It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Wow, not my criteria? Whose money am I spending?

It's my money. That makes it my criteria. When I spend the server's money they can decide.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
reply to post by interupt42

Wow, not my criteria? Whose money am I spending?

It's my money. That makes it my criteria. When I spend the server's money they can decide.

Like I said its not my criteria or yours its the countries criteria whether you like it or not. So when you don't tip you are spending the waiters money.

I should have added being knowledgeable on the products but out of curiosity what is your criteria to get 15% and do you let the waiter know or do you expect them to guess?

edit on 2-2-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by Grimpachi

I can tell you have no clue what a server does if you think they just plop plates down in front of you. Then again the town you live in the servers may know who you are in which case you are getting what you deserve if that’s all the service you get based on the impression I get about you.

We havn't even talked about the cost of eating out compared to the 90s that also increases tip. How many table do you typically have? 6? If 6 and turn around was 90 mins and average bill was 100 per table that means you turn about 30 tables per shift. 30 x 20 is 600 not bad even after you pay the busboys/bartender too.

You don’t really pay attention to what people write do you?

If you did you wouldn’t be asking me questions about what tables I serve. I suggest you go back and read the responses I already posted to you to figure out what you failed to comprehend.

Aside from that your numbers are from the nether regions just like your previous assertions of what a server’s job entails. You are right everything has gone up in price since the 90s that includes what the norm is for tipping. Either you follow it or you don’t which I see you do not. It does not affect me one way or another if you are cheap and if you continue to believe 20% is not the norm then you are only fooling yourself.

If you are frequenting the same restaurants and your service is subpar it is because you have the reputation as a subpar customer and that is just how things work. If your service isn’t subpar and you are still tipping the same as you did back in the 80s and early 90s then you are a poor tipper and that is the facts.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42

Like I said its not my criteria or yours its the countries criteria whether you like it or not. So when you don't tip you are spending the waiters money.

I should have added being knowledgeable on the products but out of curiosity what is your criteria to get 15% and do you let the waiter know or do you expect them to guess?

My tips are based on different things depending on type of restaurant, time of day and type of meal. I'm not difficult to deal with and I am fair and reasonable. I don't have to justify my tips to anyone, they have to justify them to me.

Why do you feel you have the right to tell the customer what he or she is obligated to do over and above the menu price? Unless it is agreed to prior to ordering. It is just blowing my mind how you feel so entitled to tell me how I have to spend my own money. How arrogant can you be?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Interrupt asked what your criteria is considering you do not follow the established norm that society follows. It seems very strange that you tip according to the time of day however your entire view is very strange about tipping anyway. No one is telling you what to do but they are telling you what you are.

You have the right to act the way you want but your actions define the type of person you are and earn you your titles and that is something you do not dictate to others either.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

My tips are based on different things depending on type of restaurant, time of day and type of meal. I'm not difficult to deal with and I am fair and reasonable. I don't have to justify my tips to anyone, they have to justify them to me.

Why do you feel you have the right to tell the customer what he or she is obligated to do over and above the menu price? Unless it is agreed to prior to ordering. It is just blowing my mind how you feel so entitled to tell me how I have to spend my own money. How arrogant can you be?

BTW I like the name calling but I'm not arrogant. Its a fact in the US you go out to eat at a restaurant you are expected to pay at minimum 15% tip to your waiter if they provided good service? If you don't like it then don't go to a restaurant that expects the tip.

Who sounds arrogant? So depending on the day , time and if you crossed a rainbow that day on the way to the restaurant you decide if your waiter who provided a service deserves the STANDARD 15% tip that the MAJORITY of the COUNTRY expects to pay?

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, I'm just stating the facts. I'm not even telling you that you have to tip. What I'm saying is that if you don't tip in the US then you are taking advantage of the system that is expected to work on 15% TIPS (commission).

While tipping is not mandatory in the United States, it is expected in certain circumstances for reasonable service, and may reflect one's upbringing.

www.tripadvisor.com...:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

For waiters at sit-down restaurants, bartenders, barbers/hairdressers/attendants at beauty salons, taxi drivers, and food delivery folks, the tip should be calculated as a percentage of your total bill as follows: 10% usually means you are very unhappy, 15% usually means all was ok, 20% for excellent, 25% for outstanding.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Montana

Interrupt asked what your criteria is considering you do not follow the established norm that society follows. It seems very strange that you tip according to the time of day however your entire view is very strange about tipping anyway. No one is telling you what to do but they are telling you what you are.

You have the right to act the way you want but your actions define the type of person you are and earn you your titles and that is something you do not dictate to others either.

You are so ridiculous it would be funny if it wasn't so pitiful. You and your fictitious 'established norm' that isn't established in anyone's mind who has been around for more than 20 years. I have said over and over again that I tip MORE THAN 15% almost every time. Did you get that into your head this time? Let me say it again for the however many time- I TIP QUITE WELL, BUT I DECIDE WHO I TIP. The servers in the places i go to are more than happy to see me and I always get good service.

All your angst and anger is based on the entitlement in your own mind that you own my money. Get over yourself.

I tip more or less depending on how large the meal is and what type and amount of service is required to serve it. Why is it funny to you that I would tip more for a time consuming and complicated dinner than for a quick soup and sandwich lunch? Oh yeah, that's right, because you feel you own my money and have decided that I owe you what ever you feel you deserve. You and your imaginary 'social standard'. Which only seems to apply in certain restaurants and only in recent memory.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Hardstepah

I say prove you can get security pins and the rest of credit card info from 4 numbers and a name I am calling your BS right now.

why don't you ask identity theft victims who gets their credit card numbers stolen from waiters and waitresses double printing their recepits. it's happened before in several different restaraunts. if you are too lazy to actually do some research and continue your witch hunt, that's your own ignorance.

jesus man you are way too hung up on getting the evil pastor. identity theft. if you think that you can't get your credit info stolen on this info why not go on 4chan's random board and post your real name and last 4 of your valid credit card. it happens. and you can digitally scan her signature and use it to trace signatures with her card. once you have the card number identity thieves use a scanner and put the info on something as simple as a prepaid gift card. you clearly have no idea what day and age we are in

it can be done, the waitress broke a huge company policy and tried to slander a customer and post her personal info. spin it anyway you see fit, but you and i both know you CAN"T and won't give a valid argument for this dumbass to keep her job. why? because there is no valid argument.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

BTW I like the name calling but I'm not arrogant. Its a fact in the US you go out to eat at a restaurant you are expected to pay at minimum 15% tip to your waiter if they provided good service? If you don't like it then don't go to a restaurant that expects the tip.

Did you miss the post where I said that is exactly what I do?

Who sounds arrogant?

Well, if you really want to know, the person who sounds arrogant is the person telling someone what to do with their own money...

STANDARD 15% tip that the MAJORITY of the COUNTRY expects to pay?

I don't feel the customer is required to conform to the expectations of the server. This is really pretty basic business stuff here.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, I'm just stating the facts. I'm not even telling you that you have to tip. What I'm saying is that if you don't tip in the US then you are taking advantage of the system that is expected to work on TIPS (commission).

TRYING to tell me how to spend my money is exactly what you are doing. At least be that honest. It is not my responsibility as a customer to ensure that you are receiving a good wage. That is your job and you work it out with your employer.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hardstepah

reply to post by Hardstepah

I say prove you can get security pins and the rest of credit card info from 4 numbers and a name I am calling your BS right now.

why don't you ask identity theft victims who gets their credit card numbers stolen from waiters and waitresses double printing their recepits. it's happened before in several different restaraunts. if you are too lazy to actually do some research and continue your witch hunt, that's your own ignorance.

jesus man you are way too hung up on getting the evil pastor. identity theft. if you think that you can't get your credit info stolen on this info why not go on 4chan's random board and post your real name and last 4 of your valid credit card. it happens. and you can digitally scan her signature and use it to trace signatures with her card. once you have the card number identity thieves use a scanner and put the info on something as simple as a prepaid gift card. you clearly have no idea what day and age we are in

it can be done, the waitress broke a huge company policy and tried to slander a customer and post her personal info. spin it anyway you see fit, but you and i both know you CAN"T and won't give a valid argument for this dumbass to keep her job. why? because there is no valid argument.

I am calling you out please show us. It is pretty easy for someone that has a card in hand to get all the numbers it’s an entirely different story to get all the numbers from a receipt. You are full of it if you say otherwise. It is a name and 4 digits.

You are not pulling me into defending the waitress but the argument for her being fired because of credit card info is completely erroneous. I think you just don’t like that the spotlight is on the holly rollers and you are making up reasons for firing the waitress. Can you even prove that the credit card number was showing? I sure couldn’t find a picture of it.

Give god 10% and skip out on paying your waitress just another Christian thing I guess.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Get off your high horse bud I am not even in the service industry so you can take your entitlement speech and shove it. I am telling you what the norm is and this is the first you have said what you tip. I still think you are cheap based off your other comments.

So get this through your head I am not asking you to give me anything your entitlement attitude is misplaced. You don’t follow the norm of society so you bring upon yourself how you are viewed.

Can you comprehend?

I don't feel the customer is required to conform to the expectations of the server. This is really pretty basic business stuff here.

Well don’t be surprised if you overhear someone talking bad about you. That is something you can’t control. Actually you do in this case if you are cheap then you get called cheap if you are not then you shouldn’t. You get what you deserve in that case.

Besides society has set the expectations but you seem to blame the server. Somehow you come off in this thread with an us vs them attitude. Them seems to be anyone who tips the norm.
edit on 2-2-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Did you miss the post where I said that is exactly what I do?

Who sounds arrogant?

Well, if you really want to know, the person who sounds arrogant is the person telling someone what to do with their own money...

STANDARD 15% tip that the MAJORITY of the COUNTRY expects to pay?

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, I'm just stating the facts. I'm not even telling you that you have to tip. What I'm saying is that if you don't tip in the US then you are taking advantage of the system that is expected to work on TIPS (commission).

TRYING to tell me how to spend my money is exactly what you are doing. At least be that honest. It is not my responsibility as a customer to ensure that you are receiving a good wage. That is your job and you work it out with your employer.

First of all I'm not in the restaurant or any industry that involves tipping so I don't have to work anything out with my employer.

Like I said I'm not telling you how to spend your money I'm not even saying that you have to tip. I'm saying if you don't tip for good service than you are taking advantage of the system and you know it.

The industry standard is 15% whether you like it or not and the employees wages are based on that standard whether you like it or not.

In addition, its OK for you not to tip them just like its ok for you to not give a donation in church. However, don't act like you are shocked that it directly effects their livelihood and that its expected.

Again nobody is forcing anyone to tip the standard 15% for good service, but they shouldn't be surprised when people look at them as a cheap selfish @--. (Note I'm not saying you specifically)

(These recommendations are based on ones provided by the Emily Post Institute. For those who are interested in etiquette in the USA, most Americans refer to Emily Post or Amy Vanderbilt for the final word on manners.)

Restaurants with table service: Tip 15% of the bill, based on the quality of service. If you receive exceptional service, 15-25% is customary. In major cities of the U.S. however, 20% is considered to be a "good tip"

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Pastors do not give God 10%. God does not need money. There is no way to get money to God. Pastors TAKE the money that other people put into the collection plate THINKING THAT IT GOES TO GOD. In reality it buys the pastors house, and his car, clothes for the family, college education for the kids, etc.

If people want to give money to God, they should put it on an altar and burn it.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

While tipping is not mandatory in the United States, it is expected in certain circumstances for reasonable service, and may reflect one's upbringing.

For waiters at sit-down restaurants, bartenders, barbers/hairdressers/attendants at beauty salons, taxi drivers, and food delivery folks, the tip should be calculated as a percentage of your total bill as follows: 10% usually means you are very unhappy, 15% usually means all was ok, 20% for excellent, 25% for outstanding.

LOL So you tell me what the service industry expects using a source owned by the service industry......

I wonder what it will say? Inquiring minds want to know!

So a server completely screws up the meal from start to finish, spills food, coughs on my plate, never fills my coffee- and still expects a 10% tip? That will not happen, trust me!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

If that happens to you then I think they are sending you a message.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

LOL So you tell me what the service industry expects using a source owned by the service industry......

I wonder what it will say? Inquiring minds want to know!

So a server completely screws up the meal from start to finish, spills food, coughs on my plate, never fills my coffee- and still expects a 10% tip? That will not happen, trust me!

Is the 15% tip rule new to you?

No, if the server screwed up your meal from start to finish you shouldn't tip them anything but perhaps you should leave two pennies just so they understand as suggested by the source.

you do not wish to leave any tip at all, still leave the 2 pennies, so that they understand that you did not just forget to tip.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

good lord when did i EVER say ALL the numbers were showing? the whole time i have been saying hackers can do it with a name and the last 4. try reading without emotion. i am atheist and i scoff at the holier than thou "holy rollers". the message was lame and i already said in dis-taste and complete arrogance. but the pastor is being attacked and threatened for what? free speech. i know many are against that if it's something they do not agree with, which is as bad as the "unconditional love with conditions" approach this pastor and her religion often take.

again, why not go post your info where i said to if you are so sure i am wrong? you won't because you know i am right
why don't you prove me wrong net crusader? oh wait you can't or you would have

i'm not here to do research for you. i'm here to shut you and everyone else with blinded emotional opinions down like i already have. all you have done is use strawman arguments, and it has been like trying to show a stuborn child what the problem is. you can't argue with the companies decision. once again, and i'll type it in big easy words for you to understand.

SHE DID A BAD THING THAT APPLEBEE'S CONSIDERS A BAD THING THAT IS ZERO TOLERANCE. MAKING CUSTOMERS LOOK BAD AND ATTACKING THEM IS USUALLY ZERO TOLERANCE AT ANY WORKPLACE .

this is my last post here. you clearly have too much emotion invested to believe anything other than what you think. ignorant people will continue to be ignorant because they want to be. hope you actually do some research and wake yourself up out of your anger coma

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Well, I don't know what more I can possibly say to either of you guys. You are both now saying that neither of you work in the industry, but you seem to feel you know all about it. I HAVE worked in the industry before, and while it has been a few years I think I remember how it worked.

I think I see the fundamental difference between our viewpoints and it can be summed up very quickly. I believe in meritocracy and you believe in entitlement. I feel that the price of a product is required to be listed up front and in plain language. That price includes delivery at the agreed upon place (in this case my table) and in the expected amount and condition. That is the 'contract' we make when I order and the restaurant agrees to provide the meal.

Anything over and above that basic agreement is reason to expect a gratuity. How much depends on how much, if you get my meaning. If the delivery and service fee will be greater than the cost listed than that fact should be stated up front and right next to the price. I really don't see any further progress to be made between us in this regards, so let's just agree to disagree.

Peace

edit on 2/2/2013 by Montana because: Because I am a bad typist...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Montana

If that happens to you then I think they are sending you a message.

I have had it happen. Obviously a new waiter, but it did happen. Do you feel that everyone is a born pro, or that they can't have a bad day, or that some people just make really crappy waiters? Heck, I remember a day nearly as bad when I first started out! (nearly). And no, I didn't make food service my career.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Well, I don't know what more I can possibly say to either of you guys. You are both now saying that neither of you work in the industry, but you seem to feel you know all about it. I HAVE worked in the industry before, and while it has been a few years I think I remember how it worked.

I worked in the industry while going to college, I also owned a restaurant for over 5 years. I'm in a totally different field now involved in Engineering.

I see think fundamental difference between our viewpoints can be summed up very quickly. I believe in meritocracy and you believe in entitlement. I feel that the price of a product is required to be listed up front and in plain language. That price includes delivery at the agreed upon place (in this case my table) and in the expected amount and condition. That is the 'contract' we make when I order and the restaurant agrees to provide the meal.

Having owned a business and paying large amounts of taxes and believing in libertarian principles and backing Ron Paul, I assure you that I don't believe in entitlement . I also believe the price of a product is required to be listed up front and in plain language. However, the 15% tipping standard is known and expected by majority of America when dining out. Did you tell the waiter your expectations up front and how much you were going to tip them in your contract?

Anything over and above that basic agreement is reason to expect a gratuity. How much depends on how much, if you get my meaning. If the delivery and service fee will be greater than the cost listed than that fact should be stated up front and right next to the price. I really don't see any further progress to be made between us in this regards, so let's just agree to disagree.

Peace

Agreed to disagree.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join