It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

The restaurants are not going to raise their prices if you think that you are dreaming. If you only tip for extraordinary service you are cheap in my book and are cheating the system it just shows your character is all. It has been stated throughout this thread many times that it isn’t a true min wage and many servers have to tip out the staff so in a way your server is paying others to serve you while you withhold a tip. These are society’s rules unfortunately some do not follow them.

I don’t know that I believe you about your experience seeing as how you didn’t know min wage for servers is only a third of what normal min wage is.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I think the important thing to remember is that the waitress who got sacked wasn't the waitress who served the pastor.....and the company in question sacked the woman who posted detail's of the receipt online to cover their own ass! and not to make any kind of statement.

It was damage control....if nothing was done then I'm pretty sure that customer's may question that if they were to complain or make a fuss at that establishment in the future whether justified or not... then what was to stop them being named and shamed publicly?...

None of us are perfect...religious, non religious pastor or not.....and we are all capable of having a bad day etc and taking it out on other's...what the pastor did may have been considered rude in US culture but what the waitress did was potentially bring her employee into disrepute...who was the more fool hardy?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

No I don’t think you understand. You are comparing the US to the UK it is apples and oranges in other words your opinion on tipping here in the US holds 0 bearing on this issue.

We don’t care how you tip there you can keep your system but if you come over here and tip that way then you’re a cheap d-bag in our book but for where you’re at its fine.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
TIP to insure prompt service

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Why would i look at the details below your avatar before i reply to your post? Should i research as much as i can about a person before i reply to whatever it is they say? I think not.

Yes it might be 16 pages long but if you’re going to respond to me I would really appreciate it if you would bother to look at more than one of my comments.

What relevance does that have? Had i responded immediately after your ONE original comment on the first page, my comment would still be just as valid after 16 pages worth of subsequent posts, because it was that ONE post/comment to which i replied. This is also why i mentioned that it had already likely been mentioned in the 15 pages that came after. But i am not going to read an entire thread of 15+ pages.

Sorry if you're getting tired of people pointing it out to you.

So you're from the UK, and aren't familiar with how American tipping and business works. That's fine.

Now you hopefully have an understanding of why tipping is important to people in the US.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

what happen to 15% for GOOD service?

It changed after gas stopped being $1.25 a gallon.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Sorry to butt in here, but...

Originally posted by Grimpachi

If you only tip for extraordinary service you are cheap in my book and are cheating the system it just shows your character is all.

I don't care. I don't live my life by your rules.

It has been stated throughout this thread many times that it isn’t a true min wage and many servers have to tip out the staff so in a way your server is paying others to serve you while you withhold a tip.

If this is true, then it is on the servers to stand up and demand a fair wage. It is NOT MY JOB to ensure that some one else is well paid. If servers would refuse to work for those wages the restaurant would be out of business and someone else would open a new one that paid it's help fairly. STAND UP FOR YOURSELF! Don't expect someone else to fight your fights for you.

These are society’s rules unfortunately some do not follow them.

These are not society's rules. Mandatory tipping and reduced server wages are a relatively new thing. They have used to be illegal, until fools decided to vote business people into government just because they owned a business.
This society's rules (the US) are that a tip is a gratuity. It was always this way (until recently). A gratuity is something that is paid because you are grateful for the good service. Making it mandatory is counter intuitive to the whole thought process. Mandatory tipping is something that was invented by greedy business owners to put the onus on someone else's back instead of having to charge a fair price and pay a fair wage. Thus they are able to advertise a (false) lower price and fool people into thinking they will pay less at that establishment than the one down the block.

Stop acquiescing to the suppression of a tip being made part of your wage. Demand a fair wage and let a tip be a reward for doing a good job.

I will never return to any establishment that adds a mandatory tip to my check. Ever. And there better be a sign on the door or they are getting turned in to the better business bureau for misleading business practices.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

your cracking me up. It seems like you just found out that 20% is the norm.

I can show actual statistics that 14% to 16% is the actual norm for good service... 10% and below for poor service, and for outstanding it is above 16%.

The rest of the world is 5% to 12%....so your 20% is a little skewed, but then you might live in a big city that expects 20% for any kind of service...

edit on 2-2-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

So like just before Obama came into office...

So I guess plopping a plate down in front of me takes a lot more out of the waitress and requires more skills than it did a few years ago...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Hardstepah

I did look for the receipt and didn’t find it with the full number and that is why most do this on themXXX-XXX-XXX-8767 to protect customers in fact that is the law in a lot of places and they are useless without the expiration date even if the number is visible. So yeah it isn’t an issue. BTW why did you save her receipt?

Did you watch the video with the pastor talking about forgiveness. It was so Christian of her but she wasn’t talking about the person she got fired. It was her pity party.

edit on 2-2-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

*facepalm^

dude, her signature is legible and her name is everywhere. hackers can easily obtain info with last 4 digits and a name. get over the pastor being an arrogant bitch and look at the issue as to why she was fired. she posted a personal transaction. it is against policy. you have no grounds to argue applebee's decision

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by byGRACE
TIP to insure prompt service

no no, that is not how it works. they give you prompt service THEN you tip. the tip is the last part of the visit. i should only get above average service if i tip? should we just give portions of our paychecks (more than we already do) to poor people because they are poor and "deserve better"?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardstepah

I say prove you can get security pins and the rest of credit card info from 4 numbers and a name I am calling your BS right now.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

OK Mr. scrooge the entire country will change at your whim. Keep dreaming.

I can see there a lot of cheapo’s on here. If you frequent restaurants and get bad service it may be because they recognize you.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

So like just before Obama came into office...

So I guess plopping a plate down in front of me takes a lot more out of the waitress and requires more skills than it did a few years ago...

I didn’t know Obama even had his sites on the Oval office in the 90s.
Throw all the graphs and study’s up you want but the norm is 20% if you can’t afford the other 5% maybe you should cook at home more you will save a lot more money that way. If it doesn’t affect you then you are just being cheap.

I can tell you have no clue what a server does if you think they just plop plates down in front of you. Then again the town you live in the servers may know who you are in which case you are getting what you deserve if that’s all the service you get based on the impression I get about you.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You know if waiters and waitresses in the US; got paid regular minimum wage that would be one thing...but they don't most wait staff gets less than 2.50 per hour as the minimum, they rely on tips to make up the difference for a good wage. Skipping out on paying the wait staff that did their job leaves them serving you basically for free, at a wage no one can live on. If the food was bad, or it took a long time to be served that is the cooks/kitchen staffs fault, if the glass or flat ware isn't clean that's the buss persons fault. If you don't get a refill or two on your drink; or kept you waiting on your bill that's the wait staffs fault.

If the wait staff is lack luster in their duties; then tip less but still tip...the buss staff and wait staff typically have to split tips...so it's doubtful that the whole 18% was even going to the wait staff; much like the delivery fee on pizza orders to not go to the driver.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

The system can either work one way or the other , but not both.

1. The UK way (no tipping + higher meal cost as it compensate for waiter salary)
2. or the US way (Tipping + lower meal cost since the employee is paid partly by commission (tips) ).

If you dine out in the US and don't tip then you are taking advantage of the people that work in the industry and the system. That would also be considered:

3. The third way or better known as the selfish way (no tipping plus + lower meal cost by cutting out the employees commission). The third method takes money from owner and the staff since tips are considered as part of the employee compensation. If the waiter doesn't make minimum wage because they get around 2/3 of the min wage salary then the employer has to pay the rest in order to make sure they make minimum wage.

If enough cheapos exist out their then you can bet your Butts that your meal cost will go up.
However, luckily for those cheapos they are the minority, but make no mistake that you are taking advantage of another families livelihood in the US when you don't tip (assuming good service). Although, I suspect that is not much of a concern when someone has a selfish trait.

edit on 2-2-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I may start attending church regularly now simply to help myself as the collection plate comes by. What a smug, self-important asshole. Man Of God my ass.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
"Nother day, 'nother useless "Christian".

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

These are society’s rules unfortunately some do not follow them.

No, they're not. They're how you precieve societies rules. The price is for the meal. For great service I always tip. For a great time, and a great meal, I like to know if the tip gets shared with the kitchen, if so, I tip even more.

If they demand a tip on the bill (and at a set percentage at that), then something is wrong with the system... not with those that do not want to tip for whatever reason. The price should then be included in the meal, waiters/waitresses should be paid more, and people should have the choice if and how much they want to tip on top of that, as a little thank you for having a great time/meal.

I don’t know that I believe you about your experience seeing as how you didn’t know min wage for servers is only a third of what normal min wage is.

"I don't know if I believe"? Well, it's true, and no, I wasn't a waitress. I was a cloakroom attendant (I'm a rubbish waitress, and have never worked as one full time, but have occasionally filled in for a few shifts... each time making a complete arse of myself, spilling soup, forgetting to bring cutlery, etc... and have always gotten a tip, not due to my service, but due to being friendly. And I always shared my tip with the kitchen staff when covering a restaurant shift, including the kitchen porter, not just the chefs), and got minimum wage (which at that time was just under a fiver, from what I remember... might have been closer to £4... it's many years ago), only used to work 4-6 hours a shift, about 4-5 days a week. This involved about an hours work at the beginning of the shift, then 2-4 hours of just hanging about, and then an hours actual work again at the end of the shift, generally earning an extra £40-60 per shift, which to me was a massive bonus, but nothing I expected, nor something I relied on. It was a great little job, and good fun.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42

1. The UK way (no tipping + higher meal cost as it compensate for waiter salary)
2. or the US way (Tipping + lower meal cost since the employee is paid partly by commission (tips) ).

Stop pretending tips + lower wage is the "US way". Historically the US way has been the same as the UK way.Mandatory tipping is a new thing foisted on the workforce by greedy employers. They save in many ways, including (but not limited to) reduced worker's comp payments, reduced Social Security payments (further enlarging that whole crisis) and reduced federal and state tax payments.

If you dine out in the US and don't tip then you are taking advantage of the people that work in the industry and the system.

I never said I don't tip. I tip pretty well if the service is good. I hear no complaints at all from the places I frequent and receive very good service because the employees know they will be rewarded for it. The only people being taken advantage of are the customers who let the owner/manager determine what 'good service' is and how much should be given for it.

If the waiter doesn't make minimum wage because they get around 2/3 of the min wage salary then the employer has to pay the rest in order to make sure they make minimum wage.

THIS IS HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The employer pays the staff a livable wage (if you can buy the fantasy that minimum wage is somehow 'livable') and the customer adds an amount that they feel reflects the quality of service they received!!!!! This is how it has worked for as long as I have been alive until recently when we have been subjected to mandatory tipping.

If enough cheapos exist out their then you can bet your Butts that your meal cost will go up.
However, luckily for those cheapos they are the minority, but make no mistake that you are taking advantage of another families livelihood in the US when you don't tip (assuming good service). Although, I suspect that is not much of a concern when someone has a selfish trait.

My goodness you people are really dense or you have swallowed the bait hook, line and sinker. Not agreeing to mandatory tipping is not being cheap. Demanding a livable wage from one's employer is not wrong. Tipping an appropriate amount as a reward for good service IS WHAT THE PRACTICE IS DESIGNED TO DO!!

You are not 'entitled' to a gratuity. It is something that is given by a grateful customer (hence GRATuity). You SHOULD however be entitled to a livable wage. If that means the cost of the meal goes up then so be it.

Eat at home more and reserve the restaurants for an occasional treat.
edit on 2/2/2013 by Montana because: Screwed up the last quote

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join