It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on earth is living proof Extraterrestials exists.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

Originally posted by draknoir2
My position has always been and remains that the subject line of this thread is not a valid statement.

It's that simple and that complex.

I understand your line of thought. Ignorant until proven otherwise. and you are the judge of your own proof, so in the end you are always right and free to believe whatever you want or not believe anything.

This forum needs a facepalm icon.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

My position has always been and remains that the subject line of this thread is not a valid statement.

It's that simple and that complex.

I understand your line of thought. Ignorant until proven otherwise. and you are the judge of your own proof, so in the end you are always right and free to believe whatever you want or not believe anything.

This forum needs a facepalm icon.

So out of all I just wrote to you thats what you decided to respond to? facepalm indeed.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brighter
reply to post by ImaFungi

Excellent post!

I posted way back here regarding the irrational demand for 'proof' in general. Evidence and proof are concepts better tailored to this issue.

Maybe you need to talk to the Original Poster since the title of thread is "Life on earth is living proof Extraterrestials exists." Life on earth is only proof of life on earth. Yes, I think life exists in the universe-I think the majority posting in the thread also think that. But since the OP used the word "proof," it's not an irrational demand to ask for it. Not odds, chance, probability or mathematical statistics. Odds are in his/her favor, but they are only odds. Not proof.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

Maybe you need to talk to the Original Poster since the title of thread is "Life on earth is living proof Extraterrestials exists." Life on earth is only proof of life on earth. Yes, I think life exists in the universe-I think the majority posting in the thread also think that. But since the OP used the word "proof," it's not an irrational demand to ask for it. Not odds, chance, probability or mathematical statistics. Odds are in his/her favor, but they are only odds. Not proof.

Here's the main reference to 'proof' in the original post:

So that makes 300 sextillion (probably still under exaggerated number) x ?????? might as well call it infinite.
So does it not seem plausible that you are living proof life develops here and elsewhere as well, I think it does and so should you.

The problem is with their colloquial use of "proof" in "you are living proof". You have to work a little to reconstruct what their intended use was.

What they were attempting to describe is a thought experiment in which you're asked to imagine a certain universe full of planets revolving around suns. You are shown a small handful of those planets, one of which is absolutely teeming with life. You're then told that there are 300 sextillion other suns in this universe. You're then invited to guess at the likelihood that at least one of those 300 sextillion other suns contains a planet with life. This is just a thought experiment. Then you're supposed to realize that this is actually a description of our current situation, and that you yourself are one of those billions of lifeforms on that one planet. So you've become a part of a living 'premise'. That's the sense in which "you are living proof". You're supposed to be the living analog of an abstract premise from an inductive proof.

This is a well-known argument. It's an inductive proof, where a proof is a series of premises that lead to a conclusion.

And "you are living proof" is a well-known idiom. It's intended to drive a point home by placing yourself within the living analog to an inductive proof.

So their use of the word 'proof' does not refer to direct, empirical proof. They're using it more in the sense of 'you're part of an inductive proof,' or 'you're part of a logical proof'.

So there is more than one way to use the word 'proof'. These are called 'homonyms'.

This is why I do think it's irrational to demand empirical 'proof' from the OP. Furthermore, they more or less tell you that they don't have empirical proof right in their original post when they say that they don't have "substantial evidence in a pic form". So why ask for something they just admitted they don't have?

edit on 15-2-2013 by Brighter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by beautyofperil

The beings which live in inner earth are agarthans. Shembellah is the capital, another famous city is telos. I hope that helps my friends

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by frenzy4444

That is solid far out and right on man, thanks.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Proof is just a thought outside the box away for you.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by draknoir2

Listen if you did not succeed where others have in accepting the evidence provided as proof, there is no need to keep going on and on and on like this.

If you ever have a party under that rock of yours though be sure and invite me as I would really like to know what it is like to be surrounded by grown ups thinking like children in their tiny little box.

*facepalms* "o no! Now you will think I actually want to be invited"
edit on 16-2-2013 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by beautyofperil
reply to post by draknoir2

Listen if you did not succeed where others have in accepting the evidence provided as proof, there is no need to keep going on and on and on like this.

If you ever have a party under that rock of yours though be sure and invite me as I would really like to know what it is like to be surrounded by grown ups thinking like children in their tiny little box.

*facepalms* "o no! Now you will think I actually want to be invited"
edit on 16-2-2013 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

I did, in fact succeed where others have in NOT accepting your three-tiered layer cake of evidence [earth has life, universe is big, look at this puppy] as proof of anything beyond the existence of life on earth.

You're invited to the party so long as someone else brings the cake.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by inj3ct0r
Of course Aliens exist.
Just because we cannot prove it does not mean that it does not exist.
If it was not proven that Gravity exists we would have thought that it does not exist.

Whether you're ok with calling bacteria or other microorganisms "aliens" is up to you, though.

edit on 5-2-2013 by inj3ct0r because: (no reason given)

funny you should mention that. www.abovetopsecret.com... You that that humans get most of our rna from viruses right

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join