It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 7 Types of Gear you MUST have in your B.O.B.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia
Something crucial that most people dont cover is WHAT kind of environment are you planning for?

Most of these guides are north american, based on wooded areas that get cold in winter. Really the BOB should be completely different if heading into say, a desert/drought stricken area like here where I am.

EG a water purifier is not going to be much use, since there is no water. Some gear to capture water (via condensation/etc) would be a good replacement.. and just bigger stocks of water being carried. the extra weight offset by no need for warm clothing/blankets/heavy waterproof boots. I'd recommend something lightweight and breathable for footwear in the heat. good ankle support is still necessary of course.

etc ,etc.. so if you read one of these guides, dont just go out and buy the list..

Agreed 100%. Nowadays many people seem to rush at the chance to spend money on something they have no idea about because of what it's supposed to do. Usually that thing gets used once, maybe.

From my experience, try packing a bag with what you think you need, and staying outside for a night. Then go home, learn what you need and don't need, and try again for 1 or 2 nights. Keep learning and gaining knowledge/experience until you have the right stuff for you, personally.

Also I don't hear too much talk about weight. If you plan on hiking for hours carrying 40+ pounds, then you should be practicing for that as well. Gotta be in shape to "survive"! =D

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The wife bought me a green beret survival manual for xmas. Just think it is a must have in itself. Provides food, shelter and eats.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Less is more. Last fall I went to a foreign country and spent four days walking around in a down town city. I was tired of carrying my purse, a small camera, and a small canvas shopping tote. Each night I would clean them both out and get rid of non essential items. The water bottle was a heavy 20 oz. I found that only carrying half that made life more pleasant. Refilled in the bathroom sinks all over town only 10 oz.
For a SHTF I would carry a large knife and pocket knife version, stainless steel water bottle, small can of stew, matches or flint, space blanket, gloves, clean underwear and socks, small chocolate pieces, soap, lotion, screw driver (with assorted tips), kleenex, ibypropren, bandaids, and ryman soup pkgs and crackers. For three days a person doesn't need much. I spent a week on a horse and just had bottled water, lunch, and my passport each day for 8 hours.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by peck420

Like I said...

Video or it didn't happen.

BTW- Indians were defeated with what? GUNS?
edit on 11-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Not by guns more like disease measles, small pox, and other illnesses brought over helped to wipe the natives out. And you must be either trolling or just plain stupid not to know natives killed bears.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Very informative. Simple, yet comprehensive.

It’s something so simple, yet many, myself included, don’t bother with it and I do tend to see the practicality in most things. A “BOB” can be used in many differing scenarios.

For example, I recall a fellow member describing a situation in which the BOB was used to assist during a prolonged power outage, which I am sure everyone experiences from time to time.

The more I think of it, the more I realize how naïve, dare I say ignorant it is to not have some kind of preparation kit assembled and that relying solely on others and the government to come “rescue” you and your family in a time of need.

The only portion of your breakdown I am unsure of due to my own lack of personal experience is weapons. For me a knife would serve a dual purpose as tool and weapon, as I do not own a firearm or foresee myself getting one, unless it becomes justifiable.

To each his own I guess and no two “BOB” would be exactly the same, so mine may include a two four of beer and my hockey stick, which interestingly can double as a weapon

edit on 12-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Well posted, Slayer. Here is a question for you. I've many collegues who wnat to prep and have BOB like you show above, but really don't have the time or knowlege to put one together but have plenty of funds. Are there sources for fully stocked and ready to go kits with eveything you have in your post (minus the gun I assume)?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Question about anti-biotics, when they expire does that mean they are useless or that they are poisonous?

When they expire they expire there is some controversy surrounding expiration dates of medicine the safe bet is to follow the guidelines and do not use.

And for the love of god do not listen to those ignorant people telling others to buy fish antibiotics either.

When it comes to antibiotics go ask your physician not people here and if people want antibiotics for their kits follow the law.

Go ask your doctor the worse thing he can say is no the best thing is yes and fills an order just might be surprised and find a doctor sympathetic to your needs.

The issue with antibiotics ( as well as other medications) is that they gradually lose their potancy over time, but not all at once. There is a VERY large amount of wiggle room on the expiration date on the bottle. Ampcillin that is a year out of date could be very close in efficacy to new ampcilln but you won't know just how much it has degraded so you don't know if you have to double the usual dose or just increase it a little bit.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm personally missing a long rope, a climbing harness (You never know), Locking -, Carabiners clipped to your CH, Nylon fishing lines, some hooks, A zippo.

As Superfoods I would bring some Spirulina, Some Solgar Formula VM-2000,

For my water supply i would use a LifesaverBottle, because it also filters out Bactera and Viruses and other debris that is in the water. www.lifesaversystems.com...

And I would get my hands on some "harddrugs" Like amphetamines to stay awake if needed.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Not by guns more like disease measles, small pox, and other illnesses brought over helped to wipe the natives out. And you must be either trolling or just plain stupid not to know natives killed bears.

Show me 1 video of someone killing a bear with a knife. If it’s so common then let’s see it!

I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’m saying it’s not worth the risk. Indian’s did it out of necessity because they didn’t have guns. You’re pretty dumb to try and shoot a 500lb bear with a homemade bow you whittled yourself out in the woods or a knife tied to a stick.

You guys act as though the concept of walking in the woods ARMED with a GUN is foreign. Look, if you and others get your kicks ‘playing Indian’ then go for it. I have 2 kids and a wife to worry about. I’ll use my 30.06 or 7mm magnum.

edit on 12-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Ok...start the vid at 8 minutes 10 seconds

I am into primitive skills for a reason...there might not be a walmart or a gun store.
Also because its a lost skill.

Primitive man had those skills,most in this time don't.
edit on 12-2-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Good information as always. But I'll tell you what has my boxers in a bunch lately, Ammo shortages and purchasing limits... Which also effects my range time. I have not been hitting the range because I do not want to deplete my supply of 9mm and .22 of all things. I can't find .22 anywhere within a 30 mile radius of where I live. I talked to my neighbor who's a regular at the range and he commented on the reduced number of usual shooters.

I went to pull out my old CO2 Sig226 replica to do some basement plinking and something is broken. Time to shop for a new gas airsoft pistol. It will be much easier to keep my skills and muscle memory up to snuff.

Anyway, that being said... I wish I would have added a brass reloading rig to my workshop a couple of years ago during the last ammo shortage. Even tough to find supplies for reloading at the moment. Damn 20/20 hindsight!!!!

Back to the BOB... I have added a small variety of Breeze Clamps/Hose clamps to my kit over the years. Great for a multitude of repairs or for cobbling together a quick hunting or defensive spear. Just two clamps to quickly and securely attach my RC 4 to a straight sapling and I'm good to go....
edit on 12-2-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Well posted, Slayer. Here is a question for you. I've many collegues who wnat to prep and have BOB like you show above, but really don't have the time or knowlege to put one together but have plenty of funds. Are there sources for fully stocked and ready to go kits with eveything you have in your post (minus the gun I assume)?

You might want to check out what Doug Ritter has to offer. His site has been my primary resource for building a couple of my kits over time
www.dougritter.com...

Information Galore
www.equipped.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Me and my family have a seaworthy sailboat so the whole thing is basically a B.O.B.

I feel sorry for those that are going to have to tough it out on land. I'm not sure I could handle that at all and would probably just give up and throw myself on the mercy of the nearest military guy I find.
Ummm.....I've thought of that scenario myself...what length is your boat, if I may?...I have a 27' older Oday that optioned the inboard 4 cyl engine. (mine was the option with an outboard bracket) I have the engine compartment as stowage as well as all of the other compartments etc.

In my BOB I've included one of those collapsible limb saws as well. I also have a number of the water activated MRE heat packs along with warmer packs and emergency blankets, (mylar reflective). I really could use another of those magnesium fire starters though and include string for a firebow. I also have a number of camping candles and decided to use a knife sharpener in place of my oil and whetstones, (for weight reasons).

YouSir

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Good information as always. But I'll tell you what has my boxers in a bunch lately, Ammo shortages and purchasing limits... Which also effects my range time. I have not been hitting the range because I do not want to deplete my supply of 9mm and .22 of all things. I can't find .22 anywhere within a 30 mile radius of where I live. I talked to my neighbor who's a regular at the range and he commented on the reduced number of usual shooters.

I went to pull out my old CO2 Sig226 replica to do some basement plinking and something is broken. Time to shop for a new gas airsoft pistol. It will be much easier to keep my skills and muscle memory up to snuff.

Anyway, that being said... I wish I would have added a brass reloading rig to my workshop a couple of years ago during the last ammo shortage. Even tough to find supplies for reloading at the moment. Damn 20/20 hindsight!!!!

Back to the BOB... I have added a small variety of Breeze Clamps/Hose clamps to my kit over the years. Great for a multitude of repairs or for cobbling together a quick hunting or defensive spear. Just two clamps to quickly and securely attach my RC 4 to a straight sapling and I'm good to go....
edit on 12-2-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)
Ummm.....I know what you mean, I've been reduced to using the Gamo 1200 fps pellet rifle so that I dont eat into my stock of rounds......just not the same....Thanks for the hose clamp idea, I've got a nice blade that I could use for a spear....

YouSir

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by seabag

Ok...start the vid at 8 minutes 10 seconds

I am into primitive skills for a reason...there might not be a walmart or a gun store.
Also because its a lost skill.

Primitive man had those skills,most in this time don't.
edit on 12-2-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

Uhm....that's not video proof. That's video of a guy making ridiculous claims.

Primitive skills are valuable, I do not disagree. Anyone who can do the things you claim has no need for a BOB, right? Why waste time and money on a BOB when you can just run into the woods and turn into a Navaho MacGyver?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I have gear for my camping trips,I do one bag in and one bag out and its nice to have luxuries.

Gear is great to have I do admit but in a real shtf scenario,when the gear runs out or deteriorates you are only left with your wits which is why I try to learn as much as i can.
Knowledge weighs nothing.

When I am out in the woods,I try to learn just one thing...if I don't then I see the trip as a failure.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Started my B.O.B recently.... great ideas slayer thank you, you may also want to add a couple if handbooks in there, e.g fungi and edible plant life depending on what corner of the globe you intend to bug out to....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Wow this thread took off.
Thanks again for all the informative contributions.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

if this is a SHTF scenario i am bringing a gun. bambi don't shoot back and you have to get some place safe first. i will not let someone take what is mine

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have been putting together our first B.O.B's for the family. This is chock full of great info,
and there are even a few items I completely forgot about. (Duh..extra clothes.. *smacks head*)

Thank you!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join