It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 7 Types of Gear you MUST have in your B.O.B.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Good thread
I keep a axe in my vehicle for emergencies, never know when you might need to chop something
For my B.O.B. I have a Spetnaz entrenching tool. Folds nice and has a nice place on my rucksack. I also keep some dryer lint in a small pill bottle for fire starting, that stuff works real well for starting a fire. Ohh yea some fishing line, some hooks and a bit of dried corn can get you some food real quick and not just fish! Place the corn on the hooks on the fishing line and leave it out for some avian fellows to come and have a nibble. They get the hooks stuck in em and you got some bird for dinner.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
As per special request...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is probably about the most useful thing I use.
I store Tobacco, fishing/suture kits and everything else that I don't want squished in them...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Neat and all pretty compact. What is the red object above the zip ties? I can't quite make out what it is! Although I see your decoder ring is in there
A hip flask, hey a little nip of the good stuff can be a just what you need to keep on going. Seems like you have quite the set up!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

2 posts above yours,he made it a bigger picture.....click that.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I've posted this before in BOB topics so I might as well add it here as well. Everyone should have in their BOB's a 2-3 foot section of surgical/rubber tubing. It can be used as a syphon, tournequet, makeshift snare or any number of things. Very handy and weighs next to nothing.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
As per special request...

Didn't see the most important piece of a bug out kit-TP!!!!

Must have has multiple uses too.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Slay you gotta add one of these....

www.vestergaard-frandsen.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I normally shy away from new products but that one seems like a very useful item to have.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

For $20, the LifeStraw looks like a good buy (especially considering its $20 USD
).

Oo. Also a good gift idea.

edit on 2/11/2013 by yubiaden because: derrrrrrrppp spelling

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well my parents have that equiptment and they are fully set up to fish. I've seen them try it out, its an osmosis unit or whatever the high pressure distiller thing is.

The problem though is that it requires chemicals and power to run which really wouldn't last that long so they have set up a solar salt-water distiller which doesn't produce as much but will work just fine.

They also have enough supplies to get way out to sea, out of range of fueled ships so we should be good once we are there. Getting there, ahead of the hijackers would be the only problem.

Kind of why I am here on this site, so I have a heads up when its time for us to bug out.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
These have both been on the market for at least the last 4 years I believe:

truprep.com...

There are reviews on youtube for that one:

and this one:

www.calquakeinlandempire.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
A desert environment survival must item is a shemag...Arab head scarf.
Yes, you will look like Al Queda terrorist but you will survive heat, wind, sand and direct sun.
It was featured in the recent Dual Survival espisode where Joe was stuck in an abandoned gold mine in extreme desert terrain. They both wore a shemag the entire show.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
That's nice to have a survival bag but I don't ever see anyone addressing how to deal with the roving gangs of thugs that you are going to run into.

Even escaping out into the forest your going to run across 100 other people doing the same thing and odds are its each man for himself.

Seems like a death sentence to just head out like that.

You hide. You don't engage, you HIDE.

I have serious doubts that many people will escape to the forest, and even MORE serious doubts that most of them will survive for very long. Most of the people who bail out to the woods will get there, sit around a few hours, then say "now what?". They will have starved to death or succumbed to the elements before long. You just have to out-hide and out-wait them.

Hiding may not be very glamorous, manly, or Rambo-ish, but it presents a far better outlook for survival. There are LOTS of rabbits out there, because they can hid really well. Not so many bears, wolves, or lions...

I prefer being a live chicken to being a dead hero.

Another thought is HOW you are even going to get to the woods to begin with. All of those other folks you mention headed that way have the same considerations. Most will take roads - which are nothing but game trails for the packs of predatory humans you mention.

Predators exist in the ecosystem to thin out the herd. Stay off the game trails.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Well I grew up in the desert basically and I could survive out there where most probably couldn't. I don't even need supplies as I know what to do without anything.

Still your going to have a cramped area for a few weeks I'd imagine until people start thinning out for any number of reasons so its that time that is the most crucial.

Your absolutely right that hiding would be the best option but as you've mentioned, that is easier said than done.

I kind of image it will be like the Hunger Games where all the kids are rushing for one spot at the beginning and killing each other until only a few get a way or overpower the other ones.

Terrifying thought no matter what. Lets just hope none of us ever have to experience it.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by seabag

This isn't the battlefield...its a SURVIVAL thread.
I hope YOU realize that.

I can survive in the woods without a gun as its not a battlefield.....can you?
If it WAS a battlefield my opinion might have a different spice....but its not.
Ever spent a week alone in the woods without a gun,I have.

That is all fine and dandy but what bout the wildlife and the domesticated animals that haven't been fed in weeks?

Then of course there is Bears, and other predators that will need to be defended agianst.

Everyone needs some form of firearm hell even it is just a 12 gauge.

Well hell, they're "what's fer dinner"! You can eat them, too, just as easily as they can eat YOU. Of course, shooting them might just draw too much attention to yourself, attention of the unwanted variety. I'm with DrumsRfun on this one - nothing like pinning them to the ground with a sharp stick for a while to get them ready to skin without having everyone in the neighborhood come to investigate and share - or take it away from you.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

My home state made it legal to "hunt with supressors" so.........and I don't eat dog or human,.

and pretty sure there are no bears here in southern indiana.
edit on 11-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

The desert would eat me. I don't care for them much, but if that's where you can make it, that's where you go. Scope out an unlikely spot now, before it gets ugly, and it will be there when you need it. By "unlikely", I mean one that no one else will be interested in. There are lots of places around where you can make it, but folks looking at them for the first time don't believe it, and will pass them up. If no one else wants your non-prime location, it minimizes the threat of turf wars.

If you scope the area out beforehand, you know what you'll need in your bug out bag to make life bearable there. That's going to vary with location.

You can always claim a "more likely" spot later, in a few months, when the herd has thinned out...

edit on 2013/2/11 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Agree!

Very nice indeed.

Portable.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

My home state made it legal to "hunt with supressors" so.........and I don't eat dog or human,.

and pretty sure there are no bears here in southern indiana.
edit on 11-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Well, if you ain't gonna eat that, can I have it?

I've eaten some ungodly things. You'd be amazed what you'll eat when it comes right down to eating or dying.

I don't think the legality of hunting with suppressors will much enter my thought process in a survival situation. Laws get a mite fuzzy at that point. Still, I've used suppressors before, and don't much relish the idea of giving my position away in that sort of scenario. I know what they sound like, and how far they can carry. The best one I ever used was integral into a .22 rifle. It did a great job for the shot, but you could still hear the bolt clacking back and forth, and even that will draw attention. Most of them only reduce the noise, so what you get is a quiet gunshot, but a gunshot all the same. That's gonna draw attention.

In the matter of wildlife, my situation is different than yours. I DO have bears here. Yes, I know how to kill 'em without a gun if I need to. Guns make it easier - until the whole neighborhood comes to investigate the party.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join