind of redistributive BS that is going to cost a lot of people their jobs and cause prices to “necessarily skyrocket” in the near future.

Don’t you get it? The economic systems that are designed to make things “equal” for everyone create an environment where everyone is in an equal state of MISERY!!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Sad day when an ATSer uses walmart as a defense.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Sad day when an ATSer uses walmart as a defense.

As a defense for what exactly?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It boils down to one simple fact. Every time the government tries to help the people, they hurt the people. They simply have no concept of unintended consequences. They can't see past their noses.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Are you actually promoting classism in the US? It is about time it is done away with.

Walmart made 405 billion dollars last year, trust me, they can afford to pay employees.

Instead they pay employees sub par wages, no benefits, and force the states to pick up the benefits so YOU are paying for people on welfare to keep their jobs.

Then in order to make more money, they force their manufacturers jobs overseas, since they come in and take over a community and make themselves sole provider, they force the manufacturers to charge less and less, than tthe manufacturers ever wanted to lower it. So they have no choice but to send their manufacturing to ASIA, who gets the jobs.

All while racking in 400 billion pure profit.

How about Americans pay a little more, instead of expecting coffee makers for 10 bucks made from god knows what and lead painted toys, we do with less walmarts, and mom and pop can come back and make a decent living.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh, Walmart.

I'd like to know exactly how they determined that the reasons for the sales were because of Obamacare and such.

I mean, many people are still paying off Christmas debt for one thing, plus the price of gas, etc. But yeah, blame it on Obamacare, WM execs. Purchases are oftentimes less the few months after Christmas, especially from lower income folks..

Of course, maybe if WM took customer service seriously they might not lose so much money. I decided last year to stop shopping there, because the two closest stores keep pissing me off. The first one kept changing its stock so much that the majority of the things i needed and used to buy there, they don't even carry any more! The other store is a mess of inefficiency. Only two express lanes, which generally have 12-15 people on them and a 15-20 minutes checkout time, many of those people with carts full of items over the limit, and no self check out.

Think Walmart cares? Nope.

Crappy thing is, where i live, the only other closest place to buy things is 30 minutes away or so. Whereas i used to just "run to Walmart" to get something, now i have to either plan ahead or do without. And THIS is their monopoly. Need some camp dry. Why the heck am i supposed to buy it around here except at WM?

See ya, Walmart.

edit on 16-2-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Double

edit on 16-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join