It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 7 Types of Gear you MUST have in your B.O.B.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The 7 Types of Gear you must have in your Bug Out Bag

For someone new to being a Survivalist building your first Bug Out Bag can seem like a big task. Everybody you read about has been tweaking theirs for months or even years and has a pile of gear built up. It’s hard to know where to start, but if you cover all of the basics in a survival situation you will still be much better off that 99% of the people.

A Bug Out Bag, (also called a BOB, Get Out of Dodge Bag, GOOD, or 72 Hour Bag) is usually designed to get you out of an emergency situation and allow you to survive self-contained for up to 3 days. A lot of people plan their Bug Out Bag to sustain them for much longer than that, but there is always a limit to what you can carry on your back and a 3 day target is a good place to start.

I've recently moved back to Eastern Oregon/Washington area where I lived for the past 10 years since my divorce and I cleared out a storage unit I've had for about 3+ years or so holding most of my survival gear, rifles and a bunch of other stuff, 52" Sony TV Blue-Ray player [Both Presently on E-bay] I never watched the damn thing and its brand new...

Anyway, I setup my PC tower that was in storage and decided to reformat my old trusty laptop but thought it prudent to go through my browser bookmarks first and came across the above link on Bug Out Bags.

I've talked to quite a few people who have their own. [Each varies according to their needs or perceived view of what they think they may need.] I have mine, but it's much lighter and less complicated than most, I have a length of rope, knife, some sundries, first-aid kit, flint etc etc etc

It's not as fancy as many I've seen but it will suffice [mostly military surplus] which I'm more familiar with than the off the shelf name brand retail supplies. What I'd like to share with you today are the 7 Types of gear all BOBs should have regardless of the situation. Knowing many here are savvier than others on the topic. So keeping with my ”Back to the Basics” theme for 2013 I'll post this for the beginners or those who just simply like discussing the topic...

Here are the 7 basic types of gear you will need for your Bug Out Bag:

1. Water

Water Bottle should go without saying that water is a survival basic for any situation. In a survival situation water quickly becomes the most precious commodity.

1 Liter per day per person is really the bare minimum. So your 3 day Bug Out Bag should have at least 3 liters of water.

To expand your capability or survive longer than a couple of days you will need a water purification system. This can be as simple as boiling water and iodine tablets, or a serious water filter.

* You can use a Collapsible Water Bottle for extra storage.
* Make water collection easier with a Backpacking Bucket.
* Use Coffee Filters to extend the life of your water filtration system.
* Find out How Bottled Water Can Improved Your Bug Out Bag

2. Food

For a 3 Day Bug Out Bag Backpack Meals and Energy Bars can be sufficient. Back pack meals are freeze dried meals that you just add boiling water to. They are light weight and last a long time.

Obviously you will need a longer term food solution in any type of wide area catastrophe, but for your basic Bug Out Bag backpack meals are a good set up.

3. Clothing

Your Bug Out Bag clothes should be similar to what you would pack for a weekend backpacking trip.

* A pair of sturdy boots or shoes
* A pair of long pants (preferably not blue jeans)
* 2 Pairs of socks (preferably not cotton)
* 2 Shirts (Maybe 1 long sleeve and 1 short sleeve for layering)
* A Jacket that is both warm and protection from rain
* Warm long underwear of some kind
* A hat
* A Bandana (30 Uses for a Bandana)

This list could go on for a while and many people would never dream of leaving their Bug Out Bag without twice that much, but in a pinch that set up could get you by for 3 days.

Be sure to plan for the weather in your area: Do You have Seasonal Clothes in Your Bug Out Bag?

4. Shelter

If you are going to survive for 3 days you are going to need protection from the elements and a warm dry place to sleep. You need at least:

1. Some type of tent or tarp and a way to set it up

2. A ground tarp for underneath your shelter to stay dry or a sleeping pad (Never underestimate the importance of this)

3. Some type of Bedroll, preferably a good sleeping bag.

5. First Aid Kit

Trying to cover everything you need in your Bug Out Bag First Aid Kit is another article entirely to itself, probably several more. I won’t try to cover it because I would surely leave something out.

What I will do is recommend that you build your own First Aid Kit instead of buying one of those prepackaged first aid kits that claim to have 1001 things to get you through any emergency. While some are ok, in my experience these types of kits are usually filled with a lot of stuff you are unlikely to need and not enough of the things you will probably need a lot of.

Plus, building your own first aid kit gives you an intimate knowledge of what it contains and how to use it. How many people buy one of those pre-made set ups and just assume they are prepared because there’s so much crap in it there must be what I need? Bad Idea

6. Basic Gear

Basic Gear sounds repetitive (what have I been talking about?) but it is my category for the things you absolutely cannot live without but don’t really fit well into another category. Many survivalists will not like this list because it is not exhaustive by any means, but again I will say: It will be enough to get you by for a couple of days.

Rain Gear – at least 2 ways to stay dry in the rain. Poncho and Coat are good coupled with your Tent/Shelter

Fire – A bare minimum of 3 different ways to make fire. I wrote more about this here: Do you have 5 ways to make fire? With that you can get a flame but you will have to actually build the fire up too: 5 Ideas for Fire Tender.

You’re also going to need something to cut your firewood and a knife uses too much energy long term: Choosing the Best Survival Chainsaw

Cooking – Bare minimum here is a small pot/large cup to boil water in for both drinking and freeze dried meals. A small backpacking stove and fuel are better.

Light – At least 2 dependable flashlights and a backup set of batteries for each.

Survival Knife – The most used and most versatile tool in your Bug Out Bag is your survival knife. I wrote more about this here: 7 Things You Should Consider before Choosing Your Survival Knife

7. Weapons

The fact of the matter is you are might be dealing with a “Without Rule of Law” situation, or close to it, and people are likely to do crazy things. Being prepared to defend yourself is part of the survivalist mindset.

Obviously a firearm of some sort is best for this. (Though not in all situations) I will not go into specifics about what type of gun you should bring because that is hotly debated and really a personal choice. Take what is comfortable to you.

Outside of guns your survival knife could be used as weapon if you had to. Also something as simple as a big walking stick or club can be a strong deterrent for bad guys. It’s all about giving yourself options.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I hope you don't mind me pimping my basic thread??

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nice thread Slayer.

Edit
Since this is the survival forum,any information is good information.
edit on 11-2-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

as much as i want a gueniune BOB i still havent made one. although i do keep survival stuff with in arms reach so it would take long to put one together, also i try and always carry the basics with me. i have a flint on my key chain as well as multi tools i always have my knife with me that has paricord wrapped handel i always have my gloves with me just it case and usally have my metal coffee cup. so an any given situation i have fire, abilty to store water, the the means to build shelter, and extra clothing.

however my bug out bag may just happen soon, i was doing some yard work for the parents(there getting old) and i noticed my dad cleaned out his garage, he trew away camping sleep pads, leather bags, book on archery, books on ham radios, i took them with me and now have perfect bag to get my bob started. good lookin out slayer

oh yeah in my tobbaco pouch i always carry a fist full of propulus, it was used in medievil time to stop bleeding and keep wounds clean. its a natural antibiotic/ anti fungal/ anti viral that is hard when cold, and goey when warm i think everyone should have some, its the stuff bees line there hives with.
edit on 11-2-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wow, really informative.. I am going to be getting these things ASAP..!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Considering how many threads have been done on this topic I didn't expect anything new but this does a better job of condensing the information than any I've seen yet.

Missing - compass/maps/multitool/optics/spare personal needs (prescriptions, eyeglasses, hearing aid batteries etc).
Field guide to wild edible plants of your area.

Eta: Ruger now makes a take-down version of their 10/22 rifle. Shame they don't make one in .22 wmr.
edit on 11-2-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Everyone should have a BOB, then the thinking shifted to Bug in kits wondering around is a fast track to getting yourself killed cause you don't know where to go.

IMO every kit should have a communication kit shortwave/ham radio, and means to recharge them.

When it comes to that there are a lot of products out there from Morphie, to goal zero and flexible solar charging.

Rechargable batteries like the enelop or lithium batteries both have long shelf lives.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I never really got around to making a BOB because I’m more of a “BUG IN” kinda guy!

The concept never really appealed to me because I don’t plan on leaving unless it's a last resort, and in that scenario I will be taking everything I can (it won’t fit in a couple of bags). Besides, I have nowhere to take my family that’s any more secure than our current location. I live in the country and I know my area inside and out for miles. I figure I have better odds bugging in and defending my home than fleeing to some unknown place with 2 kids.

I'm dug in...

Molôn Labé!!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'm not a "Hand Gun" guy. I prefer rifles.
More insidious if the situation warrants.

So, yeah...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
folding shovel, that’s all i can say.

you can do so much with a shovel. you can build a shelter, cut trees, use as a weapon, the list goes on.

you already covered it but a good water filter is a must!

First aid, with antibiotics, suture, hemostatic clamps, and bandages, all fits in a VERY compact baggy

edit on 11-2-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I am not a gun guy.....I can replace arrows,I can't replace ammunition.
I can make a bow and arrow,I can't make a gun and bullets in the woods.

Short term survival it works,long term not so good....I wouldn't even dream of carrying all that ammo in my pack as it might weigh more then i want to carry.

Knowledge weighs nothing.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Looks like I am going to have to add some things in. I have a lot of the stuff listed, but I'm going to have to add a few things here.

Great thread SLAYER. Thanks for heads up on it otherwise I may have missed it.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I am not a gun guy.....I can replace arrows,I can't replace ammunition.
I can make a bow and arrow,I can't make a gun and bullets in the woods.

Short term survival it works,long term not so good....I wouldn't even dream of carrying all that ammo in my pack as it might weigh more then i want to carry.

Knowledge weighs nothing.

That sounds good and all but…

Swords, knives, bow and arrows, etc just fall short in the real world.

Don't be "that guy."

edit on 11-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
That's nice to have a survival bag but I don't ever see anyone addressing how to deal with the roving gangs of thugs that you are going to run into.

Even escaping out into the forest your going to run across 100 other people doing the same thing and odds are its each man for himself.

Seems like a death sentence to just head out like that.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Its better then nothing.
When you have no ammo,what will you do??

I would want to eat and have something I can work with when ammo runs out.
I would rather know how to trap and replace my hunting weapons.(which I do)

What about you??

A movie clip is bs and not a true source,I hope you know that.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Some more simple home-made stuff

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
That's nice to have a survival bag but I don't ever see anyone addressing how to deal with the roving gangs of thugs that you are going to run into.

Even escaping out into the forest your going to run across 100 other people doing the same thing and odds are its each man for himself.

Seems like a death sentence to just head out like that.

E and E escape and evasion emphasis on evasion survival mode conflict is the last thing anyone wants.

With limited supplies.

ETA forgot its little brother C and C cover and concealment using your surroundings to your benefit, the cover of nite, and other things,
edit on 11-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Its better then nothing.
When you have no ammo,what will you do??

Reload….

I would want to eat and have something I can work with when ammo runs out.
I would rather know how to trap and replace my hunting weapons.
What about you??

You can trap and have a gun and a bow and arrow.

A movie clip is bs and not a true source,I hope you know that.

There is a reason swords and bow and arrow are no longer used on the field of battle.

I hope YOU know THAT.

Hey, to each his/her own. The video was just showing you why those weapons won't get you through the first few months of SHTF. If you survive the gangs then you'll have a reliable tool, no doubt!

edit on 11-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

This isn't the battlefield...its a SURVIVAL thread.
I hope YOU realize that.

I can survive in the woods without a gun as its not a battlefield.....can you?
If it WAS a battlefield my opinion might have a different spice....but its not.
Ever spend a week alone in the woods without a gun,I have.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by seabag

This isn't the battlefield...its a SURVIVAL thread.
I hope YOU realize that.

I can survive in the woods without a gun as its not a battlefield.....can you?
If it WAS a battlefield my opinion might have a different spice....but its not.
Ever spent a week alone in the woods without a gun,I have.

That is all fine and dandy but what bout the wildlife and the domesticated animals that haven't been fed in weeks?

Then of course there is Bears, and other predators that will need to be defended agianst.

Everyone needs some form of firearm hell even it is just a 12 gauge.

edit on 11-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Me and my family have a seaworthy sailboat so the whole thing is basically a B.O.B.

I feel sorry for those that are going to have to tough it out on land. I'm not sure I could handle that at all and would probably just give up and throw myself on the mercy of the nearest military guy I find.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join