It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U S women allowed in combat.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

I'm all for this. A worry is their weight to gear ratio. A thought I had was is this a way to keep up infantry numbers with all the cut backs and the waiting lists in some states to get into the service?

"Although the move raises the likelihood that female troops will suffer far higher casualties in future wars, women's veterans groups applauded the move as long overdue and in line with other sweeping changes in American culture."

Not sure if I believe that. Same training. Why would that mean higher female casualties, unless meant more then past since they are now a fighting force.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Am I the only one search never turns up anything for? Delete please.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RightlyCurious

There a lot of women who wanted equality in all things...now they surely are getting it.

I don't like war; and I don't like needless killing; but yet I do believe in self-defense.

I really feel that many women who may try and be in combat; may not be strong enough in their minds, emotions and bodies.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Already thread on this let me get link.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-1-2013 by RightlyCurious because: link

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I am a combat veteran and there were never any woman in our unit. I would have no problem serving in a combat unit with women as long as they do the same thing we did and fulfill their duty to the unit. If a woman wants to fight and have no qualms about killing regardless who, what gender, or what age the enemy is then I am ok with it. As long as they understand that if they are captured the torture would be different with them than with men. They would have to be able to endure sexual assault at the hands of most captors. As long as they understand the consequences of combat and what can happen and still want to be in combat then more power to them. Being captured and tortured is always a chance when in combat zones in other countries and as long as they understand this and still want to fight I say "let them". They should watch the movie "GI JANE" and that is nothing compared to what can really happen.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RightlyCurious

Most combat packs average around 80 pounds and then you have your weapon. ammunition, knives, grenades. and other equipment and the new body armor. That all equals to about 130 lbs to carry besides your own weight also. Most women cannot carry that type of load and march or run the distances needed for training or escaping the enemy. I know there are some women who would be able and some would not. That is the same way with men. Some men can do it and some can't. As long as they have to go through the same training without any exceptions I am ok with women in combat. I suggest women watch the movie "GI JANE" and that is nothing compared to how it would be in real life. If they can handle then I am for them.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This happened in ISRAEL. Now USA. Welcome to the club.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The US should have done this sooner. The Taliban would have been doubly demoralised to have been owned by a bunch of cheerleaders with machine guns.

On a serious note, this is a correct decision.

Regards

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Good move. Now make them register for Selective Service like males 18-26 are supposed to do.

Howeveri don't see women rushing into the combat arms jobs.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this. They're getting what they want with regards to equality and such, but logistically speaking I just can't see it working. As mentioned before, their weight-to-gear ratio will be horrid and many women may struggle with it. I'm a trained soldier, fairly fit and averaged size but if you were to put an infanteers patrolling kit on me I'd probably feel the strain. It is bloody heavy. Now speaking from personal experience also, many female soldiers I've personally worked with have the "I'm a girl, I can't do it, can you do it for me?" attitude which I absolutely despise, and that will simply not work within an infantry unit, it just won't wash. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RightlyCurious
Already thread on this let me get link.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-1-2013 by RightlyCurious because: link

That thread is biased.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
This happened in ISRAEL. Now USA. Welcome to the club.

This has happened in other countries too.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, New Zealand.
I'm sure there are more

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
She won't pass initiation

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bo12au
She won't pass initiation

Oh, but they will.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Personally, I do not have a problem with women in the military or on the front line. My personal beliefs are that women can be just as capable as men.

but... here is something that I am mixed on.

Imagine that a female soldier that has valuable information is captured. At first her training works out great and she never says a word about the information she knows, no matter what they do to her.

But what if she were to be raped, then got pregnant, then have a baby, and they used the baby as leverage against her.

I really don't want to play the devils advocate here, and in no way am I saying that women are not capable of fighting on the front lines. I am just trying to let people see things from a different point of view.

What would the answer be to a situation like this, sterilization (at least for a certain amount of time)? Training the parental instinct out of her? I don't have an answer for this one.
edit on 5-2-2013 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

What would the answer be to a situation like this, sterilization (at least for a certain amount of time)? Training the parental instinct out of her? I don't have an answer for this one.

Contraceptives. They can be done in many different ways now. IUD, pills, patch, injection....

Other countries have this figured out. I'm sure the US can too

Also, let's just say contraceptives didn't work. By the time she had a baby, that sensitive info likely would have changed?
How do spies do things? There have been women spies for decades
edit on 5-2-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
Personally, I do not have a problem with women in the military or on the front line. My personal beliefs are that women can be just as capable as men.

but... here is something that I am mixed on.

Imagine that a female soldier that has valuable information is captured. At first her training works out great and she never says a word about the information she knows, no matter what they do to her.

But what if she were to be raped, then got pregnant, then have a baby, and they used the baby as leverage against her.

I really don't want to play the devils advocate here, and in no way am I saying that women are not capable of fighting on the front lines. I am just trying to let people see things from a different point of view.

edit on 5-2-2013 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

She will break. Man or Woman The human body is capable of Amazing feats, but when torture is applied its a whole another ballgame. ..As a Man I have no authority to tell a women what she can or can not do with her body. What happens when CNN starts showing dead females in bodybags? It is a complete breakdown of family values I am witnessing.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bo12au

What happens when some terrorist group captures the first female soldier and release video of her being gang-raped repeatedly.

I believe the response would be different then seeing a man being tortured. We will see I guess because you know its going to happen.

It would be an absolutely huge deal, propaganda wise, for any terrorist organization to do this. I would expect to see them targeting female soldiers for abduction once they are finally out there in the field in greater numbers.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm in the military, been in for 17 years. It is about time women get into more combat roles. Some women can't be in combat as with some men because the lack the physicality or mentality to do it. If they can do it then I say go for it. As withe the rape thing, if women can can accept this being part of the package, so be it. Some women can, some can't
edit on 15/2/13 by RobFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spookycolt
It would be an absolutely huge deal, propaganda wise, for any terrorist organization to do this. I would expect to see them targeting female soldiers for abduction once they are finally out there in the field in greater numbers.

It will be really bad propaganda for the terrorists. Usually they are attempting to alter some political balance and attitudes, but it's hard to imagine that this would do anything other than cause more retaliation---unless that was exactly their intent.

Taliban are pretty close to this anyway.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join