It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up To 12 Million Bees Found Dead In Florida And No One Knows Why

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Hi all

Saw this article yesterday and it worries me and makes me sad.. We need the bees, we cannot live without them.

It seems they are blaming pesticides for this.

Authorities have already ruled out disease, including the infamous “Colony Collapse Disorder” (CCD), as the cause of a recent honeybee holocaust that took place in Brevard County, Florida. The UK’s Daily Mail reports that up to 12 million bees from roughly 800 apiaries in the area all dropped dead at roughly the same time around September 26 — and local beekeepers say pesticides are likely to blame.

And surprisingly enough the officialdom denies that the pesticide spraying was what caused the mass die off..

The Florida die-off coincides with a recent county-wide mosquito eradication effort, during which helicopters flew over various parts of the county and sprayed airborne pesticides. Officials, of course, deny that this taxpayer-funded spraying initiative had anything to do with the bee genocide, though. “The fact that it was so widespread and so rapid, I think you can pretty much rule out disease,” said Bill Kern, an entomologist from the University of Florida (UF) to Florida Today.

“It happened essentially almost in one day. Usually diseases affect adults or the brood, you don’t have something that kills them both.” Many of the beekeepers who lost their hives in the mass killing raised their bees to sell to American farmers, who then used them to pollinate food crops. Because of their massive losses, many of these beekeepers could end up losing their entire beekeeping businesses.

Also its not just the bees that the pesticide spraying has affected.. The beekeepers have lost money, business and friends because of this..

“I’m a pretty tough guy, but it is heart wrenching,” said Charles Smith of Smith Family Honey Company to News 13 in Orlando.

worldtruth.tv...

Why do they insist on pesticides, that are not only full of chemicals that goes into the food that we then eat, but also kill off one of the most important insects on our planet, that we rely so heavily on...?? They know we need the damn bees...!! Grrrr it makes me cross..!

end rant...

peace fluffx

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Yeah, I live down south and I noticed the bees here have been acting very strange. A few bees have this weird behavior I havn't seen before---they just sort of hover in the air and buzz around, facing one direction for nearly hours. They don't move anywhere--just hover in the same spot. They look mesmerized and perhaps even lost or paralyzed? Is that normal bee behavior? Has anyone else notice that where they live?

Edit: And it is always a single bee by itself doing it, too.

-TheGhoster
edit on 15-2-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by theghoster

I have suspicions that it isn't just the pesticides.. What if there is a frequency being emitted that is killing the bees off..? Or as you say mesmerising them and later they die..?

Who knows... I'm no bee expert, but having sat and watched bees buzzing about doing their bee stuff, they dont usually hover in the same spot.. Bees are always on a mission.. They dont have time to stop.
How very strange.

I cant say i have seen anything like that over here, but i live on an island off the west coast of Scotland and we dont have a huge amount of bees here.. However i shall keep a lookout over spring and summer to see if there are any differences in their behaviour etc..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
We should take action before they get extinct

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I also dont understand the whole Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD). How can bees just disappear..? They are disappearing for a reason, whether that be climate/weather, pesticides, frequencies I am not sure. But it has to be one of the above if not a couple..

For those interested in keeping the bee population as high and as healthy as possible, heres a wee bit of into on the type of plants you can plant in your garden to keep them happy...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
We should take action before they get extinct

They are an important player in nature and if they went extinct then I would expect a few other things to go with them.. But I'm sure the economy is more important to most leaders than some pesky bees..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

If they go extinct... we die. Simple. We need bees, the plants need bees. They are fascinating creatures and their incredible work-rate is responsible for the majority of the world’s pollination.

Many experts have predicted that without bees, the human race would be extinct in four years...

So yes, we need to help them... Get planting peeps..!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Bayer company makes the poison that's killing them.

i'll go find you a link

link
edit on 15-2-2013 by tinhattribunal because: addedlink

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Dying bees: check
Earthquakes : check
Meteors: check

It seems where on track hehe.

Seriously though, I'm thinking the big earthquake that's over due? Somehow I see the death of bees relate to tremors, don't ask me why tho.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007

They are fascinating creatures and their incredible work-rate is responsible for the majority of the world’s pollination.

Not to mention that they serve as role models for the incredibly lazy race of allegedly intelligent creatures known as 'homo sapiens'!

I have a question here. Dying flowers are a result of dying bees, not the other way around. Since our bees are dying anyway, would planting flowers really ease the problem? Besides, it's not because we're lacking flowers that we're losing bees (if I remember correctly), but because we're polluting the environment with agrochemicals, mining wastes and suchlike and making life a living h-e-double-hockey-sticks for our animal neighbours.
edit on 15/2/13 by diqiushiwojia because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/2/13 by diqiushiwojia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

This documentary is underrated.

This is a massive possibility..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Maybe it might be an idea to ask the people listed below :

David L. Chicoine, president of South Dakota State University; Hugh Grant, the president and CEO of Monsanto; Arthur H. Harper, managing partner of GenNx360 Capital Partners; Gwendolyn King, president of Podium Prose, a speakers bureau; Laura K. Ipsen, senior VP and general manager of Connected Energy Networks at Cisco Systems, Inc., C. Steven McMillan, former chairman and CEO of the Sara Lee Corporation; William U. Parfet, chief executive officer of MPI Research Inc.; Janice L. Fields, president of McDonald's USA; George H. Poste, chief executive of Health Technology Networks; and Jon R. Moeller, chief financial officer of The Procter & Gamble Company.

Yep folks, all Current members of the board of directors of Monsanto...

But they don't care that one of the most important species that allows all living creatures to be on this planet is slowly (or should i say quickly) disappearing from our environment... as long as they have their big fat wallets full and can still go to the country club from time to time... Bas***ds...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 15-2-2013 by Rodinus because: Spelling mistake

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It is really sad and disgusting that companies don't care about anything but the almighty dollar.

Just recently, I was researching wild bird seed brands for my backyard birds and came across a case of
Scotts Miracle Grow illegally adding poisonous pesticides to wild bird seed to prevent insects from infesting
it in storage. They knew the poison was toxic to birds, fish, etc. but kept on with it until they were found out.
How many birds died from this? I would guess a LOT! They sold 70 million units of the poisoned bird seed.

Disgusting!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
How many GM crops are in the fields?
they will NOT tel us.
and the GM crops are MADE to Kill insecs...

seems it works...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007

If they go extinct... we die. Simple. We need bees, the plants need bees. They are fascinating creatures and their incredible work-rate is responsible for the majority of the world’s pollination.

Many experts have predicted that without bees, the human race would be extinct in four years...

So yes, we need to help them... Get planting peeps..!

Eskimos live just fine without bees.

I'm not understanding why you say we will die if they go extinct.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Hopechest, may i suggest that you read the details in the link below, i haven't had much time to get into scientific works on this subject as the Château St George is taking effect... but you can Google and will find :

entomologyfreaks.tribe.net...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This isn't a bad link either which also leads you onto other interesting links on this subject !

bee-exstinction.wikispaces.com...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

The only science in your link is a random quote by Albert Einstein. I'm not saying your wrong but I just am not seeing how the extinction of bees would wipe out humans.

You know that bees are not indigenous to America don't you? Many plants have flowers that require an insect for pollination. And many different insects can do the job. Keep in mind that there were no honeybees in America until Europeans brought them over. So, prior to the 17th century, all the pollination in America was done by indigenous species like bumble bees, wasps, flies, butterflies, etc.

Not sure why other insects won't pick up the task when the bees go away since they have before.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by Rodinus

The only science in your link is a random quote by Albert Einstein. I'm not saying your wrong but I just am not seeing how the extinction of bees would wipe out humans.

You know that bees are not indigenous to America don't you? Many plants have flowers that require an insect for pollination. And many different insects can do the job. Keep in mind that there were no honeybees in America until Europeans brought them over. So, prior to the 17th century, all the pollination in America was done by indigenous species like bumble bees, wasps, flies, butterflies, etc.

Not sure why other insects won't pick up the task when the bees go away since they have before.

Hi Hope,

I think you were answering whilst i was typing out my post that followed, so maybe you can check out some of the links that are inside the other post.

Of course i know that Bees are not indegenous to the USA (personally i am not American and live in Europe), BUT, if i understand correctly i think that you will find that other types of pollenisating insects are also being affected due to crop spraying of extremely harmful molecules in a major way...

I live slap bang in the middle of the country side with beautiful corn, rape seed and sometimes sunflower crops all around my house. A couple of years ago i spoke with my neighbour who owns these fields and commented on how the insect population was getting lower and lower (Not just bees)... It turned out he was using a pesticide containing certain molecules that had a devastating effect on pollenisating insects (including Bees) the main product was called Cruiser OSR but other products made by a certain company beginning with M were also being used.

2 years later i noticed that the insect population in my garden (i have about 20 acres) was becoming more and more lively with pollenisating insects, Bees, Butterflies etc etc...

So, i decided to invite my farmer neighbour around for a drink and guess what? he told me that he had stopped using these products for over a year and had decided to use a product which was much more environment friendly...

So getting back to your comment, heres my question to you Hope, what what happen if plants were no longer able to reproduce because of pollenisating insects becoming extinct (including Bees who are the main laborers)?... NO more plants... so what happens after there are no more plants.... think it's quite easy to see what would happen no?

Heres the link again if you want to have a look : bee-exstinction.wikispaces.com...

Right, back to my last glass of Château St Georges 1966.

Kindest repects

Rodinus
edit on 15-2-2013 by Rodinus because: Forgot link

edit on 15-2-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join