It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research Forum Member's Thread (Updated 2018)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Thanks again for the invite to work on this project.
Reading through your post detailing who is working on what, I couldn't help but notice that you have foraging hanging out there still. Honestly, at the rate my spring is not progressing, I would love to add that in the topics that I am covering. I rely on it every year anyway to fill my freezers and pantry, and this year it will be vital if I am going to pull off even half of the harvest that I had last year. I should be planting in 3 days and I still have snow and frozen soil as you mentioned. I will be focusing on my cool weather crops only this year as well, I may push a couple of things just to see if I can.

I may just have to focus on the early season tricks to get started, even though even my cold frame didn't even work this spring to thaw soil. In spite of it all I can't wait to post the lovely end of season harvest photos, (I will have to practice I guess) they make all of the early season frustrations worth it!

Please just let me know when our first post is due, I am currently wrapped up in winding down the school year at home, with or without help, it should only take us another 2 weeks max to finish up. Maybe my gardens will have even thawed by then. Thanks again for the chance to get involved, and Thanks to davespanners for bestowing upon me scholar status to be able to participate!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Hi woodsmom!

I think foraging sounds like a great area of focus and one I would be interested in learning more about, having never tried it myself. And if you want to add whatever perspective you can give on surviving in a short growing season. That will all work.

I am probably going to ask that all researchers have one post added to the thread by the end of May/first week of June. Since there will be five posts in total per member plan on aiming for at least one post per month just to stay on track, with flexibility as needed of course. I don't want people finding themselves scrambling in September to catch up - we'll all be pretty busy with our harvests at that time after all!

Thanks for getting to back to me and I will alert everyone when the formal project post has been completed. I am going to start working on it tonight - provided I don't get too tipsy after the work function I'm being forced to attend...
Expect the finished post by week's end...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

That all sounds great! I can easily pull of a single post by then. I can also wrap both topics together pretty easily, as they go hand in hand for me anyway. This is a great experiment year to see how much I can squeeze out of the gardens with such a horrible start to a short cool season. I look forward to my assignment.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
**Update on Gardening Research Project - Participants Please Review and Reply**

Plan with updates below. We have 8 members as of right now - woot! Project members, please respond to this thread by Saturday with a YEP! if you're in as stated. U2U me with revisions. Official thread will be posted Saturday.

This will be a Level 2 project despite the long time-frame. A Level 2 requires a 5 post commitment - that's one per month. A Level 3 requires 10 posts - that's two per month. I'd rather under-promise and over-deliver (knowing what I know about project teams.) But if we rally I'm sure adjustments can be made.

I will be figuring out a check-in schedule as we start. As team leader, my job is to make sure your garden/research post commitment is on track and that we are communicating well between all members. I want us to achieve the goals of our project, and provide a good body of research. But I also want to create a true "team" from this experience. We are none of us solitary participants.

Project Start is May (first post) and Project End is October (when I post the final recap).

Researchers

These are researchers who will not be using their own gardens to test results or posting about their own active gardens. Their participation will be focused on posting research.

VeritasAequitas will be focused on the common denominators between nutrition/medicinal properties and plants. A stretch goal is how much nutritional value food loses through preservation (freezing, drying, canning, root cellaring).

74Templar has some of the conspiracy angle - how corporations want to stifle local grown; the place (or lack thereof) of government intervention; comparison between home grown vs. shop grown; and the impact of farmers markets/guerilla gardening/farmer's markets. (I will leave 74 to define this better but I think it's a great perspective).

Gardener Researchers

These are participants who will provide an opening post explaining their garden, and a closing post in October summarizing how the season went. They will also offer at least one researched post on a chosen topic. The other two posts can be research, updates on how their garden is performing against stated expectations, or a "test" of a principle stated in any contributors research (i.e. trying a pest control strategy and reporting on how it held up).

Druid42 will be focused on food preservation techniques in addition to gardening updates. An important part of this will be weighing and measuring to compare produce yields with final product achieved.

okiecowboy will be covering urban gardening and starting a brand new plot. Also strategies for gardening with less financial input (low budget). Very excited about having this perspective.

retirednature has a squash family focus, as well as testing strategies for vertical growing systems and maximizing yields. Using certain plantings for pest control will be another useful contribution.

SpaDe_ will be focusing on nightshades in addition to general gardening updates.

woodsmom lives in an area with a very short growing season so she can offer a good perspective on maximizing production under challenging conditions. She also has experience with foraging which I am most interested to learn about.

otherpotato aka ME will also be covering food preservation as a comparison point to Druid42. Also covering spacing strategies, intercropping/companion planting, seasonal planting and weed identification/control. I will also be a "jump in" person if a new topic comes up along the way that begs to be included.

Some prospective subject areas not yet covered for those without an area of focus, or last minute participant additions:

**Fertilization - principles and techniques
**Planting by the moon/astrology/old wives tales. Old Farmer's Almanac type stuff
**Focus on one particular type or family of plants - we have nightshades and cucurbitaceae covered

otherpotato

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Yep! I am in, and waiting to contribute. Have almost my entire garden planted, with the exception of a couple of things, but other than that ready to roll with this.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Project finally posted. Took longer than I planned or expected and maybe not perfect. But ready to go!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well it looks like the Research Forum is really

growing!!

yeah, yeah, dumb joke. oh well.

I just had this weekly update to post for my Nixon's Apollo project.
The timeline is now over 1,100+ entries. Some of the features of this chronological timeline include: all of the Howard Hughes related movies, as director or producer. Some movies have significance to Nixon, so over time, such as the times/dates/locations that Richard Nixon watched a Howard Hughes movie, most, if not all, of those are noted.
www.tiki-toki.com...

Currently, I have exactly 0 co-researchers so doing a genuine "research" thread is not going to happen. I opened a thread in the Skunk Works called "Nixon's Apollo: Howard Hughes and the Apollo Hoax, ".

Research Note: I really think some of the lead researches in this Forum should take a look at some of the websites that offer time-line creation services, such as tiki-toki. The graphics displays in a cohesive and comprehensive conspiracy timeline are very powerful tools that a conspiracy theorist or researcher should have in their repertoire.

When I look at Howard Hughes and Richard Nixon on the timelines it is possible to gain some insights that can only be gleaned by reading dozens of different sources. Putting these puzzle pieces together into the timeline has been my main research output to date. I hope that this research effort will still qualify me to remain in the Scholarly class. Any and all of you are invited to drop gtfo-bombs all over my thread if you see any major flaws in this Skunk Works theory!
edit on 5/17/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: tags

edit on 5/17/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: gained to gleaned

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
For the JFK folks specifically... I'd love to see you guys to build a JFK assassination timeline on tiki-toki (or any other simple to use timeline website) for the JFK conspiracy. The JFK conspiracy theories are all based on timelines. Don't forget to include that creepy Fort Worth breakfast

I don't want you all to think that I'm some sort of tiki-toki salesman! But it's free, with adverts on the bottom, adverts suck.... but it's free. And I have over 1,100+ entries on my timeline and the program seems to be working fine. I'd like to see what you all can come up with!

www.tiki-toki.com...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

I'm taking a look at it.

Very interesting to say the least. I will admit that both held considerable power in the late 60's.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well, my 1st post is up in the Survival Garden Research Project. Linky.

Rather picture intense, but pictures are often worth 1000 words.

Enjoy.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Update to Survival Gardening Research Project

The thread is underway and doing well so far. Got 99% of my garden in over the last month so a lot of my time has been more on the "doing" rather than the "posting" end of things.

Shout outs to woodsmom for being the first poster, to Templar74 for providing the conspiracy context, and to Druid42 for the awesome accompanying photos. I can see we will learn a lot from each other.

A few members have noted their inability to meet the end of May posting deadline for various (some totally legitimate) reasons, which may be game changers for participation. I'd like to specifically acknowledge Okiecowboy who is dealing with the recent tornado in Oklahoma - god bless you. I'm leaving the thread open for member adjustments through June and have checked with the mods about that being OK.

Happy with the posts so far and working on my next update which will be about WEEDS. It will be interesting to see how a six month research thread plays out....

otherpotato

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Summer! Too much yard work!. But here is a minor update on the Nixon Apollo timeline that has kept me busy for some months. This update includes much better graphic icons for the timeline entries, added Navy service dates from president JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter to GHW Bush.

Other small updates: I changed the category "Soviet Space" to "Red Scare Headlines" so as to make that grouping more consistent. And a quick change from "Cinema" to "Film & TV" to make that grouping more consistent.

I decided to use the presidential portraits from whitehouse.gov for the presidential entries. I use WW2 era Navy pictures for service entries during the time they served. A new Hughes In Hollywood icon makes it easy to find Howard Hughes film & studio actions. Still a work in progress. I am planning to have a new category for 3rd/ 4th Reich Nazis.

Here is a link to the timeline. Start on left side (1905) and scroll to the right (2010). This is a collection of 1,145 conspiracy related timeline entries that are all facts of history shown in chronological order, classified by several themes which are color coded.

www.tiki-toki.com...

And a link to the thread

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Thread Up.

Not for the faint of Heart. Want to thank daaskapital with ALL the information he gave me. Just a chilling story.

I hope you enjoy, as it will be a process to get this story out.

edit on 9-7-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Thread Up.

Not for the faint of Heart. Want to thank daaskapital with ALL the information he gave me. Just a chilling story.

I hope you enjoy, as it will be a process to get this story out.

edit on 9-7-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

Sweet! I should have some information up soon!

I want to thank sonnny1 for offering to collaborate with me on these threads!!! It is a great pleasure to work with you!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

reply to post by daaskapital

Level 1 Project: UNIT 731

Looking forward to reading this. You guys will make Mulder & Scully proud.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Thank You for the kind words......

I will be posting a bit more this weekend.....

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Hey all,

Just about to send out some PM's to all contributing member's of this forum but I also wanted to post a quick message here offering my apologies for my absence over the last few months. Real life hit's pretty hard at times and I simply couldn't be here to run thing's. It sucked, trust me. It really did.

Sometime soon though I really want to get back into the swing of thing's here and continue the effort of bringing quality content to ATS. All I need is a little bit of time. I hope all of you understand this and thanks for your continuous work here, It's truly outstanding!

RA.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
****Heads up****

The rules here have been revised ever so slightly. There's now no real time limit for you to complete these research projects. All that is asked of you now is that you work hard on your research contributions and that you get the correct number of posts (which can also be exceeded) in as per the project level you have undertaken. For example for a level 2 you will provide a minimum of 5 research posts.

Bearing all of this in mind, we will still be expecting project's to be ticking over in a reasonable amount of time. Project's that have been inactive for a week or two so will result in me, or another mod, sending out a PM to check on it's status. We of course want you to take your time and get this done right, but we also want to make sure they are being done in the first place and aren't being forgotten. We must remember that Scholar status is a privilege here.

Thanks.

edit on 21-7-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Hey guys, I'm here

Would love to get involved in a project involving the paranormal, space exploration, ufos, ancient aliens, etc

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Hey there Homer, It's good to have you posting in the research forum. I'd love to see a project undertaken on some of the topics you just mentioned, especially the paranormal. I really think that would be absolutely fascinating and worthwhile stuff.

If you can't find any member's in here then you could always PM a few member's you think would be interested in taking part as well. I'm sure they'll be plenty around.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join