It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on earth is living proof Extraterrestials exists.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by ImaFungi
statistically impossible for activity like life not to exist on other planets in the universe..

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Do you draw a distinction between 'statistically impossible' and 'impossible'? If so what is it?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

impossible can be a redneck saying his favorite football team losing is impossible... statistically impossible usually refers to numbers, variables, math, odds, statistics

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Seriously? Ok then, I see where we are. Thanks for playing. I'll leave y'all to your whatever this is.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

So your sticking with your assumption?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

The Drake equation is proof of nothing as we don't know the numbers to use for the variables.

this is from the wiki article you linked :

fl = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life

there is no evidence for abiogenesis occurring more than once on the Earth—that is, all terrestrial life stems from a common origin. If abiogenesis were more common it would be speculated to have occurred more than once on the Earth. Scientists have searched for this by looking for bacteria that are unrelated to other life on Earth, but none have been found yet. It is also possible that life arose more than once, but that other branches were out-competed, or died in mass extinctions, or were lost in other ways. Biochemists Francis Crick and Leslie Orgel laid special emphasis on this uncertainty: "At the moment we have no means at all of knowing" whether we are "likely to be alone in the galaxy (Universe)" or whether "the galaxy may be pullulating with life of many different forms.

All the numbers for the variables after fl can not be filled in so its useless. So the Drake equation is not valid proof of anything in this argument. Its just mental masturbation..

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by beautyofperil

and with that post - you have sucessfully refuted your own premise, statastical improbability is not proof

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Ok you win... this planet is the only planet in the universe with life... that is most likely true... it makes a lot of sense and the numbers back it up... it also makes me feel very special (bonus).. I cant believe God wasted all that time and energy/matter on making the entire universe when he just had to make one solar system.. what an idiot

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Are you not applying the same principles to your standing as you are to mine?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Ok you win... this planet is the only planet in the universe with life... that is most likely true... it makes a lot of sense and the numbers back it up... it also makes me feel very special (bonus).. I cant believe God wasted all that time and energy/matter on making the entire universe when he just had to make one solar system.. what an idiot

Yet again you misunderstand. Im not saying life does not exist out there, im saying there is no guarantee based on probability or current findings. There has been nothing that can even lead us to produce a numerical probability of it existing at this time.

This does not mean we have to stop searching for the evidence both here on earth or out there in space.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Please see OP for more than evidence.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

reply to post by InhaleExhale

Can you answer this question... I agree we dont have proof ( in the same way you dont have proof the core of the earth is not made of unicorns pooping jelly beans) , but this example I offer is an almost exact analogy of the situation we are in.... Im not asking for proof.. im asking for your thoughts using logic, reason, ration, data, laws, math..

say you were suddenly taken outside of the universe and had your memory wiped... time in the universe was paused,, and from where you are you can see billions and billions of galaxies... from this point you are given the composition of the universe and the laws of physics...you are shown how atoms are made, and can react chemically, and you are also shown that under certain conditions and variables atoms can form complex molecules and do what we know of as biology.. you are then shown a zoomed in image of one planet that has had life arise on it... and then you are zoomed back out to your view of the entire universe... you are then told that you must give an answer to the question.. without seeing proof of this biological occurrence on any other planet,, but only using your inference and a best guess, would you say there might be life on another planet other then the one you were shown, in the universe? What would be the more logical answer?

Um, my answer would be a question, are reading every post or selectively choosing and missing some?

in 3 of 8 of my posts in this short thread I have stated I believe or its actually highly probable extra terrestrial life to exist, so my logical answer is as asked and why you worded that question as a description of a you tube video narrated by Carl Sagan and how that has anything to do with proof when that would be just my belief?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Yet again you misunderstand. Im not saying life does not exist out there, im saying there is no guarantee based on probability or current findings. There has been nothing that can even lead us to produce a numerical probability of it existing at this time.

This does not mean we have to stop searching for the evidence both here on earth or out there in space.

If you will agree that its a binary/yes or no sort of thing... Yes extra terrestrial life exists... or No it does not...
that means that there is an answer... an aspect of truth about reality....

without proof... using the data and the mind you have.... what do you think the answer is... what is more likely? most probable? Yes or No.... I dont want to hear anything but an answer to that question... from the nature of my responses thus far you know I would bet a million dollars if I had it, on Yes.... what about you if you had to choose?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

all i see in the OP is incorrect assumptions based on a flawed understanding of maths and probability and a youtube video that was incorrectly posted as well.

Please see any of my other posts in this thread to maybe learn why large numbers don't guarantee anything in the face of insufficient evidence.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I put alot more out than you ever did. Debunk "us" you debunk me. Until than refrain from false accusations as it has been tried and failed.
edit on 5-2-2013 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

no - as i am not claiming " proof "

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I believe there are millions - billions and zillions of planets which harbor life . Somewhere there may be planets which have people just like us .

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

there is no evidence in your OP only supposition : do you know what proof is ?

PS - statistical implausibility is NOT proof

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by beautyofperil
reply to post by Xaphan

I star your response simply because you rock, thanks man!
edit on 5-2-2013 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

You also get another star for being from B.C. lol

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Ok if your so sure, than where is your proof I am wrong? I revealed to you quite clearly if I may add that we are living proof.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

That is awesome! B.C. is awesome and again your awesome!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

reply to post by yeahright

Now you just do not want to give me credit, correct?

Credit for what, being wrong?

Ok if your so sure, than where is your proof I am wrong? I revealed to you quite clearly if I may add that we are living proof.

The burden of proof lies with you, and you cannot prove anything can you? Because WE exist does not automatically mean anything like us HAS to exist anywhere else.

I feel great about being UNIQUE.
edit on 5/2/2013 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join