It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
This is about twelve hours ahead of the asteroid fly-by.

Earth moves 18 miles/sec in its orbit, about 65,000 mph. In 12 hours, that's
almost 800,000 miles. We're that far AWAY from the intersection point with the asteroid.

Comet and asteroid/meteoroid debris tends to spread out forward and aft of the main body,
not so much to the sides [although meteor showers can spread over a number of days
indicating that those clouds have slightly widened].

That's why, without even being able to analyze the track of the meteor, I'd venture to guess
it is unrelated to the bigger rock heading our way. We're well short of the rendezvous [crossing] point
with the asteroid.

Well, like I was saying.. these could have been happy, peaceful bits of rock floating on the fringe of our solar system. Some other, larger meteoroid cruises through, sending bits of rock flying everywhere. This in Russia is the first. Tomorrow's flyby is the larger noticed one. But we may have many bits flying by our planet. I just find it very difficult to believe this is coincidence.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jollyjollyjolly

Yeah. Pretty amazingly quick response time.

Unless of course, they knew it was coming.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
reply to post by SubAce

Where are you ?
In the US, Russia or where?

The Sonoran Desert.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
That would be insane response time actually. They must have known something was coming or it was picked up.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Sure try this site:

merriott-astro.uk

It's pretty good.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This just in Russia has hit a meteorite.
edit on 15-2-2013 by JoyfullMustard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
www.meteorscan.com...

Looks to be live here. Not a lot going on but 1 LARGE signature

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by talisman

That would be insane response time actually. They must have known something was coming or it was picked up.

Putting an extra layer of my conspiracy hat on.....maybe "they" knew about the meteor(s) before they were going to enter out atmosphere, and decided not to tell us so we wouldnt panic (until they actually start falling through our skies of course).

link   
my little quake app just went off with a 4.4 in North Eastern Russia....will go look at coordinates to see if this is close by....

link   

Originally posted by Phage

Yeah. Pretty amazingly quick response time.

I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing, but could they have started tracking it before it got into the atmosphere?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Well, like I was saying.. these could have been happy, peaceful bits of rock floating on the fringe of our solar system.
2012 DA14 is a NEO. It's orbit actually sort of parallels (I guess concentric would be a better word) that of Earth. It's a close neighbor we say "hi" to on a fairly regular basis.

link   

Originally posted by fleabit
reply to post by Arken

It looked like the trails left by a missile. The one perhaps that struck the meteor? My guess at least. First boom was it hitting the meteor, later booms are impacts of the bits of the meteor hitting terra firma.

It's funny how many "experts" are all of a sudden coming out of the woods having examined meteorite impacts and meteorite/missile trails for ages.

As to my knowledge, this is the first verified footage of a meteorite impact...so how would people know how a meteorite trail is "supposed to" look like?

As for the booms, 99,99% this is sonic booms caused by the broken off pieces - NOT by "the russians shooting down a meteorite". (Which I consider internet nonsense)

link   

I didn't say it would've been an easy shot, though.
And we also will never be able to confirm nor deny how much prior info they had. How far in advance were the russians aware of this incoming 'object'. Did they get notice of an inbound object in the last 5 minutes or for over one week?

+4 more 
link   
Even though I have a firm belief in UFOs (i.e. not from Earth) Phage, I really am a firm skeptic until proof is provided. And I believe that many events are simple coincidence. But I take things like odds vs. probability into account. In this case, I can't believe for a minute that an unprecedented meteor strike in Russia, a mere 15 +/- hours before the flyby of a sizable meteoroid, is coincidence. We may see nothing else. Just the planned fly-by tomorrow.. recorded for spin etc. to help our understanding of meteoroid trajectory. But I still think they are firmly related.

There is common sense. There is logic. And then there is putting blinders on to ignore something that just makes sense.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Meteorlive feed is down.

But someone got a liveshot just before. It was really huge.

Does someone have an alternative??

link   

Originally posted by maoklein
people saying that a missile salvo couldn't hit it...

it's only dependent on simple math and lauching angle. Granted the missiles probably wouldn't be able to chase it (the bolide, meteor, asteroid, ufo oO) but to say that it would be an impossible shot is just wrong.

Given that the event took place not long ago, we'll certainly see some more images uploaded to youtube in the next few days. If we're lucky we might even some videos that disprove or confirms this.

I agree here- we have the technology now-a-days to make those kind of calculations. As in, where and when to shoot a missile to collide with a tracked incoming object. Not impossible.

Any more "news" about the alleged fireballs in Utah?

link   
Wow, this is pretty interesting. Thing for me is how exactly do you intercept and destroy a meteor, i mean those things are moving at an incredible rate. And I find it amusing how its the government claiming meteor shower while the public is saying something else, you'd think it would be the other way around heh. Ill have to back read the thread since im sure its mentioned somewhere already...

Looks like the night sky's gonna be pretty clear where i live, not sure about if we here in NZ will get to see it (the main asteroid that is), might decide to stay up and see what i can see.

And whats funny is... guess whats on TV tonight on Channel 4 in my country...

Deep Impact

(granted I think its deliberate on the stations part given the close flyby of the main event is in the next 6 hours or so, they have a subtle sense of humor)
edit on 15-2-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I've hear previously that this meteorite could have fragmented from recent gravitational stress.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
CNN still running re-runs of this stupid boat crap.

Ya think they should break in to let us north americans know if we might have anything coming our way?

wait let's play mush.

we know there was a comet/meteor you can clearly see in one of the videos it doing what a meteor usually does, but i do believe the russians shot a missile at it

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join