It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

wouldnt this be considered...evidence....that DA14....is on course to hit earth??

No. Why? I believe it will miss as advertised - that doesn't mean there isn't accompanying debris however. Before and after. Expect an interesting 25 hours or so.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

It would seem to be, we will find out soon enough though, but of course people will come and say its a mere coincidence. The thing that bugs me is, why didn't an amateur astronomer pick this up, or how come this came all out of the blue? You would expect being today's the 15th, they would be focusing on the sky.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Wow that was insane. That Russian guy was so calm. I would've been freaking out.

It looks like they shot it down?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by JBanger
Mountain Home Air Force Base just went on alert and scrambled the fighters.

I heard of another base doing the same.

Anyone hear similar?

edit on 15-2-2013 by JBanger because: (no reason given)

Where did you hear this from, if I may ask. That's in Idaho correct?

www.mountainhome.af.mil...
I think the alert is likely due to the readiness exercise that started yesterday.
Des
edit on 15-2-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

wouldnt this be considered...evidence....that DA14....is on course to hit earth??

No. Why? I believe it will miss as advertised - that doesn't mean there isn't accompanying debris however. Before and after. Expect an interesting 25 hours or so.

well if its accompanying debris is hitting earth

then....

as you said...interesting wait

and we have clear skies over london this morning....
edit on 15-2-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

So.. it is probably debris ejected ahead of the meteoroid

Ejected ahead of the asteroid?
How do you figure that debris would be accelerated so it arrived 14 or 15 hours ahead of the asteroid?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is...CRAZY....

But...is it possible to "shoot down" a meteorite? I have problems believing this

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsok
I have so had a crush on Clyde for like.....

Yeah? I been listening to Clyde for a year or so...
I would listen to coast to coast AM before but its been watered down since art bell went away...
I also listen to Alex Jones a lot but he is always trying to sell some food or water filter so i just turn him off when he go's into infomercial mode.... *CLICK*

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Time of event given as 0620GMT Feb 15 [JimO: but I doubt it]

see
Event into space in Russia [Asia] on Friday, 15 February, 2013 at 06:20 (06:20 AM) UTC.

hisz.rsoe.hu...
Russian officials say a meteorite has fallen in the Chelyabinsk region some 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) east of Moscow. A spokesman for the Russian Interior Ministry, Vadim Kolesnikov, said the Friday morning fall caused a blast that broke windows. There were no immediate confirmed reports of injuries, but Russian news agencies cited unnamed sources as saying several people were injured at a school in a thinly populated part of the region, which is on the eastern edge of the Ural Mountains.

Photos and video available in the RSOE EDIS's Facebook site: www.facebook.com...

JimO: That time cannot be correct for the event since it is well after local sunrise. either the time is of the REPORT [probably] or is of local time [requires posting error]. Based on sky brightness I estimate 06:40 local, or 0240 GMT.

Chelyabinsk Chelyabinskaya Oblast' 55.167°N 61.400°E 220 m

GMT + 4 hours

Daily events for 15 February
Event Time Altitude Azimuth
Minimum altitude: 00:08 -47.6° 360°
Astronomical twilight begins: 05:15 -18.0° 86°
Nautical twilight begins: 05:57 -12.0° 95°
Civil twilight begins: 06:40 -6.0° 104°
Sunrise: 07:18 -0.8° 111°
Maximum altitude: 12:09 22.3° 180°
Sunset: 17:00 -0.8° 249°
Civil twilight ends: 17:38 -6.0° 257°
Nautical twilight ends: 18:21 -12.0° 265°
Astronomical twilight ends: 19:03 -18.0° 274°

============

update:
Time update:
AP says
Amateur video broadcast on Russian television showed an object speeding across the sky about 9:20 a.m. local time (0320 GMT), leaving a thick white contrail and an intense flash.

Based on sunrise time, that still can't be right, but maybe since he has GMT + 6, and gets 0320 GMT,
he's not far off my guess of 0240 GMT. The source of MY sunrise/sunset data, heavens-above,
appears to have the wrong local time conversion for Chelyabinsk.

So -- go with the AP story!

edit on 15-2-2013 by JimOberg because: update

link   
Quick Qustion here, have they already figured out the trajectory from the comet? To see if it came from the same direction as upcoming comet?

link   
The live meteor web site is down.

Does anyone have an alternative?

link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by fleabit

How do you figure that debris would be accelerated so it arrived 14 or 15 hours ahead of the asteroid?

Prior collision slowing down the main mass in relative terms. Over thousands of years could become quite separated.

Maybe you may have underestimated this asteroid system?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by fleabit

Ahm wormhole effect. The debris was transported.

Sheesh!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
to be homest

they look like meteors as they enter

but then they also look like missiles that have not exploded...

the streaks in the sky are new to me

never in my life have i seen "meteor" footage like this....

+9 more 
link   
have to say american news media is very embarrassing, CNN won't get off this damn boat story, when real news is going on. pathetic.

link   
reply to post by billy82269

Thank you, Billy....

Des

link   
20,000 emergency repsonders have been mobilized, they mention they
have checked for background radiation, and that it is normal. So...no nuclear explosions known
at this time.

MOSCOW, February 15 (RIA Novosti) – A meteorite shower has hit three regions of Russia, and Kazakhstan, Russian Emergencies Ministry officials confirmed on Friday morning.

In one affected Russian region, Chelyabinsk, the authorities have received numerous calls reporting injuries received as a result of the meteorite shower, and 20,000 emergency response workers have been mobilized. Background radiation levels reportedly remain unchanged.

“Verified information indicates that this was one meteorite which burned up as it approached Earth and disintegrated into smaller pieces” deputy head of the Russian Emergencies Ministry press office, Elena Smirnykh said.
en.ria.ru...

going out on a limb, the sonic boom is quite impressive for a meteorite. The vapor trails
are curious. I am undecided as to what else this might be aside from a meteorite.
edit on 15-2-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

When I saw the sky light up nearly white I was thinking nuclear attack. Had this fragment of "the sum of all fears" rushing through my head.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Wow Wow,
I find this very weird !

" According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers !! ""

It made me think of what Carol Rosin said

First it wil be the evil russians ! then there wil be terrorist !! then the third world countries ( Nations of concern Egypt,Iran,Syria,Libya,Oman.Mali,Tunisia)
Then there wil be asteroids !! and then the last Card the extraterrestrial threat

Could this realy be the case ?
remember that this ufo conference was before 9-11 and the war on terror

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I am not an expert, but from what I have seen and heard it sure does look like a missile that got shot down, or failed to detonated.

I hope that is not the case here.

Phage look at the trails here closely.

edit on 15-2-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join