It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on earth is living proof Extraterrestials exists.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by beautyofperil

The only problem i always had with Aliens is that people claim they are on earth.... out of those billions and billions of stars and planets, they decided earth was the destination? to draw patterns on crops and take anal samples?

Of course ET exist. Somewhere, most likely microorganism or at early stage of life...small possibility that they are advanced...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

A nit-pick (and a poor one at that) does not change my mind, especially since your wrong, if you cannot comprehend the information gathered than I am at loss. But here goes.

So does it not seem plausible that you are living proof life develops here and elsewhere as well, I think it does and so should you.

I obviously firmly believe this and feel that I should spread the knowledge I've acquired to individuals who are not aware of such things. Well I did leave room for the chance I was wrong, you do not however prove I am.

Do you think a UFO is an alien?

Do you?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
OP --

You are right. Life almost certainly exists elsewhere in the universe. However, I'm not sure who you are trying to convince.

Practically all people with even a moderate amount of education understand the scale of the universe already and what that means for life elsewhere. Science already understands this. Practically all scientists believe in life elsewhere, as well as practically all other people who understand the scale of the universe believe that ET life must almost surely exist.

edit on 2/5/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

So does it not seem plausible that you are living proof

Just quote that part to ask you seem like your not sure if you ask if its plausible about anything if its proof.

Its proof of what it is that humans inhabit planet earth, is not proof but opens a case of evidence for intelligent life to exist elsewhere, proof maybe in your view but not the shared realty we all share.

Your OP does not rebuke anything only strengthens the fact you brought up evidence not proof.

because the universe exists... is composed of atoms (see periodic table), we exist in it,, and are composed of atoms... on a planet ,,, around a star ,, in a galaxy ( see OP for numbers of stars)... It is a statistical certainty that the universe is capable of producing life (see us for example).. and I would even go so far as to posit if any, a purpose to the existence of this universe is creating what we know of as life..., oh, and if thats not enough.. in our galaxy alone (one of 200 billion or so in the universe (we can only view a smidgen of the universe so in all reality there may be trillions of galaxies)) it is estimated that there are hundreds of millions of earth like planets..

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Any and all non-believers to answer your question.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by beautyofperil

A nit-pick (and a poor one at that) does not change my mind, especially since your wrong, if you cannot comprehend the information gathered than I am at loss. But here goes.

So does it not seem plausible that you are living proof life develops here and elsewhere as well, I think it does and so should you.

I obviously firmly believe this and feel that I should spread the knowledge I've acquired to individuals who are not aware of such things. Well I did leave room for the chance I was wrong, you do not however prove I am.

Do you?

What a waste of time,

As soon as I see your wild assumptions about me trying to change your mind, me being wrong, pointing out the fact you have great evidence not proof (of something I believe as well), so why would I be changing your mind?
If you cannot comprehend the info you supplied is evidence and not proof, it doesn't matter if you "firmly believe this" all I'm doing is spreading the knowledge I acquired to individuals who are not aware of such things as evidence and proof are not the same.

Sorry to waste yours and my time

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I meant no offense, but if that is how you feel... well than I hope in the future you will choose your battles more wisely if you do not like to lose.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This never gets old, does it?

Speculation is not proof. 'Logical' inference is not proof. Evidence is not proof. Conjecture is not proof.

Let's say you're walking down the street and see an envelope. You pick it up and open it and lo and behold, therein is Lou Gehrig's 1933 Big League Chewing Gum baseball card currently valued at approximately $275,000. Nice score.

What's the likelihood any other envelope you see lying around would contain similar or equivalent, much less identical item? After all, it happened once so that's 'proof' it'll happen again, right?

Maybe it could, maybe it won't. But that's not a guarantee, or proof. 'Past performance is no guarantee of future results'. You may want to bet that way, and you may even be right. But 'proof' it is not.

And if you think it is, please stay away from mutual fund salesmen.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Well I can respect your pov, my logic is that "WE" are life in the universe and that "WE" are living proof it is possible. And the numbers back my claim.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Exactly , anyone who thinks that because its happened once that it MUST happen again doesn't understand , the mathematics of probability or even simple scientific principals. Probability guarantees nothing..that's simple mathematics, i feel sorry for anyone who cant understand that.

I hope it does exist out there somewhere but at the moment all we have are hopes and guesses.

All life on this planet that we have ever observed has come from a single cell. We have never found life that doesnt fit into our family tree. All it would take is the discovery of anything (naturally developed) on or off our planet that doesn't fit into that tree and we could start to calculate how likely alien life is elsewhere in the universe. We have been looking for quite some time now and there is nothing to report yet. So at this point in time we cant even calculate a 'probability' of life happening elsewhere..and that's a fact!

But we will always keep on looking. Finger crossed.

edit on 5-2-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

"WE" are living proof it is possible.

No argument from me there. It's possible. There's an extremely large gap between 'possible' and 'proof', tho. No?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Speculation is not proof. 'Logical' inference is not proof. Evidence is not proof. Conjecture is not proof.

Let's say you're walking down the street and see an envelope. You pick it up and open it and lo and behold, therein is Lou Gehrig's 1933 Big League Chewing Gum baseball card currently valued at approximately $275,000. Nice score.

What's the likelihood any other envelope you see lying around would contain similar or equivalent, much less identical item? After all, it happened once so that's 'proof' it'll happen again, right?

Maybe it could, maybe it won't. But that's not a guarantee, or proof. 'Past performance is no guarantee of future results'. You may want to bet that way, and you may even be right. But 'proof' it is not.

im not sure the philosopher or mathematician or scientist.. but it ended up being stated and proven (lol) that nothing could be proven... then is this an argument of semantics? the word proof equaling a concept that can never be fulfilled.. there can only be near certainties and most likelies and high probabilities and potentials? Id rather think that is the case, because you cant prove the core of the earth isnt made of jelly beans and that there isnt an invisible dragon right above your head right now... but we can use logic, reason, statistics, and laws to determine scenarios that are more likely, and most likely... the argument put forth in the OP is a case that is most likely... there is no proof just like there is no proof there is an invisible dragon above your head.. but we can use our reason and logic and science to put forth the most likely scenario...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

So does it not seem plausible that you are living proof

Just quote that part to ask you seem like your not sure if you ask if its plausible about anything if its proof.

Its proof of what it is that humans inhabit planet earth, is not proof but opens a case of evidence for intelligent life to exist elsewhere, proof maybe in your view but not the shared realty we all share.

Your OP does not rebuke anything only strengthens the fact you brought up evidence not proof.

because the universe exists... is composed of atoms (see periodic table), we exist in it,, and are composed of atoms... on a planet ,,, around a star ,, in a galaxy ( see OP for numbers of stars)... It is a statistical certainty that the universe is capable of producing life (see us for example).. and I would even go so far as to posit if any, a purpose to the existence of this universe is creating what we know of as life..., oh, and if thats not enough.. in our galaxy alone (one of 200 billion or so in the universe (we can only view a smidgen of the universe so in all reality there may be trillions of galaxies)) it is estimated that there are hundreds of millions of earth like planets..

And how is that proof?

Do not get me wrong and start throwing names around like believer or non-believer because I have not stated many of my beliefs only some on these boards of ATS, If people want to go around talking proof there's no need for belief.
Its good to discuss if one wishes, all I'm saying is if you believe it to be proof, fine, my beliefs about extraterrestrials are similar to the OPs in believing they exist somewhere because that's all I the info I can get on what they believe out of their OP and the numbers they supply and info is good if not great evidence, not proof.

But yeah as the OP says I'm just nit-picking

Sorry, I see proof in title and always salivate even though I know the evidence presented will always be a personal proof to the one presenting.
How many thread titles about aliens has Proof in them? please understand my frustration or nit-picking

sorry once again

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I meant no offense, but if that is how you feel... well than I hope in the future you will choose your battles more wisely if you do not like to lose.

Do you understand the difference between evidence and proof?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
An attempt at an example.

say you were suddenly taken outside of the universe and had your memory wiped... time in the universe was paused,, and from where you are you can see billions and billions of galaxies... from this point you are given the composition of the universe and the laws of physics...you are shown how atoms are made, and can react chemically, and you are also shown that under certain conditions and variables atoms can form complex molecules and do what we know of as biology.. you are then shown a zoomed in image of one planet that has had life arise on it... and then you are zoomed back out to your view of the entire universe... you are then told that you must give an answer to the question.. without seeing proof of this biological occurrence on any other planet,, but only using your inference and a best guess, would you say there might be life on another planet other then the one you were shown, in the universe? What would be the more logical answer?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

but we can use our reason and logic and science to put forth the most likely scenario...

Yes we can. Just don't call it proof.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

im not sure the philosopher or mathematician or scientist.. but it ended up being stated and proven (lol) that nothing could be proven... then is this an argument of semantics? the word proof equaling a concept that can never be fulfilled.. there can only be near certainties and most likelies and high probabilities and potentials? Id rather think that is the case, because you cant prove the core of the earth isnt made of jelly beans and that there isnt an invisible dragon right above your head right now... but we can use logic, reason, statistics, and laws to determine scenarios that are more likely, and most likely... the argument put forth in the OP is a case that is most likely... there is no proof just like there is no proof there is an invisible dragon above your head.. but we can use our reason and logic and science to put forth the most likely scenario...

So then someone would have a theory ,

How does a theory get proven?

How does one come by the proof required to validate their theory?

The theory of ET life is not "possible" everything and anything is possible in this universe,
Its actually highly probable as the numbers show, look at us, that is great evidence with the the numbers we come up with. But its not proof, not until humanity experiences contact with extraterrestrials.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Yes indeed in this case especially and what I've put forth is a very good point with supporting universal language to show that not only proof has been in front of and everything in between of everyone wishing for it the whole time, it also goes to show that no matter the cause there is always a need for a puppy with a long face for people who will not apply simple mathematics to make them wrong.

Simple Mathematics: 1(life on planet earth)+1(Undebunked numerous accounts)+1(Good point) so we now have 3, so now take that 3 and add plenty of zeros

Example: 3000000000000000000000000

Now divide that by 1(life on planet earth) and you get the same number. Meaning my point and case is correct because there isn't 0 life on planet earth.

And what do you get if times it by 1? Exactly the same answer. No where in my theory can you apply a 0 to equate by.

The possibilities, likelyhood or however you would like to put it are endless so to say that in endless posibilities we are the only life out there is completely absurd and closed minded.

Another point being we are the same race who once firmly believed the planet was flat and killed for it, ya like I will listen to the masses on this one, take it from someone this alien to you in this sense that proof is just a walk to the mirror away.
edit on 5-2-2013 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think people have a hard time imagining something unique happening in a universe so large. Life happening on our planet just might be unique.

Think about it this way:

Do you think that somewhere in the universe there is another person exactly the same as you who speaks the same language and has had and will have the exact life doing and saying everything you ever have said or will say?

The idea is quite absurd. So this is an example of unique things happening in a universe as large as ours is. Everything you ever have done or do is unique. So that's trillions upon trillions of unique events throughout your life time ..and thats just for you , a single person. Multiply that by everyone and everything that has ever lived on this planet and you will get a number that's probably larger than all the known stars in the universe. All of these events totally unique even in a universe as large as ours. So life beginning on this planet might just be one of those unique events, no matter how much we want it not to be true. Unique events happen all the time.

I hope there's life out there but we cant even begin to calculate a probability at this stage, even if we could there's no such thing a guarantee. A better understanding of simple mathematics in statistics and probability will help you to understand this. At the moment you logic is fatally flawed.

edit on 5-2-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

So you want to waste more time I see. Marvelous! To answer your question, yes I do. Does my thread you participate in now not show you how valid my claim is and that proof no matter what anybody else thinks is overrated on this subject?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join