It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feb 15 DA14 may take out TV, cell signals, knock down satellites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

even though earth impact probability very, very low, this large asteroid is being purported to "comes closer than any other one on record"

and the newscasters warn of the possibility of taking out communications signals or possibly satellites..

i wonder... has earth ever experienced satellites being disrupted damaged or knocked out/down by comets/asteroids/meteors??

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Yes, there was a satellite that was knocked out of orbit and lost - can't remember exactly what happened, but I know it was in 1998, because my husband and I were first dating and madly in love. We joked that our powerful "passions" were the culprit that knocked out the satellite. I'll try some research to see which one.

As for the current situation, it could get a little dicey. I can't help but think the just-breaking news of Russia's meteorite crashes might have something to do with the one coming tomorrow (i.e., do asteroids have debris around them? or did the thing come early?).

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The chances of it hitting an operational satellite is pretty slim as JSPOC, NORAD, or any other Space Surveillance agency are already tracking and have already made a pathway for DA14. Can possibly hit a dead satellite but also pretty slim.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tropic

Yes, here it is an answer to your question about whether a satellite had ever been knocked off it's orbit before:

On Tuesday, May 19, 1998, at 6 p.m., the satellite Galaxy IV suffered a failure in its onboard control system. The backup switch also failed, and the $250 million satellite rotated out of position, completely disrupting communications here on Earth. Owned by PanAmSat, Galaxy IV was launched in June 1993. It is positioned in a geosynchronous orbit 22,000 miles above Kansas. USA Today called the incident "the biggest telecommunications failure in recent years," adding that the breakdown "wiped out pager traffic, halted credit card transactions and knocked TV and radio stations off the air."

LINK

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tropic

Meteorite Crashes into Russia

Why don't you take a look at this and tell everyone that it will not do any harm to our planet. Not proven to be related, but you know what I'm about to say. So go at it, let's talk about what really is going on here.

And this is not the one many years ago, this just happened.

edit on 2/15/13 by SixX18 because: Update

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
wow, is that Russia incident related to DA14? makes sense considering the big one is around half the size of a football field, it might be travelling thru space with other small ones its attracted?

and so while the big one won't impact.. the media is so far shy of warning smaller ones in a similar path/trajectory could? i heard some students were hurt in russia, hope there weren't fatalities from... lil meteorites!

pagers.. whats that?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Does anyone know if this will be visible? And what time if so?...Im on the west coast, usa. I've looked for information and couldnt find any. I want to see it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Does anyone know if this will be visible? And what time if so?...Im on the west coast, usa. I've looked for information and couldnt find any. I want to see it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I have been following this for a long time too, since the discovery back in 2012 by who.........3 armature astronomers ..Not NASA the vid is only 2.00 min its good just saying.. I guess we will know today at 2:30 pm Est.

ok the vid wont load sorry here is the link

www.youtube.com...
edit on 15-2-2013 by trinityalways because: vid is not loading

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
There won't be electricity loss right?? Would hate to have any device permanently fried somehow.
Also would love to get to see .... Would be something to remember . And I hope the news keeps tabs on this ..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMistro81

I want to know too, I've read that is due about 7.25pm UK time-I really want to see it!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
cosmiclog.nbcnews.com...

Astronomers say asteroid 2012 DA14 won't be visible to the naked eye, but it is possible to watch it pass by through binoculars or a small telescope — if you know where and when to look. The Heavens-Above website can help you get a fix on the fast-moving rock. First, go to the website's location database and find the nearest city. Click on the link for that city. Then, click on over to the 2012 DA14 sky chart and look for the asteroid's track, with notations that indicate observation times. If you don't see the asteroid's track, you won't be able to see the asteroid. In some cases, the track is shown during daylight hours — which would generally rule out visual observations.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Please add your comments to one of the existing threads on this topic. Thank you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed

edit on 2/15/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

top topics

join