The 7 Types of Gear you MUST have in your B.O.B.

page: 2
71
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun
 



This isn't the battlefield...its a SURVIVAL thread.

I hope YOU realize that.

If you think the collapse of society will be like a camping trip then…I don’t know what to tell ya!



I can survive in the woods without a gun as its not a battlefield.....can you?

I wouldn’t put myself in that situation!





If it WAS a battlefield my opinion might have a different spice....but its not.
Ever spend a week alone in the woods without a gun,I have.

I can’t say that I have…it makes no sense to do so IMO.


edit on 11-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96
 


A bow and arrows that you can replace....you don't need a gun.
People for thousands of years had no guns and survived just fine and ate well.
These are skills that are being lost hence why I am saying what I am saying...thats how it was done before we got to this point.

I am sorry to Slayer for making this more advanced then sticking to the basics and hope no one is butthurt about my replies.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag
 





I wouldn’t put myself in that situation!



I do it for fun and learning and just a sense of peace...I deal with too much noise living in a big city.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Keeping with the Back to the Basics Theme...



ETA:

edit on 11-2-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by neo96
 


A bow and arrows that you can replace....you don't need a gun.
People for thousands of years had no guns and survived just fine and ate well.
These are skills that are being lost hence why I am saying what I am saying...thats how it was done before we got to this point.

I am sorry to Slayer for making this more advanced then sticking to the basics and hope no one is butthurt about my replies.


How well does that bow and arrow do agianst multiple threats?

Pack of hungry humans or dogs?



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Me and my family have a seaworthy sailboat so the whole thing is basically a B.O.B.

I feel sorry for those that are going to have to tough it out on land. I'm not sure I could handle that at all and would probably just give up and throw myself on the mercy of the nearest military guy I find.


Do you have desalination equipment?

That would be pretty sweet. I've thought about that. As long as there are no pirates it might be smooth sailing (pun intended).


You'd also have to resupply once in a while in strange places. There's a lot to think about with your scenario.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Then of course there is Bears, and other predators that will need to be defended agianst.


Unless you are carrying some above average firearms, I would rather use a knife against most NA predators.

With a knife, I can make a solid spear, and have a hope of surviving against a bear.

Most bear hunters are using .44 calibre and up. Most BOB are .357 calibre and down.

To everybody in NA, remember, the vast majority of our apex predators attack from top down.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by seabag
 





I wouldn’t put myself in that situation!



I do it for fun and learning and just a sense of peace...I deal with too much noise living in a big city.


More power to you!


Good luck in a SHTF scenario if that's your plan though. People with guns may follow you around and take your kill because....really....what are you going to do about it?



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69
 


Speaking of suture kits people need to be weary of those they see for 20 bucks.

Kits like from Adventure medical is preferable as the stainless steel in those cheap ones can cause infection.
edit on 11-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420
 



Unless you are carrying some above average firearms, I would rather use a knife against most NA predators.


BAHHHHahahahha!


Let me visualize that for a minute….



HELL NO!!!


I’d like to see you take down a bear with your knife! Could you make a demonstration video and post it on youtube?

BEAR GRYLLS!! IS THAT YOU?



edit on 11-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420
 


Well I prefer to have my options open and to be as flexible carry a couple of knives both fixed and folders and GUNS.

In a shtf or survival scenario it is best to have multiple means of protection on you because things are going to come regardless.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag
 


I never told you my plans.


Beware of DrumsRfun is all I can say....i have pretty good plans with 3 other people.
I have learned as much as i can and am still trying to learn,hence why I love this forum.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by peck420
 


Well I prefer to have my options open and to be as flexible carry a couple of knives both fixed and folders and GUNS.

In a shtf or survival scenario it is best to have multiple means of protection on you because things are going to come regardless.


This we agree on.

My firearms are all small calibre. They are useful for humans, and small game, but pretty useless on any predators for anything outside of deterrence, and quite frankly, I won't have enough ammo to waste on deterrence from animals.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by seabag
 


I never told you my plans.


Beware of DrumsRfun is all I can say....i have pretty good plans with 3 other people.
I have learned as much as i can and am still trying to learn,hence why I love this forum.




Fair enough...

Neither have I.


I hope your super-secret plan involves a couple firearms....for your sake.

Maybe I'll go get a bow just to cover more bases!

{edit to add - My father-in-law recently killed his first bear with a cross bow. 150lb black bear. It can be done but that's not my style. I need something that makes a big boom. I like to locate, close with and destroy my enemy with fire and maneuver and repel the enemies assault with fire and close combat (Slayer69 has heard that). There is something to be said about overkill...and it's rarely a regret.
}
edit on 11-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
What about maps and guides? There are some good guides on edible foods out there that would benefit in survival. Are these not needed for a basic bob?


 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod
 


Great point.
One should familiarize themselves with their surrounding terrain before hand.
Egress routes etc...



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by peck420
 



Unless you are carrying some above average firearms, I would rather use a knife against most NA predators.


BAHHHHahahahha!


Let me visualize that for a minute….



HELL NO!!!


I’d like to see you take down a bear with your knife! Could you make a demonstration video and post it on youtube?

BEAR GRYLLS!! IS THAT YOU?


edit on 11-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)


I would like to see you take down a charging bear with less than a .44?

Most well trained marksmen have trouble hitting a bobbing and weaving target travelling at 35+ mph, but you are the exception?

Yea right. I will stick with the method Native Americans have been using for a couple thousand years.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420
 


Like I said...

Video or it didn't happen.

BTW- Indians were defeated with what? GUNS?
edit on 11-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420
 


Native Americans?

If they had more guns they would not be living on reservations.



posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I love having a firearms with me but usually when I go into the woods I go without and since I started. Doing that it seems I've gotten more creative about how I approach things food defense etc. I have a couple firearms and enough ammo for now but I still like to try without makes it super interesting , now if I just had more time to spend in the woods lol





new topics
top topics
 
71
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join