It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up To 12 Million Bees Found Dead In Florida And No One Knows Why

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by Casualboy100

If they go extinct... we die. Simple. We need bees, the plants need bees. They are fascinating creatures and their incredible work-rate is responsible for the majority of the world’s pollination.

Many experts have predicted that without bees, the human race would be extinct in four years...

So yes, we need to help them... Get planting peeps..!

Eskimos live just fine without bees.

I'm not understanding why you say we will die if they go extinct.

Eskimos have been living that way how long? So we may not be extinct, but around 90% of the world population would die out. Look up what crops rely on bees for pollination. Off the top of my head I can name a few. Oranges, Lemons, Almonds, Persimmons, Pecans. I know there are many more.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I am pretty sure it is all the gmo and pesticides that are killing them off. I think I read a few studies that showed that the Bees were sick and it was due to pesticides.

It really does make sense since they pollinate plants that have build in pesticides or treated with pesticides. Those pesticides they use do not just target unwanted insects that target insects in general and anything else it can affect.

From what I read it had to do how their immune systems are affected. the get sick then die.
edit on 15-2-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Roughly 1/3 of the crops we consume...depending on the region. According to the article I posted on Page 2 of this thread that is.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is way out there.

But, could it have something to do with this??

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Somebody fouled up. They aren't supposed to spray for bugs when the bees are near the fields. Even if the crop dusters miss the hives "next to" the fields they are spraying, the bees still go out and wallow in the flowers collecting nectar, pollen... and pesticide. Then they bring it back to the hive and share it with everyone.

Score one for the bees.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I worry about this, especially after going all Heirloom the last few years in the gardens [ so I can collect my own seed]. Replaced most of the centipede with clover and mustard. Have some wild hives, hope to have enough blooms to keep them on the property. Cannot imagine hand-pollinating my cukes for the next 30 years.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Does anybody know much about the business of beekeeping? Such as, are there any larger businesses AND OR corporations in the US that are involved in beekeeping? If so, and I know this may sound ridiculous, could this have been a strategy to kill off smaller beekeeping businesses for said corporations to acquire a larger market share?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well... its the 21st century... theres no excuse for something to "go extinct" (apart from a real world scale ele ofc) - just clone the buggers. And bring back the other species also, ppl here are dying to meet all those 90% of all species that ever lived...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm sure Monsanto knows by now know the implications of these chemicals but oh no you won't hear a peep mentioned in the alphabet media. No one knows? This thread holds information stating otherwise: start around this page, www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
They are disapeerinng because IMHO Large corporations that thatt want to keep the prices high for astronomical profits insert what corporate farming name you want the less food the more they can charge...how bad is it affecting the florida orange juice outlook or what other major crops are in the area

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I'm sure Monsanto knows by now know the implications of these chemicals

if you can find it theres a book called a spring without bees it reveals not only our alarming pesticide use but some governemnt corruption in relation to pesticides
books.google.ca...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Here's "why" it happened.

Man has eaten the fruit of the tree of Knowledge and declared that he is the master of the planet. He has proceeded to conquer the planet and bend it to his will. Thus he has disrupted the balance of life on a global scale. Either man will master the planet and create a utopia, or destroy himself trying.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
For those interested in keeping the bee population as high and as healthy as possible, heres a wee bit of into on the type of plants you can plant in your garden to keep them happy...

I am in no way trying to undermine the gravity of the situation.

But remember this bee is not the only pollinator for those plants.

I realized how true this is when I had a massive chili pepper garden last summer. Your image says 'peppers', but it's not the honey bee those plants attract in my area. It's this one
They weren't around until I planted the chills, and then BAM lotsof them.

And lots of these guys showed up as well. Ggrrrrrrr! They eat the plants. Little bastards.

However they also turn into these!! They also help pollinate my peppers

Now before those Hornworms turn into Hawk Moths, some look like this!

Guess what those 'white worms' are
Give up? Wasps. Nature is cool

edit on 15-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by Rodinus

The only science in your link is a random quote by Albert Einstein. I'm not saying your wrong but I just am not seeing how the extinction of bees would wipe out humans.

You know that bees are not indigenous to America don't you? Many plants have flowers that require an insect for pollination. And many different insects can do the job. Keep in mind that there were no honeybees in America until Europeans brought them over. So, prior to the 17th century, all the pollination in America was done by indigenous species like bumble bees, wasps, flies, butterflies, etc.

Not sure why other insects won't pick up the task when the bees go away since they have before.

I've tried using this logic in another recent thread dedicated to the "decline of bees". Reading comprehension and understanding of "bees" in these threads are only focused on the domesticated honey bee, which is what the article in the OP is about.

I'm not saying there is no problem, because there clearly is a problem with the honey bees dying. There is also a problem in that scientists (to my knowledge) don't even track pollenizing populations of various insects. Many insects could be dying and affected in some way, but no one knows because the only recent focus is on honey bees.... which will mean... higher honey prices!

Oh, and food for thought... There are around 20,000 species of Bees. Why only focus on the honey bee?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winged-Sphinx
www.youtube.com...

This documentary is underrated.

This is a massive possibility..

Agree thinking electro magnetic fields - natural (sun created) and man made.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Eskimos??? Really???
Well gee do you eat things that were pollinated? Most of the human population eats what has been pollinated or eats what eats what was pollinated. We cant all live on a diet that comes 100% out of the ocean and with the way we treat the oceans that's not really much of an option any more either.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
reply to post by fluff007

It takes some serious temerity to claim the bee die off happened at the same time as the mass pesticide spraying but there is no correlation or causality.

Incredible. Who do they really think is going to buy that? ...besides your urban/sub-urban shut-in crowd?

Oh its like everything else - deny, just keep moving folks - lets not look at the chemicals, pollution, radiation, and electromagnetic fields. Lets deny any connect with things like sky rocketing autism rates too while we are at it. Lest just claim its all unrelated and just sort of coincidental, ok? Geez sheeple move along now will you.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
OK well the OP is about honey bees but honey bees are monitored in a rather concise way. How do you monitor the loss of other insects on a large scale? Other pollinating creatures are not typically living in boxes and easily monitored. Look there have been multiple posts the past years about massive die offs of a variety of living creatures. Birds - fish - bees - bats. Any large die off - well I'm interested in discovering the reason behind that.

When I think of my life on this planet, well pesticides have been around for a long time and there have been repercussions of say for example the use of DDT - many who were children in the 70s in the US might remember the near extinction of many birds of prey. The DDT caused their eggs to be too soft to sit upon, so changes were made. Corrections.

So yes a percentage of situations are most likely related to pesticide use it doesn't take a science degree to figure that out. What is next for change - well this GMO stuff is new so that could play a pretty big role.

But in my humble opinion the thing that has most changed in the last 20 years is our walking, talking and living in this electromagnetic world of a wired society. Have you been around a public school lately? My son's is in a class of 18 students, 3 of whom have Autism spectrum severe enough its not just a change in diagnosis criteria making these numbers happen.

Something is behind these "changes" in our world, perhaps multiple causes creating a perfect storm?
We are all interconnected - so the bees well they matter and I want more then a brush off from some authority figure who says move along now, nothing to see here..
edit on 16-2-2013 by LittleBirdSaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBirdSaid

I also think it's a combination of gmo plants, pesticides, and geo-magnetic fields (does anyone wonder what those cell phone towers and wifi is doing to all of us and the bees?)

I have another question. Remember when the african honey bee was moving in, through the south and mating with the honey bee? Does eventually this end up in a more defenseless bee to whatever poison is out there?
Is the bumblebee having the same problems? Here in Wisconsin, we have a lot of bumblebees and wasps.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
One thing I can tell you as a Floridian that has moved back after years away is this.
When I lived here in the 80s my god, the bugs!! Ok - Florida is famous for its bugs.
Fire ants, roaches, mosquitoes.
Since I've moved back down here in 09 - I have barely experienced a mosquito bite.
I've seen a total of 2 wood roaches. And pretty much no fire ants.
Pretty big change from my experience of living here in the past. I came back for the climate and figured I'd deal with the bugs as a consequence and pretty much there have been no bugs to speak of.
When I can sit outside enjoying a campfire in the evening with nary a mosquito - well????
Its more then the bees . . .

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join