It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

56 billion in foreign aid while Americans sleep on the street

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by angellicview
I couldn't agree with you more!

Now, where shall we get started?

People should be marching in the streets in every city. Yet they are not. Why?

I don't get it.

the people are too entertained and drugged, also mainstream media does not talk about this subject so out of sight out of mind, but yes millions are struggling..

heh, i need to find an income asap too, i have rent and children...praying for miracles..

if there is anything i can do to change the system i will, i do what i can...

just keep on sharing truth and eventually we will all wake up and do something about it...

i guess make whatever changes you can..

we are all family, all brothers and sisters...lets help each other

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Heisenberg59

I'm shocked hasn't everyone heard now that things are getting better i mean businesses are making record profits

That being said there will always be homeless folks due to choice or bad choices not saying that people don't deserve help and I help if and when I can I don't give money to anyone but ill buy you lunch or groceries or give a ride to work if it helps, however there are several people who I have done things for that are in their situation because of constantly making bad choices so I just don't help them anymore because you can't help someone who won't help themselves.

P.S. I learned this the hard way, from making poor choices!
edit on 2/5/2013 by geocom because: Typo add comment

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It's been increasing at a faster pace than most other government spending too. In 2002 $19 Billion was spent. I was going to say only but even $19 billion is way to much considering the government is borrowing $1 trillion a year and considering how many people there are in America who are in need right now.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Agree. Not to mention the celebs who make millions off the Americans and then they go to help people outside this country.
There used to be an old saying, 'Charity begins at home" (We should revive it) then its o.k to help others out if you take care of your own first.
edit on 5-2-2013 by 1loserel2 because: add

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Taking all of that money and giving it to the poor would be a horrible idea. If you want to see how that works, look at what happened after hurricane Katrina.

I think one solution is to offer a tax holiday to small business that start up for about the first three years of business until they can get on their feet. I say this because I own a small business I have had for about a year, and just did my taxes. Ouch! The federal government decided I made a profit so I did have to pay taxes. The problem is, their cut took away a large portion of my operating expenses for next year, so I will have to scramble to find a way to fund my business efficiently, and it will affect my growth.

Offer tax credits to small businesses who hire a certain amount of people, an hell, just quit taxing the crap out of small businesses, they are America's bread and butter.

Perhaps offer vouchers for local daycare for women looking for work who can't afford daycare. In exchange, perhaps these women could work at said daycares to earn their vouchers.

Fund more job education at a city level, for jobs such as welding,etc. From what I understand, America is facing a highly skilled worker deficit. You could offset costs for these things by having the people put in a few hours a week performing a job for said city in return.

On another note, though, people need to put off having children. If you are poor, it is not a good idea to become pregnant. I know some think that is harsh, but If you google how much it costs to raise a child to adulthood, it is a pretty scary number. That is something that should wait.

There are ways to bring communities around, and that is exactly how it should be done. Community by community, city by city. People need to get involved at a local level. More vocational job training at high schools, etc.

edit on 5-2-2013 by artnut because: added

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by angellicview

They've been dumbed down and turned into convenient sheeple by the National Education Assoc. and Teachers union.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
One thing that disturbs me is that so much land is owned by the govt 49% of California, I dont remember all the other states, but West of the Rockies is mostly owned by the govt. My feeling is that there needs to be a tract of land sat aside for the homeless. Where they can build their tent cities, plant their fruit trees, and gardens, and let the "earth" provide for them. The bible mentions the "City of Refuge" where people who didnt fit into the society norms could escape to.
And then just leave them alone. Dont try to regulate them, or require permits or have a police force. Dont build them housing.
Allow them to create a place for themselves. If they trully are lazy then they will either sink or swim. Somehow, I believe that an opportunity to create ones life would resurect the spark of hope in their souls that would bring them out of their stupor.
We have a huge amount of homeless families in our area, living under bridges its sooooo sad. I really think that they have given up. No hope. But, an opportunity to to build a place would renew that spirit. I know many would just be happy with a place to pitch a tent without having to worry about the police coming through in the middle of the night and forcing them to hid in the bushes with their kids while the few remaining things they own, are ransacked and destroyed.
The worry, fear, exposure to the eliments, the sadness on their childrens faces. It takes its toll.
We are being told that the govt can no longer support our national parks and many are being closed, and completely off limits to anyone (I know Agenda 21) But, what if just one park was open for the homeless? A homeless reservation?
And I think we need a place for the returning Vets. I wonder how many of the 22 who kill themselves daily, that cant fit back in to "society" would be alive today, if there was a tract of land where the Vets could go and create what is comfortable for them, even if its fox holes and under ground bunkers. They have paid a huge price for the ones (govt) who own all the land, the least the govt could do is give them the freedom to create a place on a piece of land that they gave so much for.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
reply to post by angellicview

They've been dumbed down and turned into convenient sheeple by the National Education Assoc. and Teachers union.

They are not the only once. We are all educated to serv and maintain our own system.
We are groomed to fight and sacrifice our lives to keep our chackles chained to our feet. Its called patriotisme.

If you break away from the chackels, You will be looked upon as a deserter by the once who fight to keep them on. That is how the system educate your opinion. That is the power of democracy.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

As I get older, I see one thing about the U.S, the topping, the gravy the good life goes to the wrong people, the ones that DON'T need it. The mentally ill get totally screwed. Sure there is a TRICKLE money that goes to the poor and mentally ill but what a pittance compared to what the 1% truly have.

This will be the downfall of america if the democrats don't do something about it. It certainly doesn't seem like the republican want to tax the rich so the progress has to go through the democrats even though there problems there too. Just too much inherited wealth being passed down from generation to generation.amongst the 1% and that IS the problem! and also the problem on how to SOLVE that problem.

Once that is done and taken care off, our country WILL be on the right track!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Aid handouts are sweeteners to governments to keep business relationships in tact. Look at who recieves the aid and then look at how many arms etc we sell them. Its got nothing to do with feeding the hungry. Its blood money

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heisenberg59
I just want to know where the hell is the aid for the homeless? You got these banks (that we the people bailed out by the way) throwing people out of their homes and our government is sending 56 billion dollars to foreign countries? I'm sick of the rich getting richer in this country while the rest of us slave our lives away for nothing. You got double digit unemployment in many parts of this country and you expect people to live where when they don't have no job? You can't go build yourself a cabin in the woods because you get thrown in a cage. You can't live on a public street because you get thrown in a cage. And you can't live in your car because you get thrown in a cage. So what's the answer?

It seems that if you can't slave your entire life away until you're 85, you simply get thrown in a cage. That's the American mentality. But I want to know where the Government expects people to live when they only get 30 hours a week because companies don't want to pay for Obamacare. I want to know where you go when you lose your job and the bank takes your house? 56 billion dollars to foreign nations and we the people get tossed aside when we can't make blood from a stone?

I say we take that 56 billion dollars and invest it back into our communities. Take these foreclosed homes and set up a program to get the homeless off the damn street. Stop all the useless spending on war while literally giving money away over to some African nation. Rebuild America.

I'm really getting sick of this "let them eat cake" mentality in this country. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone in this country to be homeless while the President spends millions of taxpayer's money on a single vacation. The greed knows no limit. It's disgusting.

OK I WANNA ASK A QUESTION TO ALL ATS USERS.

I GATHER THAT THERE ARE MEMBERS FROM VARIOUS COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD, RIGHT?

SO, WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS THIS...........

HOW MUCH AID IS EACH COUNTRY GIVING IN MONETARY TERMS TO 3RD WORLD OR IMPOVERISHED COUNTRIES?

I KNOW HERE IN THE UK IT IT'S WELL INTO THE BILLIONS, AND ADD THAT TO OTHER COUNTRIES THAT ARE GIVING BILLIONS ALSO.

WELL TO MY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES, WITH ALL THIS CASH BEING GIVEN IN "AID"

(sorry about shouting but i wanted some one to read this and think on what i have said)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by panicman66

The people will never really know where all the billions end up. Because its a political matter not a publick matter.
All the bublick needs to feel is that their government is doing charity, and not just wasting their billions.

Pay attention to who gets the blame if the public exposed the misuse of given charity. It sure aint the government who gave the hand outs.

It is always the reciver who gets the blame. And then it fades away in bureaucracy, and all is forgotten.
Its a political game.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrome413

I disagree with your assessment on so many levels, but it's your opinion. Although, quite frankly, I cannot for the life of me understand how someone could possibly be so out of touch with reality. I'm just wondering then, why the cost of an automobile did not decrease when they started being made in Mexico and China? I'm also wondering about all the people with college degrees flipping burgers at McDonalds, because there are no jobs available to them? Not to mention these college graduates have mounds of debt from student loans and only minimum wage jobs waiting for them on the outside. Yeah, your higher education is sure working out great!

Then there's the issue of cost. Don't confuse the cost of labor with labor unions. Toyota, Honda and Subaru are all opening plants in the U.S. (non union) and paying a living wage all the while supplying products that Americans with jobs that pay living wages can afford. Just because some union bosses got greedy does not mean it can't ever be profitable to manufacture in the United States.

Also, you must have missed the news about American companies leaving China to move back to the U.S. Something about Chinese workers not wanting to work for peanuts anymore is starting to make it more profitable to manufacture back in the U.S. Here's a nugget for you: www.forbes.com...

One last note, lower the taxes on businesses and make it profitable to do business in America again.

Yeah, dude. I don't really have any idea what I'm talking about. I'm not being sarcastic. I don't have any sort of education in economics, but I can offer guesses.

I'm just wondering then, why the cost of an automobile did not decrease when they started being made in Mexico and China?

This doesn't seem like it would be hard to guess why this would happen. If people buy a car for 10 dollars and it costs you 9 to make would you then charge 3 dollars for a car if it suddenly cost you only 4 to make. Would you be content with the same profit or would you just make more money.

I'm also wondering about all the people with college degrees flipping burgers at McDonalds

This doesn't have anything to do with foreign aid or a loss of manufacturing jobs. The people looking for blue collar work are doing so out of desperation. They're all technically overqualified. They don't want to be hired to work an assembly line; they wan the white collar jobs they've worked so hard to get.

Toyota, Honda and Subaru are all opening plants in the U.S.

My wife has a cousin that's worked at a Toyota plant for years. I'm not sure why they open a small amount of plants in America. I have to feel that it's just a token presence so that the companies can say "made in America" or otherwise make Americans want to buy their cars. I can't say that I could see Toyota still being competitive on the global market if they shut down all their factories and only made cars in America while paying their labor above minimum wage. There are probably some tax reasons and stuff to make some cars locally, but what do I know?

Also, you must have missed the news about American companies leaving China to move back to the U.S. Something about Chinese workers not wanting to work for peanuts anymore is starting to make it more profitable to manufacture back in the U.S. Here's a nugget for you: www.forbes.com...

I think your article mostly proves my point. Companies are mostly moving to other nations stabilized from the expenditure of foreign aid dollars where they can pay their employees slave wages; although some are moving back to America because taxes and freight costs make it cheaper to produce some stuff locally, but most are only "considering" coming back. Some are probably only saying they are "considering" it due to political pressure.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by Teye22

For the OP...I totally agree with you, it is unacceptable for governments to give away the taxpayer's money to other countries and let your own people starve and live in the street. S+F

You are happy to take from the rest of the world. What is wrong with giving a little back...

First of all I dont see where you get that I am happy to take from the rest of the world.....I NEVER took anything from anyone that I did not pay for or earn.

There is NOTHING wrong with giving something back, in fact I encourage it....my point was simply that governments should help their own people in THEIR countries first...before others. Especialy if you can't even be sure that the money will be going to the needy instead of someone pocketting chunks of it!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This is probably one of the issues that infuriates me the most. Yes I understand some other countries need aid. Yes I understand they expect America to help. However, why do we offer aid to countries who would turn around at any moment and say they 'hate America?'

Our own people need help, our own people need aid. Let's give them the help before reaching out to other countries.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is wrong on so many levels. I agree we could help countries that need it but for instance Saudi Arabia!? They do not need our help. 56 Billion could do so much good. We could have AutoBaun type highways, health care for everyone, education, you name it. But why bitch. It ain't never gonna change.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

Do you know why a country dosent spend more on its own citizens?

A nation is much like a club. With its club managment and its members. Have you ever heard of club where the members own the club?
No, not on this scale. The club managment acts as club owners. Members role are to feel attached to the club, And carry their clubs logos and so on. And be very proud members.

Now, who do you think creates all the rules in this club? And for who are these rules made for?
Yes, for the members and turists. The club managment can prity much do what ever they want with its members, Because the club managment work by a different set of rules. And they have their own law enforcemt (Police) to do so. The police dont work for club members, but for the club owners.

- Just imagine if the club members had their own police force? What do you think would happen?

Your counter argument would be; Its my tax money that pay their salary. So, no, they work for the public.

You couldnt be more wrong. Your tax money is much like a membership fee for being a member of the club.

What the club wants to use its money on. Is non of our busniss as far as they are concerned.

The club owners want you to pay them a higher fee to be a member. They dont want to pay you for being a member. That is not how busniss works. There is not profit in that for them.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
i have never figured out in my lifetime why america has to police every country.
To then be cussed out and hated for doing it.

thats where all our money goes..Heck we go fight a war win ..then give them money to rebuild with...
What happen to if you make us fight you we take your land and you belong to us ....

No reason for war's anyways.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kentucky75
i have never figured out in my lifetime why america has to police every country.
To then be cussed out and hated for doing it.

thats where all our money goes..Heck we go fight a war win ..then give them money to rebuild with...
What happen to if you make us fight you we take your land and you belong to us ....

No reason for war's anyways.

Well you are not a part of the American government. Nor are the American people. They are just members.

The american people dont even know why their government is policing the world.
The american people are just proud to be members of the american club.

J W Bush said it quite good.
Either you are with us or you are against us. It sounded like a lead gangster making threats to all the other gang leaders.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

This is what your are supposed to be brainwashed into thinking. Its a terrible attitude to think we need to prop up nations so we can export jobs yet think we do not need our OWN money!

Check yourself.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join