The 7 Types of Gear you MUST have in your B.O.B.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Another thing - I'm a big fan of multiple use items. Why carry 3 when one will do? For instance, I keep 3 or 4 of the old rubberized GI ponchos around, They can be used for rain coats, as shelter (nothing like a poncho-hooch!
), and even as an outer skin for your sleeping bag to keep it dry while you snooze away. They don't take much space in my BOB... actually, they take NO space in it - I roll 'em and tie 'em to the outside with spare laces for my boots.

Likewise, while I have various hatchets and tomahawks and axes and knives, the implement that goes into my BOB is something along the lines of a short machete. It will work as a knife in a pinch (not recommended for skinning squirrels, though!) or as a hatchet for getting firewood. Added bonus: makes for a pretty intimidating weapon in a pinch.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by randyvs

It's one hell of a Bug too!

Ya ! Well I pull these suckers out of my turban all the time.

But that's my heads up Slayer repellent can be a blessing. Seriously !

Damned Zanti-bugs!

That's the only reason I own a hammer - killing them off. You know you're not going to catch me actually WORKING with that hammer!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Reminds me of my last Mother N law...

No comment or I'll have immediate need for my BOB...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I like the photo. It's a glamour bug out bag. Survival toys. It's for when you graduate Webelos. Look at that energy drink and the safety glasses.

You need a hacking blade, should your gun be confiscated close to a FEMA camp. You need a bandana to cover your face, or a scarf for tying up wounds. A blanket or a shawl-type garment, like a cloak. Even in the summer. A pocket watch that you can wind up. A pair of extra socks. A bar of soap would be great. Map would be important. Some jewels to barter with that can be hidden in places, better than gold that can be sensed with a metal detector. A canteen, not a liquor flask. A belt, for when you start starving.

I'm of the john titor type. Copy of the US Constitution. Maybe a Bible if you're Christian. A bicycle and a spare set of tires. 5 friends within 100 miles.

You can go exotic. A bullwhip like Indiana Jones. No metal to detect.

Think bum/hitchhiker. People would kill you for your goodie bag, just like thugs kill people for fancy shoes in bad cities today. Clothes on your back, a sleeping roll, a backpack. Don't think you're going to trek into the midwest and start hunting like a caveman; everybody is going to try that, and be caught by some camp-making soldier types.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
A small pressure cooker and 6' feet of copper tubing will make a still. The output is about 8 oz per hour, but mine was leaky.

Shaker flashlight needs no batteries. Its not very bright but you can see where to put your feet. Brightness can give you away anyhow, like the report of a high velocity gun can.

Optics can keep you out of trouble. When alot of snow is on the ground UV glasses are manditory.

A compressor bag for quick and dense storage of sleeping bag and clothes.

I vote for surgical tubing. I forgot about that one.

Lighters don't gassify when its cold, matches are more dependable, keep em dry.

The best calories per pound is fat. Nuts and seeds are the best load of food. Chew em till they're creamy butter before you swallow them. Might be good turkey bait also. Crush a few aromatic ones.

I've been looking for Kevlar thread and titanium anything. Never found Kevlar but some boating supplies offer titanium hooks and spikes. Appearently Kevlar is only used in prison industry, prisons make most if not all of the helmets, vests and BDUs that the government uses.

Question about anti-biotics, when they expire does that mean they are useless or that they are poisonous?
I wonder that about vitamins too, are old vitamins poisonous? Poisons usually gum up enzymes, seems like old non functional vitamins could do that too.

edit on 11-2-2013 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Question about anti-biotics, when they expire does that mean they are useless or that they are poisonous?

When they expire they expire there is some controversy surrounding expiration dates of medicine the safe bet is to follow the guidelines and do not use.

And for the love of god do not listen to those ignorant people telling others to buy fish antibiotics either.

When it comes to antibiotics go ask your physician not people here and if people want antibiotics for their kits follow the law.

Go ask your doctor the worse thing he can say is no the best thing is yes and fills an order just might be surprised and find a doctor sympathetic to your needs.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This has been the best flashlight I have found.It is the hand-crank flashlight
by energizer.It has a clip where you can attach it to a belt and it is very light
weight.The best part is that you don't waste space storing extra batteries.
My husband and I have one in each of our cars and two others in our home.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

When they expire they expire there is some controversy surrounding expiration dates of medicine the safe bet is to follow the guidelines and do not use.

And for the love of god do not listen to those ignorant people telling others to buy fish antibiotics either.

When it comes to antibiotics go ask your physician not people here and if people want antibiotics for their kits follow the law.

Go ask your doctor the worse thing he can say is no the best thing is yes and fills an order just might be surprised and find a doctor sympathetic to your needs.

As far as the expiry date I think a half life rule of thumb applies. The ones I've gotten in my life say that they are good for one year. So taking expired antibiotics in larger doses might get the job done. As long as they aren't poisonous.

I'll look for a good doctor, thanks.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
A hip flask, hey a little nip of the good stuff can be a just what you need to keep on going.

It's for medicinal purposes only I assure you

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but for those of us that are vision-impaired or have visually impaired children;

Extra pair of glasses.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That there is a ka-bar. Just dressed in bright green, it does come in handy in a low light situation not as easy to misplace in the woods. Made local by cutco they make some of the sharpest knifes I have ever seen, and durable. This is the zombie knives edition hence the toxic green, gotta have zombie gear.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by seabag

I wouldn’t put myself in that situation!

I do it for fun and learning and just a sense of peace...I deal with too much noise living in a big city.

I've been following your replies so far and I must say I agree with you DrumsRfun. Knowledge and in particular EXPERIENCE is much more valuable than stomping around the forest with a gun.

Any fool can point a gun at anything and pull the trigger, maybe they will hit something, maybe not. If that person solely relies on their gun/ammo that cannot be replaced, then what will that person do when their gun is no longer operational?

Even a better point, unless you have working knowledge and experience, bugging out into the forest (in a SHTF situation) ignorant and unknowing how to survive is probably a death sentence in itself, gun or not.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
One thing I've always carried with me in hunting backpack. Baby wipes. Sounds funny, but they are compact and cheap from the dollar store. Great to clean yourself up with.Come in handy for a quick wash if you can't get a shower for a few days.

Once they dry out, you can use them to start fires also.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but a can of tuna in oil makes for a great heat source. Punch a hole in the top and feed in a wick (can even be a shoelace). Light and cook. Or light and use for a light source.

Best part is, the tuna is still edible.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Mainstay food bars,salt,pepper,garlic salt, bulbs of fresh garlic, bullion cubes, Tomahawk, stainless collapsible cup,spoon,led flashlight and led head lamp, green 5mw pen laser, pepper spray, pocket knife, good pair of pliers,small survival weather radio, small solar cell battery charger, rechargeable batteries, small note pad, couple pencils with eraser, gallon ziplock plastic bags, aluminum foil,roll of duct tape, spool or spider wire and large sewing needles,bicycle inner-tube,magnesium fire starter bar, magnesium flashing signal fireworks 5 packs,bottle of tylonal, antacids,packs of chewing gum, kotex pads, band aids, neosporin, antihistamines,visine, tooth brush, bic razors, bic lighters, mycoanizol /antifungal agent,fishing hooks,lip balm,british military gortex boot liners,cotton wash rags, anti bacterial soap,, iodine,baby asperine, tictacs,teabags,crotch powder,cotton socks, flip flops,tick picker tweezers, mirror, sunglasses,magnifying glass,dog whistle, thermometer,timex hiking watch,camel back,water purifier,tetrasilver tetroxide/silspa disinfectant, ST37,oragel,gortex rain suit,balaclava,gloves,baby wipes,pantyhose,surgical gloves,shotgun shells, nails,tube of 4000 psi apoxy, or tube of amazing 6000,superglue or crazy glue,emergency blanket, pocket warmers,blow gun and darts, hemostats,diamond file,poncho,black plastic garbage bags,24"zipties....consolidate into its most smallest and ergonomic forms, and you are prepared
edit on 12-2-2013 by SPECULUM because: cuz i could

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Seven types of beer to have in your BOB sounds a lot better.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Semicollegiate

Kevlar thread

In general gear is not as important as experience. If you are really serious about preparing for these kinds of situations I would recommend taking some courses on escape and evasion. A decent tourniquet would rank high in importance and should be positioned on the outside of your bag. I like the headlamps with the red LED options.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yep I have three bags at any one time good stuff mate

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I'm calling it a night and just wanted to thank everybody who have replied thus far for staying on topic and providing very informative replies and for making this a pleasant read.

edit on 12-2-2013 by SLAYER69 because: spelling................

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Something crucial that most people dont cover is WHAT kind of environment are you planning for?

Most of these guides are north american, based on wooded areas that get cold in winter. Really the BOB should be completely different if heading into say, a desert/drought stricken area like here where I am.

EG a water purifier is not going to be much use, since there is no water. Some gear to capture water (via condensation/etc) would be a good replacement.. and just bigger stocks of water being carried. the extra weight offset by no need for warm clothing/blankets/heavy waterproof boots. I'd recommend something lightweight and breathable for footwear in the heat. good ankle support is still necessary of course.

etc ,etc.. so if you read one of these guides, dont just go out and buy the list..

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join